Status
Not open for further replies.

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
I know there is a pipe community on Reddit. I never go there though as I barely have time to even participate on my own site.
Jeff Gracik told me that his pipe video got a ton of views on Reddit.
When I post new content here on PM, in addition to posting an intro and link to it here in the forums, I also post it on Facebook - the same intro and link to the content.
I'm wondering if I should do that at Reddit, and if it is welcomed or frowned upon over there.
With me doing it as the owner of the site, it could be considered too self-promotional, which is usually frowned upon on old school forums, such as this one.
Are any of you guys regular participants at Reddit? If so, do you have nay input, and would you be interested in posting intro and links to new content as it is published here?

kanaia

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 3, 2013
I go to Reddit frequently. IMHO it is one of the best websites available for any information one may be seeking. As far as promoting this forum I do not know their policies but it would not be difficult to find out. Just ask one of the mods.

pylorns

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Austin, Texas
www.thepipetool.com
I'm on reddit daily, and try to hang out with them (/r/pipetobaccco) on friday night google hangouts. Best suggestion is to ping the admins and they should be able to help you out with a couple things and I suspect you'd get tagged on your /u/name with "pipesmagazine". There are people that discuss pipesmagazine podcasts and other articles here and there pretty regularly already.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
That's a good question Kevin. I have been on Reddit for almost 2 yrs and it seems to run the gamut in terms of acceptance of promotional posts (from what I know, they are allowed, but often frowned upon by the community). If it comes across as merely an advertisement, you will get downvoted to oblivion. But, if it comes across as interesting news - then it will be upvoted.

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
I've been on reddit for 11 months, and I'm still unclear about a lot of it.
Definitely run it by the admins of whatever subreddit you want to invade.
It's a strange place.
Karma is power.
The pipe tobacco subreddit doesn't seem to be TOO active. Not sure it'd be worth your time to post there. Looks like a very small community.
http://www.reddit.com/r/PipeTobacco/top/

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
Ok. You'd know more than me.
But it's 12,000 people that have subscribed. Anyway to know how many of those are active?

crimsonrat

Might Stick Around
Jun 3, 2014
A lot of us are active, Spartan. And we have a whole lot more that are just lurkers. One thing you can do is go to this link http://www.reddit.com/r/PipeTobacco/ rather than the one you posted, as yours shows only the top comments of all time, giving a false sense of non-participation if you look at the timestamps.
Kevin, we are always looking for good content at /r/pipetobacco, and yours would be welcomed. I have read and referenced much of the archived information here, and I try to listen to your guys' podcasts whenever possible. I appreciate you running a site like this that contains so much knowledge. Getting back to the posting of your links over there, Dutch pipe smoker frequently posts and his are well-received within the community. We sometimes link to other sites on threads to promote discussion, as well. So yes, please feel free to post over there.
As numbersix mentions, however, if it comes across as just advertisement, it will probably get downvoted off the front page. Saying that, I really believe that it can add discussion and content to our little sub, known as the nicest place on reddit.
Some of us were on the Country Squire Radio podcast a while back, and I think it actually gives a good idea as to what we are trying to accomplish. Many of us don't have local pipe clubs, so that is as close to one as we can get.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
I've only checked in once or twice, which probably isn't enough experience to feel comfortable. For the most part, I was overwhelmed and baffled. And I've been on bulletin boards since the early CompuServe days, so I didn't expect that.
Any sort of a "Reddit 101" out there that would be helpful for a newbie?
Also: I find it challenging just keeping up with Facebook, Twitter and here. How in the world do you add yet another social/discussion site and have any other time in your day? Is there a way to easily/quickly participate without getting lost?
Bob

crimsonrat

Might Stick Around
Jun 3, 2014
Bob, I don't do facebook or twitter, either.
Reddit is very much a user generated and vote based forum. If you go there you will see up arrows and down arrows, or in the case of/r/pipetobacco we have flames and matches on the left side of the screen. These are upvotes, which stay on the front page longer, and downvotes, which cause them to be shuffled off the front page quickly. Generally if something contributes to a conversation, upvote it. If it doesn't contribute to conversation or the sub, downvote it.
If you make a username on the right side of the page, you can then use the submit a new link or submit a new post button. But feel free to lurk and get your bearings.
Here's an overall how-to: http://www.reddit.com/wiki/faq

Dutch Pipe Smoker

(arno665)
Apr 3, 2013
The Netherlands
dutchpipesmoker.com
When I make a new post on my blog I also post it on the PipeTobacco section on Reddit. At first I just posted my Wordpress link, but after a short discussion with the Reddit moderators this was no longer allowed. But they did graciously allow me to post the full text with a link to my original blogpost. I guess because I have no commercial intentions, I am just an enthusiastic nutcase who loves pipes and tobacco :mrgreen:

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
I've been on reddit for 11 months, and I'm still unclear about a lot of it.
lol - that's just how it was for me.
But I like it now - there's tons of interesting forums. I don't visit the pipe forum often, this one keeps me busy enough. :puffy:

faust

Might Stick Around
May 25, 2014
I used Reddit everyday, I haven't been on /r/pipetobaccco so I will have to check that out, I have been on /r/churchwardens but it seems like a very small community and I don't think it's got many active members

oklansas

Can't Leave
Apr 16, 2013
DC
Late to this thread, but /r/pipetobaccco got me excited about pipes again after some time off. Still, I believe this forum is FAR more active and it comes with access to some of the most knowledgeable Piperinos I've been privileged to run across.

Status
Not open for further replies.