PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnnyrebel

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 3, 2010
Hey Guys, as you know i've been smoking a pipe for about a year and a half and i keep having issues with bite, regardless of the blend i have the same issue and can't seem to resolve it. The problem im having is when i have a pipe the first 1/4 of the pipe is excellent and everything that i think a pipe should be. Flavorful, cool,and all around excellent. Once i get down about a 1/4 of the way, the quality of my smoke begins to suck. I've tried everything i can think of, drying the tobacco, smoking slower, etc etc. I still have the same issue of the tobacco not staying lit, and getting bitey after that excellent 1/4. Its a bit frustrating, maybe you guys have some tips. Thanks guys.

johnnyrebel

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 3, 2010
I've tried a few different packing methods. 3step, stuff and puff, gravity, and the frank. As for what i've been smoking lately ive been trying to smoke an English blend, which i've had the most difficult time smoking though i continue to smoke it becaue its absolutely delicious! I have the same problem occuring with burleys, and virginias as well though with the 1/4 of the bowl smoking well. Drying time, the most successful smokes i've had with PA..and that was for the most part right out of the pouch. It still left my tongue sore and required a bunch of relighting which seems to bring down the quality of the smoke as well. Im not so much worried about relighting you know, but like i said it does seem to effect how the bowl carries along when i do.
As for the drying time of this blend right now, i've dried it at different times to see if that would help and then finally i've just let it get bone dry which has helped significantly. Before it was very difficult to even get a charring light, and it didn't even seem very moist when using the pinch test. So i've let this get bone dry and it definately lights and relights better and smokes cool in the beginning but still end with the same problem of it being bitey.
thanks for the quick responses, you guys always come through for me!

tokerpipes

Lifer
Jan 16, 2012
Eatonville, WA
+1 on the packing. If its packed too tight you will have it go out faster thus more relights and biting.
It also sounds like you may be tamping to hard.

johnnyrebel

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 3, 2010
I'll give it a try and let you know my results. Maybe try the gravity fill, tapping it without pressing the tobacco down? Would it being too tight make for a wetter smoke? Thanks

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
+1 on toker's comment. I've got a feeling you're not experiencing tongue bite, but rather that you're scorching your tongue with steam. Once you've got the tight packing and heavy tamping under control consider moving to a stronger, more flavorful blend. I know it sounds counter intuitive, but you might be trying to overwork a mild blend for a flavor hit that it just can't deliver. Use TobaccoReviews.com's search tool for full flavored blends, or try to get one of the following:

• SG's Full Virginia Flake

Rattray's Hal O'The Wynd or Marlin Flake

Friebourg & Treyer's Cut Virginia Plug

4noggins Prairie Wind

GL Pease Haddo's Delight

Mac Baren Scottish Blend

Seattle Pipe Club Mississippi River

Hearth & Home Louisiana Red

Two Friends' Valle Crucis
Maybe somebody online has better suggestions for full flavored blends, as I tend to be more familiar with the more delicately flavored stuff.

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
My favorite tip is, "Never cook bacon without wearing a shirt."
I think the guys before me gave good advice. I have never had the problem, so I can't be of much help.

jchaplick

Lifer
May 8, 2011
+1 on packing
I usually have problems on the last bit of the bowl as well, I usually have to take it super extra slow at the end

philip

Lifer
Oct 13, 2011
Puget Sound
Even after I learned to slow down my smoking pace, I still had to be careful with relights.
Puff easy on relights or else it can feel like you are sucking the flame right through the stem.
I like to smoke right to the bottom, but don't feel bad about tossing the last 1/4 bowl if it's not so good.

johnnyrebel

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 3, 2010
Interesting idea cortez, i'll have a look around and get my hands on a few of those blends. Most of which i've heard pretty awesome things anyhow. This English blend im working through now is Mcclelland's 925, if that makes any difference. I've looked at the reviews and heard nothing but good things about it. I'll have a big bowl in a little bit here and give it a go. Thanks guys.

jcsoldit

Lifer
Mar 27, 2010
Wisconsin
Hey Johnny... I had the same problem and my problem was from packing my pipes too tight and puffing to hard and fast. As I recall you are or were a cigarette smokers, so when packing your pipe take a second puff on it before lighting, the resistance you get should be no more and ideally even a little less than you feel when puffing on a cigarette. When taking a puff on a cigarette people usefully suck in the smoke like it’s their last breath, whereas with a pipe it should be more like you have no place else to be.
Don’t hesitate to dig the tobacco out of your pipe and repack if it feels too tight.
I hope everyone’s suggestions help you work it out, because if you like smoking a pipe now you’re going to love it once you get it right.

