banner

Pipes Magazine » General Discussion

Tags:   

Any Suggested Reads?

(45 posts)
  1. shayde

shayde

Login to Send PM

Hey guys, there is nothing more relaxing than sitting around reading a book and smoking a pipe IMHO.
    I'm working on the list of reads for next year and was wondering if anyone had any recommendations.

So far I've got both Volumes of the Sherlock Holmes stories, The Hobbit and the LoTR Trilogy, The Harry Potter Books,
    Edgar Allan Poe's detective stories of Dupin.

And tobacco wise my list of smokes for the year goes as follows:
    Just For Him's Middle Earth Series
    Cornell & Diehl Nutty Irishman
    Tewksbury's Hobbits Weed
    McClelland's 221b Series
    Dunhill - EMP and Nightcap

Any suggested reads or smokes are appreciated.

"I have some friends, some honest friends, and honest friends are few; My pipe of briar, my open fire, A book that's not too new." -Robert W. Service

"You think I wanted to?! Ryan...it was peanut butter"
    Posted 5 years ago #
  2. flakyjakey

flakyjakey

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

If you are American, and even if you are not, anything by Cormac McCarthy - arguably the best living US writer. He has a unique writing style; his books are mostly set on the border with Mexico. They are atmospheric and often violent. They stay with you long after you have finished.

IMHO "Red Meridian" is his masterpiece; I wish I could afford a first edition !! lol

Posted 5 years ago #
  3. shayde

shayde

Login to Send PM

I will definitely check it out thanks for the suggestion. Does he have a series or are they stand alone books?

Posted 5 years ago #
  4. flakyjakey

flakyjakey

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

@shayde, they are stand alone books, but he does have one trilogy which became very famous. It is called the 'Border Trilogy' which makes a great start with "All the Pretty Horses". One of his most recent, and accessible, books "No Country for Old Men" was made into a successful movie.

Posted 5 years ago #
  5. dochudson

dochudson

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Daniel Silva - real page turners. the first three are stand-alones. I would suggest starting with his forth where Gabe Allon is introduced,

I Enjoy Aromatics
    I Enjoy Peterson Pipes
    Posted 5 years ago #
  6. mrjerke

JJ Pipes

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I really enjoyed Rick Newcombe's "In Search of Pipe Dreams. It does mainly center on his acquisition of high end pipes but I found it highly entertaining. Lots of good tips and nuggets in there too.

Which of the tobacco did you enjoy? Then we could help with some suggestions.

Jordan

"The trick is to enjoy life. Don't wish away your days, waiting for better ones ahead." - Marjorie Pay Hinckley
    Posted 5 years ago #
  7. boudreaux

boudreaux

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

James Lee Burke's list

One of my favorite authors. Has ability to put you in the story's environment, which keeps you riveted to the tale. Highly recommended.

--boudreaux
    Posted 5 years ago #
  8. troutface

troutface

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

+1 on McCarthy. Just read The Road. It was scary and depressing and one of the best books I've read in a long time.

"Each of you be a light unto yourself; betake yourself to no external refuge. Hold fast to the Truth. Look not for refuge to anyone beside yourself." -The Buddha
    Posted 5 years ago #
  9. easygoer

easygoer

Login to Send PM

Cormac McCarthy's books are outstanding but sometimes for a uneducated bum like myself I find his artistic prose and profound piercing examination of the human condition a little to much. If you want a easier read western Larry McMurtry's Lonesome Dove series might be a good read.

Posted 5 years ago #
  10. tbradsim1

tbradsim1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Cormac books are great reads but they leave me very sad, Burkes books are also great reads, I fished with his Lawyer brother from New Iberia, we both had camps at Cypremort Point. Robert Crais is another good author, his last book about a service dog that was in Afganastan is damn good.

The Old Cajun
    Posted 5 years ago #
  11. flakyjakey

flakyjakey

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

If you like seafaring books IMO there are none better than Patrick O'Brian's series of 20 wonderful novels about naval life during the Napoleonic wars

Posted 5 years ago #
  12. leg59

leg59

Login to Send PM

I love good SF. Can't beat David Drake for a good read. The Belisarius series he co-authored with Eric Flint is exceptional.

