Any Suggestions For A Good Driving Tobacco?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

fluffie666

Can't Leave
Apr 4, 2014
I'll be on the road tonight for a good 600 to 700 miles and I'm looking for suggestions on an easy smoking, cool burning, high end of medium nic hit baccy that I can easily load into my cobs. Something I can smoke and not think about to much. I'm not really into aros or anything flavored. What do you folks smoke on long rides? I can kind of enjoy the burning charachteristics of Price Albert and Carter Hall but the quality of the tobacco on those two turn me off. What's a good driving smoke?

fluffie666

Can't Leave
Apr 4, 2014
Tango, you're a genius! I forgot I had some tins of Royal Yacht in my cabinet. I'm going to bust one open and start airing it out for the ride. I've wanted to try it forever but never got around to it. Perfect. Thanx!

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
I personally would probably smoke something from H&H Marquee series as they never seem to need any drying time and few relights.

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
Ash I keep forgetting to add some of that to my order after Dan told me about it.

backwoodsjack

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 25, 2015
Central Minnesota
I'll second War Horse. I pack a bowl of Bar and it will smoke trouble free for ever.

usually in the truck, I ll smoke WH bar, because it needs very little or no attention, just burns and burns.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Even steady slow burn with few relights. Various flakes you've learned how to rub-out (or otherwise prepare) and pack would do the job. Frog Morton Cellar ( not a flake of course) is a fine burner and can be an all-day smoke, but there are a number in this category. McB's Latakia Flake, if you are accustomed to it and know how to prepare and pack, would do well. But many others. Know-how is the key. A nice Americana blend from Russ O. is Log Cabin, Va/bur/Cav. The main point is, you need to know the blend and how it works in advance. You don't want to be learning while you enjoy your drive. I love Semois, but I find even in a big deep bowl, it burns a little fast, not like Five Brothers, but faster than that much leaf usually takes. (It comes quite dry and smokes well that way, just not a long meditative smoke.) But you could take it and try it, along with several others.

akfilm

Can't Leave
Mar 2, 2016
My current driving smokes for long trips are Dunhill Early Morning Pipe, MacBaren HH Vintage Syrian, and Rattrays Highland Targe

tschiraldi

Lifer
Dec 14, 2015
Ohio
McClelland Boston 1776. Excellent Virginia that is easy to pack, burns well, stays lit, & smells good, too! In my top 5.
Tim

fluffie666

Can't Leave
Apr 4, 2014
Beautiful! Thanks so much for all the tasty suggestions! I'm going to hit the road with some Royal Yacht, Black House and War Horse Ready Rubbed. Those are the tobaccos I had in my cabinet already. I have a tin of St. bruno Flake but not the ready rubbed version. No time to prepare flakes at this point. The open road is calling. When I get back my wallet is going to be hurting because all of you just released the TAD with all those mighty fine suggestions. I'll have to spend some money to get a bunch of new tins. Thanks all! Happy trails and smokes folks.

instymp

Lifer
Jul 30, 2012
If you are leaving tonight, better bring what you got. Unless you are near a baccy shop that has all.

Status
Not open for further replies.