PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

atjurhs

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 19, 2017
Hey guys,
Propably a good problem to have but...
Any tips for getting a stem bck into the shank, it's so tight I can't get it all the way seated back into the shank!
Todd

lestrout

Lifer
Jan 28, 2010
Chester County, PA
Yo atju
Use a soft lead pencil and rub the point on both the shank and the mortise. But don't overly force the stem in - might crack the shank. If that doesn't work, a few very light licks with real fine sandpaper on the tenon would do it. Just go slow or then your next post will be how to tighten up the fit. ;)
hp

les

cranseiron

Part of the Furniture Now
May 17, 2013
McHenry, MS
I sometimes wax the tennon if it's a tight fit, but lestrout's pencil idea (graphite) is brilliant. It will probably coat the mortise and become a long lasting lubricant.

stvalentine

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 13, 2015
Northern Germany
Putting the stummel into the freezer will contract it further and make the fit even tighter. I use beeswax on the tenon or use fine sandpaper as a last resort.

mikestanley

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Akron area of Ohio
Just out of curiosity, are you separating the stem from the pipe after or during a smoke? If you are, that might be your problem. A warm pipe should not be taken a part.
Mike S.

atjurhs

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 19, 2017
Mike, I do know the rule to never take apart a hot pipe. I always wait to clean mine till at least the day after, and I don't want to interrupt my "relaxed state of mind" from enjoying the smoke.
There is Teflon spray in a can...
Todd

toobfreak

Lifer
Dec 19, 2016
Teflon spray? Graphite? You are going to smoke that thing! If the stem is THAT TIGHT, even if you get it back on by freezing, it will still be under undue stress which could lead to something cracking or breaking!
ADDRESS THE CORE PROBLEM-- it might require a little filing or sanding or something. Get it to where it fits snug but normal at room temp without lubricants or such!

Aug 14, 2012
Open the pipe only when necessary, which is rarely if it is made right. Then replace the stem quickly. Graphite for tightness.

panamacharlie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 13, 2016
You might have a deposit in the bottom of the stummel. Try cleaning it out. Cooling the stem before inserting it quarantees a difficult time removing it the next time!

Status
Not open for further replies.