Kind Regards
    Posted 5 years ago #
  13. onepyrotec

onepyrotec

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I like old, real life story, obscure books. This winter I have picked out a 1926 book, Our Trip Around The World * Benedict.

Posted 5 years ago #
  14. auslander

auslander

Login to Send PM

The story of Pi-Yann Martel
    Hitch hikers guide to the galaxy (all of them)-Douglas Adams
    Fierce Invalids home from hot climates - Tom Robbins
    The adventures of Tom Sawyer - Mark Twain duh
    A song of ice and fire books - George R.R Martin
    Zen and the art of Motorcycle maintenance - Robert M Pirsig

Posted 5 years ago #
  15. joeahearn

joeahearn

Login to Send PM

I second the recommendations for Cormac MacCarthy and James Lee Burke. A good place to start with MacCarthy is to read either The Road or Blood Meridian. Burke's Dave Robicheaux mysteries are really terrific--truly good novels that just happen to by mysteries set in New Orleans and Southern Louisiana.

I'd also recommend Laura Hillebrand's book, Unbroken, if you haven't read it yet. It is a non-fiction account of one of the most amazing WWII survival stories you will ever read.

Other books I've read that I think may have general appeal:

Ron Hansen, The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford (also a very good movie)
    Ernest Hemingway's first collection of stories, In Our Time
    Stephen Hunter, Dirty White Boys, an action/mystery novel

Posted 5 years ago #
  16. boudreaux

boudreaux

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I liked Pale Horse Coming by Stephen Hunter. Have read most of his books. Seems to be a gun enthusiast of sorts.

If you want a long read, Have a look at the 2,400 page trilogy by John Jakes. It takes place before, during, and after the American Civil War. The titles are: North and South, Love and War, and Heaven and Hell.

North and South was made into a series for television.

Posted 5 years ago #
  17. kashmir

kashmir

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The Australian author Alan Moorhead, a combat journalist in the Second World War: African Trilogy, Desert,War and Eclipse. Cornelius Ryan's A Bridge Too Far is also very good. As is David Fraser's Knights Cross, a biography of Erwin Rommel.

The pipe eases you into the present moment - savor your pipe & you'll savor this moment.
    Posted 5 years ago #
  18. terrygoldman123

terrygoldman123

Login to Send PM

I second the Forum members who recommended the following:

James Lee Burke-the VERY BEST of the American mystery writers. His prose in simply unparalleled. Read the series from the beginning.

Robert Crais- His latest as the Old Cajun reminds us, "Suspect" is as good a page turner as there ever was or will be.

Daniel Silva- featuring Gabriel Allon, an Israeli agent who is also an art restorer. Foreign intrigue taken to new heights.

Lee Child-the Jack Reacher series. Good writing, better plots.

Posted 5 years ago #
  19. beezer

beezer

Login to Send PM

I recommend the good book. Try reading through all 66 books of the Bible.

Posted 5 years ago #
  20. 05venturer

05venturer

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

"A Walk in Thw Woods" by Bill Bryson and " American Sniper" the Autobiography of Chris Kyle are both fantastic reads.

As far as tobacco goes Frog Morton Cellar is a must try.

Kent

Posted 5 years ago #
  21. heffeweisse

heffeweisse

Login to Send PM

I enjoy a fine pipe smoke when reading as we'll. However, I noticed that the book list you posted is primarily fiction. Though I do not know how open you are to other book genres. If you like, I can recommend non-fiction books

Posted 5 years ago #
  22. heffeweisse

heffeweisse

Login to Send PM

I enjoy a fine pipe smoke when reading as we'll. However, I noticed that the book list you posted is primarily fiction. Though I do not know how open you are to other book genres. If you like, I can recommend non-fiction books

Posted 5 years ago #
  23. werdna

werdna

Login to Send PM

If you enjoy adventure:

Adrift: Seventy-Six Days Lost at Sea
    Callahan, Steven

Wintertide
    Doxer, Debra

Life of Pi
    Martel, Yann

Hell Around the Horn
    Spilman, Rick

Zero Hour
    Miller, Benjamin E.