pipeguy93

Lurker
Mar 19, 2012
I was in the same position a few weeks ago. I just couldn't keep my pipe lit, and the experience started to lack the inherent enjoyment of pipe smoking (tongue bite and constant relighting). So, I left the 3 step method and started the 2 step. Just gravity fill, then tamp down to about the 1/2 way, gravity fill again to just a bit over the top, then tamp this down to just below the rim of the bowl. I've found this reduced relights and made the whole smoking experience more enjoyable.

stanwellman

Might Stick Around
Nov 5, 2011
Keys to enjoyable smoking:

1. Clean pipe. Take your pipe apart and using paper towels, clean the tenon of the pipe stem. Roll a piece of paper towel into the shape of the tenon and clean the mortise hole. Repeat as many times as necessary - paper towel should come from the mortise hole clean.

Ream the bowl to ensure that the cake layer is even and that the walls of the inside of the bowl are vertical and the shape is not “funnel” like.

Use pipe cleaners and clean the stem till pipe cleaner comes out clean. Fold a pipe cleaner in half and clean t he draft hole in the pipe. A folded cleaner should go all the way through. Repeat as many times as necessary until the folded cleaner comes out clean without any traces of tar/juice. Note: depending on how much gunk there is in the draft hole, you may have to use a drill bit before the cleaners will get through – that is OK. Just make sure that you use the right size drill bit.... .

2. Draw: put a clean empty pipe in your mouth and draw air through it. In your mind, remember how it feels – this is the 100 % unrestricted draw. Once you fill your pipe, the draw should not be any less that 70 % of that feeling. Pack it too tight and you will not enjoy the smoke. Note: this is empirical, not an exact science.... .

3. Tamping – the idea of tamping is to bring to burning ambers closer to the unburned tobacco in the bowl, that’s it. Tamping should not change that feeling of 70 % free draw.

4. Tobacco – 17 years of McClelland tobacco smoking and I have yet to find one too moist! Dry the tobacco too much and you end up with something that smokes too hot, too fast and not enough flavor. McClelland tobaccos should be good just the way they are without any additional drying.

5. Speed of smoking – average size bowl (Dunhill group 4 for me) should last you about 45-60 minutes. Sip it, not gulp it. This is like a fine scotch, not a cold beer on a hot day.

6. Enjoy the experiments, this is how you learn and where the fun comes from.

Of all the tip you have/will get, the most important is the clean pipe bit

martiniman

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 6, 2012
Hey experts, one comment I've read about churchwardens is they smoke cooler due to the added length, would that help?

tokerpipes

Lifer
Jan 16, 2012
Eatonville, WA
Stanwell man on the nose. Or you can K.I.S.S.

1 always start vwith a clean pipe.

2 pack less than you think, leave it looser than you think.

3 draw first easier than a cig and harder than a straw

4 char light to get a good even burn on the true light

5 tamp it level but not forceful

6 true light Tamp while you puff

7 when tamping do it lighter than you think and less often( helps build the cake)

And enjoy it don't over work it.

johnnyrebel

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 3, 2010
hey guys, I gave packing it lighter a shot but i think i still packed it a little too tight. I still had about the same results that i've been having. I think i'll need to pack much lighter, even with my tobacco being bone dry i still managed to find my pipe to be getting wet about 3/4 of the way through. I think this might be due to it being too tight and in turn, drawing too hard. So it must be the steam that is causing me the problems. In short, you guys were on point. Thanks alot. Quick responses and great advice..only at PM!

gprice74

Lurker
Apr 14, 2012
I've found that towards the end of the bowl, I experience some gurgle and moisture is coming up to the stem. That moisture I've found stings quite a bit. To get rid of it, I just run a pipe cleaner thru, wick it up and finish my smoke.

tokerpipes

Lifer
Jan 16, 2012
Eatonville, WA
You could always gently blow the moisture back through the draft hole. Or you could tip the bowl or thumb the bowl and flick the moisture out. Its common every one has the way that works for them also. Its all personal prefrence when it comes down to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.