PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pepe3rd1

Lurker
Jun 1, 2014
Looking at the Jirsa pipes on P&C particularly the bent egg. Anyone try these pipes, any recommendations?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I've mostly been aware of Czech pipes at the very low end basket pipe level, and with these

pipes, the briars look fair enough but the stem materials look temporary. The Czech stamp

is often barely legible for the rough imprint on the plastic. So here are some higher end pipes

from the Czechs. There are two price levels, $99 and $141, or thereabouts. For either of these

prices you can get a wide selection of Savenellis, lower end Mastra de Paja, mid-level Chacoms,

etc. And many more. If you want to be a pioneer with the "better" Czech pipes, I'd keep it at the

$99 level, and see what you get. They look very nice. But compared to the old trusted names,

you are taking a chance. Plenty of Neerups, Petersons, Nordings, Stanwells, Johs, BC's, and

others in the price range.

pepe3rd1

Lurker
Jun 1, 2014
Thanks for the info, gives me food for thought,

I currently own 2 Savinelli and a few petersons, love em both, so I take your advice seriously!

Thanks again!

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
This is the one Jirsa that I own. It's a fine smoker, but it doesn't pass a pipe cleaner unless

I put a slight bend in the tip. Well worth the money -- somewhere in the $75 - $100 range IIRC.

BTW, notice the high profile of the button in this early picture -- very annoying. I have since

reduced the profile to resemble Italian style bits, and now it's a joy to smoke.

DSCN0461.jpg

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Cortez, thanks for the mini review on Jirsa pipes. From the PC photos online the button problem

may have been resolved. One or two others have also had a good experience with these pipes,

so maybe Jirsa can get a foothold in the U.S. Right now, I don't think I'd buy one unless I could

handle it first, but I have quite a few pipes. These sound at least worthy of consideration.

igloo

Lifer
Jan 17, 2010
woodlands tx
I own one and it smokes as well as anything else in the rack and passes a pipe cleaner .I don't consider it a basket pipe and consider it less a risk than a new Peterson .Sometimes I think Roth has been reincarnated . :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.