Any Regular LNF Smokers Lurking About?

(14 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by mikephillips
  • Latest reply from drrock
  1. mikephillips

mikephillips

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have..oh, somewhat shy a pound of Stokkebye's LNF that was misplaced for quite awhile (really don't know how long, at least 5 or 6 years, maybe more) and I'd kind of like someone who smokes it regularly that I could send some to try, and tell how it's different from something more recent. I was never a fan, which is why I didn't go hunting for it, and in fact I thought I'd given all I had away a few years ago when I gave up smoking (the last time) but found this during a recent move. It was in a large jar, but was terribly dry so I steamed it very lightly to bring it back (of course it fell apart, so it's no longer in actual flake form) and put it back into a sealed container.

What I'm trying to find out is how much aging affects VaPer blends, and to what level. In my experience, with Escudo, the differences are very slight between a couple of years, and up to about 10, and it isn't worth it to store and age it for any great length of time (more than a couple of years). I'm just looking for an accomplice, since I have no more LNF that isn't aged, and have no intention of buying more of it. And even if I had it, I probably wouldn't smoke it, I just didn't care much for it. And besides, who doesn't like to get an ounce or two of aged tobacco in the mail, right? I sent a bit to another guy, but he's not bothered letting me (or anyone else) know what he thought of it. So if I send it to you, please be kind enough to hold up your end of the bargain.

Posted 1 year ago #
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

First of all, it's very good of you to offer this up, so WTG for that! I do hope someone takes you up on your kind offer.

I am, however, a bit perplexed regarding how these LNF flakes came to be so "terribly dry." I mention this because, you are now "trying to find out how much aging affects VaPer blends, and to what level."

IMO, although the LNF may very well be smokable, it's quite likely too late for any viable aging assessment in the case of this LNF.

I don't mean to offend, but my take is that your LNF was likely not stored properly in the first place or the seal broken during storage because, in my many years of aging virginia blends (including many flakes), the drying out in the jar that you experienced has never occurred here.

When stored correctly in a properly sealed screw-top canning jar, it has always been my experience that virginia blends age wonderfully -- in fact, I believe virginias age better than any other kinds of leaf.

I do leave in my tinned tobacco to age in their sealed tins, but I have noticed that all my Va/Pers that I jar (such as bulk and 250g, 500g and one pound bags), that while the virginias improve and sweeten over time, the Perique does (albeit slowly) ameliorate in pepperiness and flavor as a result of aging.

Posted 1 year ago #
  3. mikephillips

mikephillips

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

It was pretty dry when I stored it in the jar initially, and it was a glass gallon jar, the lid most likely didn't seal perfectly and allowed some exchange of air/moisture over time. I don't think it was significantly dryer than when I stored it, but dryer anyway, at least best I can remember.

I bought 3 boxes of it from a local tobacconist at cost, years ago, he'd ordered it for someone that didn't bother picking it up and offered it to me so I took it. I think I paid $8 a box, but don't recall for sure. It was pretty dry when I bought it, but useable. Decided I didn't care for it, put it in big jars and put it away until a few years ago when I gave most of it away to a nice fellow in Georgia (I think...might've been Kentucky).

Anyway, my point...I think it did age, though maybe because of the dryness it didn't age dramatically. It does seem darker than fresher stuff in photos, but maybe that's just because it's photos (lighting, etc).

My experience with Escudo...I had a 2 year old tin to compare with a tin that was....maybe 10 years or older, and the difference was not dramatic at all. I'm just curious whether it's my taste (or lack of), or whether 2 years is where you see the biggest changes and after that it's very slight.

Also: Don't worry about offending me, I'm pretty thick skinned, and most likely would just laugh even if you were deliberately trying to offend me, which you obviously aren't, your questions are perfectly reasonable.

Posted 1 year ago #
  4. dottle

dottle

Login to Send PM

Its one of my fav tobacco,,I smoke a bowl of it about every day. Ill be glad to try it out and will for sure tell you what I think.

Posted 1 year ago #
  5. mikephillips

mikephillips

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Sure thing, Dottle, send me your address in a PM and I'll send it out, probably hit the mail tomorrow afternoon.

Posted 1 year ago #
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

I'm just curious whether it's my taste (or lack of), or whether 2 years is where you see the biggest changes and after that it's very slight.

As a general rule, in my experience, virginia blends show a noticeable improvement (which I'd describe as progressively fuller and sweeter) after 2 years. I also agree with Greg Pease who opined that virginia blends show some continuing improvement in stages -- 6-12 months, 2 years, 5 years, 10 years, then every 10 years thereafter. I have only personally experienced this to be true to the 10 year point, however.

