PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

eaglerico

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
I just pulled the trigger on a 12oz tub of Sugar Barrel. I have been eyeing it for a while and all the review seems like it would be up my alley. Any one here have any experience? This is the first time I have pulled the trigger on such a large amount in untested waters.
From my under standing it is like Carter Hall but Sweeter. Is this true?

05venturer

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
Amery,WI
i was thinking about picking some up also but hate to buy a large quantity and not like it. I am a big fan of Carter Hall though it is my daily smoke.

eaglerico

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
I am actually hoping it is sweet. That is what I am looking for. I just ordered my first tin of Hyde Park hoping for a sugar spiked blend. I really hope I like it but if I don't I will give a lot of people here who want to try it a chance at it.

05venturer

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
Amery,WI
Has anyone ever noticed tongue bite with sugar barrel in comparison to CH? I get none with Carter Hall which is one of the reason I really like it but a little more sweetness would be ok too.

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Sugar Barrel is about the closet thing to an aromatic I like. It does tend to bite me just a bit so like Rothnh suggests I cut it with a bit of CH or PA.

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
The OTCs have recently slipped quite a bit in my personal rankings...
I had high hopes for Sugar Barrel but I am glad I didn't go for the tub. It's not that its bad, I'd just rather have something else, namely straight VA or burley. I think I find the codger burleys in general a little too processed these days.
They certainly have their pros, but they have plenty of cons as well.
If you don't like it I am sure someone will take it off your hands in a fair trade...
As for me, I will revisit the blend again later on but I'm not sure how much of a difference it'll make.
I did not have a problem with bite so much as the flavours degraded too much for my liking as the bowl progressed - and that was with slow smoking. I liked the Prince better but I don't find myself reaching for that either.

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
Roth,
I don't doubt that they have their charms. I used to see glimpses of their appeal but I was never converted.
Trust me, if they were cheap and easily accessible I would probably smoke them much more frequently.
If I could get a pouch of the stuff for $4 at the local gas bar whenever my heart desired, I'd probably learn to love them pretty fast.
As it stands, however, I find myself wanting a bit more of a flavour punch whenever I light up. (Which has become less and less frequent)
I also find myself susceptible to a certain type of OTC cottonmouth/aftertaste, probably from the PG or some other humectant. That keeps me from enjoying the experience a little bit and is not present with other blends.
I have never tried Carter Hall or Walnut but I am glad to see that you gents are finding some nice combinations.
The Middleton tobaccos are perfect for cellaring because their tubs and humectants retain freshness so well - they seem to be a good choice for stocking up if you like that sort of thing!

oldredbeard

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 20, 2012
I really like PA and CH, and really want to try Walnut, Sugar Barrel, Velvet, and Kentucky Club Mild. They are not as easy to get here, and I hate to order the tubs without having a good idea if I will like them. I also really want to try a corn cob pipe, because so many here recommend them.
Well, I know this didn't help. Just my thoughts I guess.

wildcat

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 1, 2012
I really like PA and CH, and really want to try Walnut, Sugar Barrel, Velvet, and Kentucky Club Mild. They are not as easy to get here, and I hate to order the tubs without having a good idea if I will like them. I also really want to try a corn cob pipe, because so many here recommend them.

Love Sugar Barrel! Took to it right away, ordered a tub blindly to start. Glad I did!
Redbeard, you've mentioned my standard favorites and all day smokers! SB,CH,PA,KCM,Walnut and Velvet!! I'll shoot you a PM.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
I like Sugar Barrel, too. I never thought I would, but gave it a try recently, and am almost finished with my stash of it. Doesn't bite me any, but few blends do.
Sothron: I like Angler's Dream quite a bit. There's no casing, but you do have to hydrate it when you get it. I find it has a nice sweet, but not too sweet flavor. Very relaxing. It does have a little complexity compared to the average OTC. I like the hint of cinnamon and honey which does not drown out the nutty flavor. But it has less of a nutty taste than some burley blends. Worth the money to me ($25.95 for 14 ounces).
I also like Old Companion. It's a lot like an OTC without the casing. A little less sweet than CH or SWR. Like AD, you have hydrate it first to get the good flavor. And at $14.95 for an 8 ounce tin, it's reasonably priced.

Status
Not open for further replies.