Kon-Tiki
    Heyerdahl, Thor

Rendezvous with Rama
    Clarke, Arthur C.

If you enjoy drama:

Travels with Charlie: In Search of America
    Steinbeck, John

Silas Marner
    Eliot, George

A Tale of Two Cities
    Dickens, Charles

The Lottery
    Jackson, Shirley

And to all a good night.
    Posted 5 years ago #
  24. mustanggt

mustanggt

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Like spy stuff and the fight against terrorists you can't beat any book by Vince Flynn or Brad Thor keep you on the edge of your seat.

Posted 5 years ago #
  25. sothron

Perique

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I always recommend Steinbeck. Start with Grapes of Wrath, and East of Eden.

Posted 5 years ago #
  26. shaintiques

shaintiques

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Our own politicalmonster, Erin McDowell has written a book called Dark Luminance. It is on Amazon and is a great sci fi read.

I know what I need, smoke, I can't recall the last time I tasted it....Gandalf in the mines of Moria.

"we shall have to share pipes, as good friends must at a pinch'....'I keep a treasure or two near my skin, as precious as rings to me. Here's one: my old wooden pipe. And here's another an unused one...He held up a small pipe with a wide flattened bowl, and handed it to Gimli. 'Does that settle the score between us', said Merry. 'Most noble hobbit, it leaves me deep in your debt."
    Posted 5 years ago #
  27. captainsousie

captainsousie

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The Discworld series but Terry Pratchett. Comic fantasy that can't be beat. Just watch out you don't laugh while trying to smoke, it's not good for your clothing.

Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.
    Posted 5 years ago #
  28. petes03

petes03

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

If you like modern adventure, I'd suggest anything by Clive Cussler. His books are series books, but they can be read as stand alones the way they're written. I'd suggest the Fargo series or the Dirk Pitt series. Spartan Gold is the first in the Fargo series, and Pacific Vortex is the first in the Dirk Pitt series.

Posted 5 years ago #
  29. lostandfound

lostandfound

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

This thread could go on for ages, and one could spend an eternity reading what has, and what will, and what could possibly be added if this thread did go on for ages. That being said:

C.S. Lewis' "Out of the Silent Planet" series.
    -A three-book modern day (C.S. Lewis' modern day) retelling of Paradise Lost, on Mars.

We, the Drowned by Kirsten Jensen.
    -Seafaring - WWI and WWII. Begins with the story of one Danish man by the last name of Madsen, and progresses to tell the story of one or more of his heirs.

The City of Dreaming Books by Walter Moers.
    - A fun and imaginative story (now accompanied by a sequel), that is purely for the kid in you. Dinosaurs, potions, hypnosis-inducing symphonies, living books, and subterranean passageways teeming with homicidal "Bookhunters".

Jerod
    Posted 5 years ago #
  30. thedudeabides

thedudeabides

Login to Send PM

My apologies if this one has already been listed, but The Alienist by Caleb Carr would make a great pipe-smoking read. The sequel (The Angel of Darkness) is also entertaining. Do not be put off by the name, as it is a work of historical fiction following the adventures of a late 19th century (or maybe early 20th century) psychiatrist (then known as "alienists") in New York City. A very atmospheric murder mystery written by an author with a keen eye for historical detail, it was one of my favorite books of the 1990s.

Posted 5 years ago #
  31. cmdrmcbragg

cmdrmcbragg

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I love reading while smoking my pipe, and it really doesn't matter what it is for me: politics, sports, fantasy, classics. I'm reading Bram Stoker's Dracula for the first time. Before that I had just finished Tolkien's Return of the King.

Posted 5 years ago #
  32. User has not uploaded an avatar

chonkeyb1

Login to Send PM

Best book ive read recently was the three day affair by kardos good quick read, you may also enjoy i just want my pants back.

Posted 5 years ago #
  33. boudreaux

boudreaux

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Another compelling mystery that I can think of is The Cabinet of Curiosities by Douglas Preston & Lincoln Child.

Posted 5 years ago #
  34. rault

Raul T

Login to Send PM

Here are some recommendations; I tried to mix it up as much as possible. Let me know if you need any more recommendations.

The Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch. Think of a heist film in a fantasy setting. The book is very well written and is a first in the Gentleman Bastards setting.

The Song of Ice and Fire series (the First book is titled Game of Thrones) By George RR Martin. The only series that has ever had me as hooked as Lord of The Rings.

Life by Keith Richards. A very interesting Autobiography by the Guitarist of the Rolling Stones.

The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafon A beautifully written story that you will not be able to put down.

In the Garden of Beasts by Erik Larson. A book about William E. Dodd the Ambassador for the USA in Germany during the Nazi Regime.

Posted 5 years ago #
  35. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

shayde et all;

If you want some fun and good reads I'd suggest anything written by Regis McCafferty. A variety of books / story lines and eras covered. All have references to pipes. Regis being a founding member of the NASPC.

You can find his books on Amazon here.

http://www.amazon.ca/s/184-1304995-9308744?_encoding=UTF8&field-author=Regis%20McCafferty&search-alias=books-ca

I have no affiliation with Amazon or Regis, although I am friends with Regis and have a number of his writings.

Regards
    BB

Posted 5 years ago #
  36. bobpnm

bobpnm

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I do a lot of reading for work. For entertainment I have recently enjoyed an author named C.J. Box. His series about a Wyoming game warden named Joe Picket is excellent.

Posted 5 years ago #
  37. User has not uploaded an avatar

instymp

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

+1 Mustang, too bad Vince passed, a young man.
    +1 Pete... but Dirks are the best to me.

Posted 5 years ago #
  38. petes03

petes03

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

@instymp, the fist one I read was Arctic Drift from the Dirk Pitt series. At the time, I had no idea it was part of a series, I just bought it on a whim. I couldn't put it down! Since then, I've read all of the Pitt series, and quite a few of his others, including all of the Fargo series ( I think). Everything I've read of Cussler's has been fun, exciting, and hard to put down! I'm not reading one currently, but I should be!

Posted 5 years ago #
  39. User has not uploaded an avatar

instymp

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Pete, the last couple of his newest, co-authored with someone else ...to me aren't as good as what he wrote. Only my option. & he was/is one of my favorite. Bought all & love them.

Posted 5 years ago #
  40. undecagon

undecagon

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Some of the best High Fantasy, because not only is the world excellent, but the prose is above anything else in the genre, is the King Killer Chronicles by Patrick Rothfuss.

Book 1 is called The Name of the Wind.

"I said NO camels, that's FIVE camels...can't you count?!"
    AJHvibes.com
    Posted 5 years ago #
  41. reichenbach

reichenbach

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I am battling Moby Dick for the first time, myself. I would like to second the recommendations of Cormac McCarthy, Regis McCafferty and Pat O'Brien.

If you like crime fiction, definitely check out Ken Bruen. He has a number of stand alone books and two series: One set in Galway starring a PI named Jack Taylor and the other is set in London's Metropolitan Police starring DS Brant and DCI Roberts. I've read all of both series and they are fantastic. His writing style rattles off like a machine gun. Just be careful as you will probably get so carried away that you'll probably puff a hole in your pipe if you.

As a side note, some of the Jack Taylor books were made into a TV series for Irish television and you can find them on Netflix.

Posted 5 years ago #
  42. reichenbach

reichenbach

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Should have mentioned that the first in the Jack Taylor is called The Guards and the first of Brant/Roberts is called A White Arrest but is also published in a volume with the next two novels and that volume is called The White Trilogy.

Posted 5 years ago #
  43. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

For quick fun reading, tough to beat The Travis McGee Series by John D. MacDonald.

Harris
    Posted 5 years ago #
  44. shayde

shayde

Login to Send PM

It's moments like this that I love this website I now have an ever growing plethora of books to choose from. Thank you all for the recommendations and feel free to continue leaving more

Posted 5 years ago #
  45. boudreaux

boudreaux

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

P.T. Deutermann is another good suspense author who's an easy read. Check out The Cat Dancers and other book synopses here: P.T. Deutermann book gallery

Posted 5 years ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   judcole