PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jonesing

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 11, 2010
I've seen several members mention use of snus and moist dipping snuff. I'm a lifetime Copenhagen dipper myself, and enjoy some of the Swedish snus.
I also have recently begun to dabble in nasal snuff. I really dig it!
I know member Matt is a snuffer at times. Anyone else?

python

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 8, 2009
Maryland
pipesmagazine.com
I occasionally use nasal snuff. Sometimes I am really in the mood and will use it for a few days or weeks and other times not so much and won't do it for a few months.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
I never really enjoyed snuff on the rare occasion that I tried it. However, I do occasionally indulge in "Oliver Twists" when I know I won't be able to smoke. Sometimes when I'm out on my Fat Boy, on some (not on the map) country road, I will stop at a mom & pop country store and obtain a plug. That can almost equal that elusive perfect pipe.

dudleydipstick

Can't Leave
Dec 13, 2009
Sometimes I am really in the mood and will use it for a few days or weeks and other times not so much and won't do it for a few months.
That's pretty much me in a nutshell. I'll go on a big spree and dirty up a bunch of handkerchiefs, and then forget all about it for a month or so. I've got tins of snuff that I've had since '06.
I think one big reason for the lapses may be due to my mentholated snuffs losing some kick, since anticipating the punch in the nose and throat I get from them make me want to snuff in the first place.
Having said all that, I think I'll have to take a snuff tonight!
Matt

isteen

Might Stick Around
Jan 31, 2010
Denmark
I use General portions once in a while, when I can't smoke (planes, airports etc.).

Next time I visit The Northener, I have to try out Thunder Frosted (another good thing coming out of Denmark).

I have never learned to use loose snus, so for the moment I prefer portions.

I have a small box of nasal snuff, but that's mostly for fun.

The nic buzz I get from the Genaral is much better, nasal snuff only taste good, but doesn't give me any nic buzz whatsoever.
Worst thing I have tried is Camel Frosted. That was more sticky sweet than candy.
I can recommend The Northener, that ships worldwide

jonesing

Feb 11, 2010
Yeah Steen. I was jsut reading some snus reviews last night and decided I need to "feel the Thunder". I want to try the Extra Strong Portion and the Frosted.
Also haven't gotten to any of the Skrufs yet but plan too.
My standard snus is General White Portion.
Still stumbling around with snuff. But i find the more I do it the more i like it. Not an every day thing. But it is fun to use in certain situations. I sometimes will sniff a line during a break of a business meeting or something and then return chuckling to myself an enjoying the drip. Reminds me of going to class in college stoned. You feel like you're getting away with something.

isteen

Might Stick Around
Jan 31, 2010
Denmark
At some point I really have to learn to bake a pris, instead of getting portioned snus.

Here's a funny thing (as opposed to the other big discussion that is going on here, about taxes and government interfirence).

In Denmark portion snus is illegal to sell, but loose snus is not.
I don't know what idiot came up with that, so when I want to get some portions, I have to order it from Sweden (that's legal).

raf66

Might Stick Around
Mar 2, 2010
Started years ago with Copenhagen and now use Kodiak regularly. Would really like to quit, however, and just concentrate on my pipes.

dunendain

Jul 22, 2009
I would like to try some snuff. When I can't smoke, snuff would be nice. I tried Snus, because it was said that you don't have to spit. Don't believe that. I swallowed some and became quite ill.

jonesing

Feb 11, 2010
You got it right there Mick.
I don't see any difference in "swallowability" between typical US Smokeless like Cope or Skoal and Swedish snus even the portions.
I swallow Copenhagen most of the time after the first big old spit. And I do the same with Swedish Snus. But they don't differ to my senses. I've given myself that mouth water hiccup thing with both. Yummmm!
RJ

isteen

Might Stick Around
Jan 31, 2010
Denmark
I would like to try some snuff. When I can't smoke, snuff would be nice. I tried Snus, because it was said that you don't have to spit. Don't believe that. I swallowed some and became quite ill.
Mick, try some swedish portion snus. It doesn't require any spitting. I've used it on planes and even in waterparks, and I never have to spit anywhere

dunendain

Jul 22, 2009
The brand I tried was Camel mild. Said to be made in Sweden. Camel is the only brand available here. I will order some Swedish Portion from the internet. Probably much better quality.

python

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 8, 2009
Maryland
pipesmagazine.com
If you want a tobacco that won't make you spit, try Oliver Twist. I tried them and they are pretty good and I didn't really have to spit much at all.

python

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 8, 2009
Maryland
pipesmagazine.com
Just for future reference, this is how I classify the different non-smoking tobaccos.

I am not telling anyone that they have to use these terms, I am just explaining how I define them. So when you read any of my posts about them you will know what I am talking about, lol.
Snuff = Nasal Snuff

Dip = Canned American "Snuff" like Skoal, Copenhagen, Etc.

Chew = Whole Leaf Chewing Tobacco like Levi Garrett, Redman, Etc.

dudleydipstick

Can't Leave
Dec 13, 2009
Bob,
I classify it the same way. I don't know how dip came to be called snuff and have never met a dipper who calls it that, but since most people aren't familiar with nasal snuff outside of westerns and historic movies, I guess they get it confused.
What really baffles me is that I've noticed people online calling dip "chew" over the last couple years. I've never once heard a dipper in my area call it chew, but maybe people elsewhere do, or maybe they just don't know the difference since they use neither. It doesn't seem possible to me to confuse the two.

dunendain

Jul 22, 2009
I grew up in the southern U.S., and it was very common for rural African American women to dip nasal snuff. They would pour a can of honey Sweet Bee or Rooster under their bottom lip. When I was a little kid, my grandfather ran a general store, and sold tons of those cans.
http://www.snuffshop.com/page/snuff/PROD/hbsweet

sapo59

Can't Leave
Dec 29, 2009
Where did you grow up Mick? Here in Tennessee they still do. My first job was working in a convenience store here. I thought it strange the first time I sold some to a women but they would come in all the time and buy it, American snuff company in a small can.

jonesing

Feb 11, 2010
Matt said
I've never once heard a dipper in my area call it chew, but maybe people elsewhere
I grew up in South Dakota and we all called Copenhagen, Skoal, Hawken, Kodiak etc. "chew" as in "where did I put my can of chew". "Hey gimme a chew will ya". Etc etc.
But then again we did a lot of things a bit off up there.
My grandpa always called Copenhagen snus....but I always thought he was saying snoose.
I agree with Bob's and Matt's terms.
Is snus distinct or does it fit under dip? Seems like dip to me. Pretty much the same thing.
I wonder too if dip/snus evolved from snuff or vice versa? Maybe totally unrelated and unique to themselves but as Mick points out some people dip Snuff and I've heard of people snuffing Copenhagen or Skoal. In fact Copenhagen is labeled as "snuff" or at least it used to be. I dip the long cut now so I don't have a regular Cope can to examine.
I expect snuff came first and then dip evolved. After all many (me included) enjoy snuff "gummies" so it makes sense that a product evolved to be used orally.
Huh huh I said oral.

Status
Not open for further replies.