Any Suggestions for a Full Bodied US Made Straight Virginia?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
After trying most of McClelland's straight Virginia blends and finding none that really hit the mark I wondered if there might be another blender that makes a medium to full strength and full bodied straight Virginia.
Something along the lines of FVF is what I am looking for. The McClelland blends weren't exactly horrible, it's just I found them to be somewhat 'thin' in the flavour department (though I do love their 2015 VaPer).
Any Suggestions please?
Regards,
Jay.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Something along the lines of FVF is what I am looking for.
As someone who is rather fond of FVF when blended with some Burleys, I have to say you have set the bar high here.
People are probably going to mention this:
http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/blend/915/peter-stokkebye-luxury-curly-cut

http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/blend/917/peter-stokkebye-luxury-twist-flake

http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/blend/3607/sutliff-tobacco-company-virginia-slices-507-c
But for me, I would suggest this:
https://www.smokingpipes.com/pipe-tobacco/cornell-diehl/Yorktown/product_id/134986/bulk

https://www.smokingpipes.com/pipe-tobacco/cornell-diehl/Virginia-Flake/product_id/79409/bulk
Both glorious combinations. I hope you encounter them at some point.

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
Consider:
GL Pease Union Square

Hearth and Home Marble Kake or Virginia Memories

Mac Barren has several but I don't recall if they're American but they make several.

hobie1dog

Lifer
Jun 5, 2010
Cornelius, NC
McCranies- Red Ribbon
From tobaccoreviews:

A beautifully aged Red Virginia like no other. Brimming with rich, mellow flavor as only nature can provide. A special allotment of prime 1996 crop North Carolina leaf has been secured for our discriminating pipe smokers. The softest, most enjoyable straight Virginia we've ever smoked. With a light vacuum seal, the tobacco will continue to mellow with age.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I don't think any American Virginias are hot pressed (implying flake -- though that can always be rubbed out before packaging).

For a full-bodied pure Virginia flake, I'd 2nd brass' recommendation, G. L. Pease - Union Square.

G.L.Pease blends are renown for their body, clarity and presence.

There are lots of choices that meet your criteria if you admit Perique in the blend.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Peter stokkebye isn't us made. I think you may just prefer the African Va's to American if you don't care for mcclellends

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
C&D Yorktown is quite good for a straight Virginia, as is GL Pease Union Square. I'd also suggest that you give McClelland another shot with its recently released 40th Anniversary blend and also Aurora. There's also Peretti's Oxford Flake.
For something different, try some red Virginia, specifically McCrainie's Red Ribbon and Red Flake. I'm not sure who, besides McCrainie's, carries it or if McCrainie's ships to England, but it's by far my favorite red Virginia.

alexnc

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 25, 2015
Southeast US
C&D Opening Night is a nice medium straight VA - and of course, can't argue with Union Square

McCranies wants you to mail them a check - not much on technology there

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Thanks for the tips gents. I have actually got a tin of Union Square and one of Opening Night, again, neither are bad, they just seem to be lacking in depth of flavour.
As I write this I am puffing on a bowl of Boston 1776 that has about two years on it but I'm really struggling to get anything out of it.
I will try some C&D Virginia Flake and some Red Ribbon on my next order. Oxford Flake will likely be ordered too though opinions vary hugely on Tobaccoreviews.com on that particular blend.
"There are lots of choices that meet your criteria if you admit Perique in the blend."
Cortez, I'm quite partial to VaPers but I'm content with just St. James Flake and McClelland's 2015 for the time being.
Regards,
Jay.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Straight Virginia blends are not flavor powerhouses, They do gain in flavor with age, but not much for 4-5 years.
There are only a few reviewers I take seriously at TR, among them JimInks, DK, Drums&Beer, SteelCowboy GentlemanZombie and FrTom. Unlike most of the others they give me an idea of what a blend tastes like. They also avoid publishing reviews that are absolutely stupid, like the ones that begin "I really don't like "x" - meaning a whole genre of blends - then proceed to trash the blend they're reviewing because it's of that genre. That's when I know I'm dealing with a moron and strike the moron off the reading list.
Having polished off the 1/2 pound of C&D Yorktown that I had open, it's time to stock up on it in bulk. I was pleasantly surprised with this one.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Jay, I would say that overall you and I have a pretty similar palate. I mostly prefer the British tobacco's and adore Gawith's VA's. I have recently discovered a much overlooked tobacco made by McClelland that I find outstanding. It's from their Ashton Revival series, Brindle Flake. It's good straight out of the tin unlike a lot of their other tobaccos that need 4 weeks of oxygen before they really bloom. This one is my replacement for Klondike Gold which was recently taken off of the American market. I just recently stocked up on a bunch of tins of this stuff for the cellar. It's one ya might want to give a whirl.
Brindle Flake

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"Straight Virginia blends are not flavor powerhouses,"
Jesse, I would say FVF is not far off being a 'flavour powerhouse', or at least to my palate anyway. Oodles of creamy flavour from first light to the very end...though sufficient airing is required to get the most from it.
Hawky, yes it appears we do have similar tastes. Have you tried this yet?
http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/blend/9562/gawith-hoggarth-co-westmorland-slices
Regards,
Jay.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Hawky, yes it appears we do have similar tastes. Have you tried this yet?
http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/blend/9562/gawith-hoggarth-co-westmorland-slices
Regards,
Jay.
Yes, Jay, I love Westmorland Slices but unfortunately it's very hard to get here in the States. If it were available it would most definitely be an everyday smoke for me. Absolutely love the stuff. I find it pretty dang similar to the late great Bracken Flake and luckily I came across a lot of 5 tins from 2011 so until those run out I'll be fine but when those run out I'll have to figure out a way to get me a good deal of the stuff. I actually have a review of it up on TR.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Hawky, I actually saw your review after I posted my last message. I'm well pleased you like it, it really is a tasty blend.
Regards Bracken Flake, that sounds right up my street though sadly no longer available so I will never know what I have missed :crying:
Regards,
Jay.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
I'd like to submit PenHooker as a st va alternative. It does have VA grown Canada, as well as the US, but it's all good.

Comparable to Yorktown, imho.

Status
Not open for further replies.