Pipes Magazine » Pipe Tobacco Discussion

Tags:   

Any Sugar Barrel Fans Here?

(17 posts)
  1. eaglerico

eaglerico

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I just pulled the trigger on a 12oz tub of Sugar Barrel. I have been eyeing it for a while and all the review seems like it would be up my alley. Any one here have any experience? This is the first time I have pulled the trigger on such a large amount in untested waters.

From my under standing it is like Carter Hall but Sweeter. Is this true?

Glenn
    Posted 1 year ago #
  2. dochudson

dochudson

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I enjoy it.. I can buy it bulk at my local B&M and always have some on hand,

I Enjoy Aromatics
    I Enjoy Peterson Pipes
    Posted 1 year ago #
  3. 05venturer

05venturer

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

i was thinking about picking some up also but hate to buy a large quantity and not like it. I am a big fan of Carter Hall though it is my daily smoke.

Kent

Posted 1 year ago #
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

From my under standing it is like Carter Hall but Sweeter. Is this true?

I tried it years ago and you're right, to me, it was a mild aromatic, a bit too sweet, so I stuck with Carter Hall. But hey, if it's too sweet for you, you can always cut it with CH.

Posted 1 year ago #
  5. eaglerico

eaglerico

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I am actually hoping it is sweet. That is what I am looking for. I just ordered my first tin of Hyde Park hoping for a sugar spiked blend. I really hope I like it but if I don't I will give a lot of people here who want to try it a chance at it.

Posted 1 year ago #
  6. 05venturer

05venturer

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Has anyone ever noticed tongue bite with sugar barrel in comparison to CH? I get none with Carter Hall which is one of the reason I really like it but a little more sweetness would be ok too.

Posted 1 year ago #
  7. ejames

ejames

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Sugar Barrel is about the closet thing to an aromatic I like. It does tend to bite me just a bit so like Rothnh suggests I cut it with a bit of CH or PA.

Posted 1 year ago #
  8. 05venturer

05venturer

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

so maybe a 50/50 blend of SB & CH would be a good place to start?

Posted 1 year ago #
  9. nsfisher

nsfisher

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

If you are prone to bite, I would start of with 70/30 CH/SB untill you get a feel for it.

If at first you don't succeed, have another bowl.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  10. sparroa

simenon

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The OTCs have recently slipped quite a bit in my personal rankings...

I had high hopes for Sugar Barrel but I am glad I didn't go for the tub. It's not that its bad, I'd just rather have something else, namely straight VA or burley. I think I find the codger burleys in general a little too processed these days.

They certainly have their pros, but they have plenty of cons as well.

If you don't like it I am sure someone will take it off your hands in a fair trade...

As for me, I will revisit the blend again later on but I'm not sure how much of a difference it'll make.

I did not have a problem with bite so much as the flavours degraded too much for my liking as the bowl progressed - and that was with slow smoking. I liked the Prince better but I don't find myself reaching for that either.

Posted 1 year ago #
  11. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

At Michael's (nsfisher's) suggestion, I just brought Carter Hall into my rotation. I mix it about 50/50 with Walnut (called "Wal-Hall"). Don't get me wrong, it won't have anyone doing cartwheels, but I like it quite a bit. I always did enjoy Carter Hall (my father-in-law preferred and smoked PA for years) but like many, I got away from it years ago. Like an old frined, it's nice to have it back and, for me, the Walnut gives Wal-Hall a nice punch.

Posted 1 year ago #
  12. sparroa

simenon

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Roth,

I don't doubt that they have their charms. I used to see glimpses of their appeal but I was never converted.

Trust me, if they were cheap and easily accessible I would probably smoke them much more frequently.

If I could get a pouch of the stuff for $4 at the local gas bar whenever my heart desired, I'd probably learn to love them pretty fast.

As it stands, however, I find myself wanting a bit more of a flavour punch whenever I light up. (Which has become less and less frequent)

I also find myself susceptible to a certain type of OTC cottonmouth/aftertaste, probably from the PG or some other humectant. That keeps me from enjoying the experience a little bit and is not present with other blends.

I have never tried Carter Hall or Walnut but I am glad to see that you gents are finding some nice combinations.

The Middleton tobaccos are perfect for cellaring because their tubs and humectants retain freshness so well - they seem to be a good choice for stocking up if you like that sort of thing!

Posted 1 year ago #
  13. sothron

Perique

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

How do you OTC smokers find Angler's Dream as a substitute for the heavy-PG OTC blends?

Posted 1 year ago #
  14. oldredbeard

oldredbeard

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I really like PA and CH, and really want to try Walnut, Sugar Barrel, Velvet, and Kentucky Club Mild. They are not as easy to get here, and I hate to order the tubs without having a good idea if I will like them. I also really want to try a corn cob pipe, because so many here recommend them.

Well, I know this didn't help. Just my thoughts I guess.

I'm not complaining.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  15. wildcat

wildcat

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I really like PA and CH, and really want to try Walnut, Sugar Barrel, Velvet, and Kentucky Club Mild. They are not as easy to get here, and I hate to order the tubs without having a good idea if I will like them. I also really want to try a corn cob pipe, because so many here recommend them.

Love Sugar Barrel! Took to it right away, ordered a tub blindly to start. Glad I did!

Redbeard, you've mentioned my standard favorites and all day smokers! SB,CH,PA,KCM,Walnut and Velvet!! I'll shoot you a PM.

For whereas men of an older school, like myself, smoke for the pleasure of smoking...
    A.A. Milne
    Posted 1 year ago #
  16. papipeguy

papipeguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

It's been a long time since I smoke SB but as aro burley's go I remember liking it quite a bit. Good luck with it.

Blowin' smoke since 1970.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  17. jiminks

JimInks

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I like Sugar Barrel, too. I never thought I would, but gave it a try recently, and am almost finished with my stash of it. Doesn't bite me any, but few blends do.

Sothron: I like Angler's Dream quite a bit. There's no casing, but you do have to hydrate it when you get it. I find it has a nice sweet, but not too sweet flavor. Very relaxing. It does have a little complexity compared to the average OTC. I like the hint of cinnamon and honey which does not drown out the nutty flavor. But it has less of a nutty taste than some burley blends. Worth the money to me ($25.95 for 14 ounces).

I also like Old Companion. It's a lot like an OTC without the casing. A little less sweet than CH or SWR. Like AD, you have hydrate it first to get the good flavor. And at $14.95 for an 8 ounce tin, it's reasonably priced.

Posted 1 year ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   mlaug, tbradsim1, mrgunnar177, dochudson, daveinlax, numbersix, danindayton, beezer, brokenkrayon, mikestanley, sparks, pitchfork