I also think that how and how much a virginia blend improves is reflected by the specific blend itself as I have noticed some differences. Plus, other types of leaf (for example, Perique as I mentioned in my other post in this thread), as well as a blend's topping/casing can and do play a role as well.

Posted 1 year ago #
  7. mikephillips

mikephillips

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Do you think maybe it's the VA's with higher sugar content (bright Va's) that respond more to extended aging, or the opposite?

Something I should add:

When you made your post earlier, I decided maybe I should try another bowl of this LNF myself, even though I smoked a bowl just after I discovered it (before re-moistening it) and didn't care for it, to see what I think of it now....you know, it's a much better smoke than I remember it being, though again, tastes mature and change over time and it might be that I'm just a little more in tune with a VaPer that's lighter on the Per side.

Posted 1 year ago #
  8. matchstickman

Pipe Novelist

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I bought 4 ounces of LNF here not too long ago and have since smoked a couple of bowls of it. It's definitely light, almost got kind of a "tang" to it, like a citrusy note, and to me, the Perique is VERY light, almost to the point that if you didnt tell me it was in there, I probably wouldnt notice it. It's good stuff, but Im pretty sure that the stuff I ordered was a pretty fresh batch, so I am curious to see how it ages. Fresh, its good stuff, really simple and no nonsense, really what I would classify as an "all day" smoke if I was to sit and puff all day every day. Good value for money too.

Posted 1 year ago #
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

I'll throw in the caviat that I have no idea about LNF as I have never smoked any.

As for this virginia having more sugar, or that virginia being more tart, etc., while I know this to make a lot of sense and is likely true, I only feel comfortable with my rather broad stated opinion that there is a difference in how virginias taste as well as age.

Since the Perique (again in my experience) does "tone down" with aging, and since (as Pipe Novelist, who has smoked a good amount of fresh LNF) this LNF's Perique component is rather light to begin with, it makes total sense that the Perique would virtually disappear after some years in the jar.

Posted 1 year ago #
  10. matchstickman

Pipe Novelist

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

this LNF's Perique component is rather light to begin with

I have heard it said that Perique is best experienced when exhaled through the nose, and retrohaling this blend is a true testament to how good it is. The nostrils are filled with a wonderful kind of lemon zest fresh cut grass smell, and the Perique is there enough just to add that little "oomph", that little black pepper tingle that keeps it from being one dimensional. Once taxes roll around, I was thinking of ordering a pound and separating it into various 2 ounce batches so I could try it at different steps in the aging process, 6 months, 1 year, 2 years, 5 years, etc.

Posted 1 year ago #
  11. dottle

dottle

Login to Send PM

PM sent Mike

Posted 1 year ago #
  12. sparroa

simenon

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I am a perique hound and I cannot taste any from a sample of LNF that I received.

LBF does not have much perique to my tastes, either, but at least it is noticeable at first.

(As the bowl progresses any trace of it is wiped out by waves of VA in my opinion)

I had an amazing LBF smoke the other night because I blended a rubbed out coin with the shake from an LBF bulk bag which was LOADED with bits of perique that had fallen out of the broken flakes that I jarred...

It was really spicy and quite flavourful for what is usually a mild and unassuming tobacco.

Posted 1 year ago #
  13. crpntr1

Chris

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Luxury twist flake has more perique than the other two mentioned here
    I really like all 3 tho

The most important things in life are good friends and a good bullpen...not necessarily in that order

You may all go to hell, I'll go to Texas-Davy Crockett
    Posted 1 year ago #
  14. drrock

drrock

Login to Send PM

Nice offer
    I'm a big fan of LNF.
    I have some from 1997 that I've stashed in Mason-type jars.
    The jar I have opened to sample from got a little dry.
    I spread it out in a glass casserole pan, used a little spray bottle to gently dampen (not wet!) it with some dark rum.
    Covered it & let it sit for about 24 hr. - now it's absolutely delicious without losing the VA sweetness or Perique spice.

Posted 1 year ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   xrundog, krizzose, misterlowercase, derfargin, rsuninv, weezell, simnettpratt, patiobum, cosmicfolklore, robski, papipeguy, condorlover1, tbradsim1, sidious, brudnod, elpfeife, gigger48, dmcmtk, alphaflux, dottiewarden, mephistopheles, terrygoldman123