Any pipe tobacco that's similar to cigars?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

exterminatewho

Might Stick Around
Apr 15, 2017
Recently I've gotten into cigar smoking. I've had some Oliva Serie G, O, and V. Some Man o war virtue and of course the Drew Estate ACID sticks (had a few more, but I won't waste the space here). Out of those I really liked the Oliva Serie O. TBH I liked all the cigars I've smoked so far, but this leads me to my main question.
Are there any pipe tobaccos that have a similar taste to cigars? I tend to like the espresso flavors that come out of the Oliva cigars, as well as the hints of pepper and earthiness that permeate throughout the smoke. There is some sweetness in the cigars (mostly cocoa), but I don't really care much for the sweetness.
I know they're two different things, but pipe tobacco is just cheaper to buy (if you don't include pipes, just the tobacco). If anyone knows of any pipe tobacco that fits the bill, it'd be greatly appreciated.

aquadoc

Lifer
Feb 15, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
Here you go : http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/search?BlendType=Cigar+Leaf+Based
These had coffee mentioned in the review. http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/search?BlendType=Cigar+Leaf+Based&ReviewedText=Coffee

Reactions: hyperstar

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Cacao is bitter; raw cocoa may be; the commercial version is cocoa plus vanilla plus sugars.

sallow

Lifer
Jun 30, 2013
Sometimes I get the hint of a cigar with Haddo's Delight, but it is very fleeting. Even if you never find that note, Haddo's is a great smoke. Key Largo, as mentioned above is a fine smoke, but it is not exactly like smoking a cigar, yet very worthwhile.
Take a walk on the pipe side. You can find plenty of nuance (in my opinion more) in blends like dunhill dark flake, university flake, peterson's perfect plug, etc.
In my experience, if you want that cigar flavor, you have to pay the premium and buy a cigar.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
This is the closest for me.
As far as cigar leaf goes, I am not sure it really tastes like cigar, but this mix worked OK for me:
60% dark + white burley

20% red virginia

20% cigar leaf
However, you will notice that it does not taste that much different than the Semois.

Reactions: JRW11b

oldmansmoking

Part of the Furniture Now
May 13, 2017
UK
I collect my end of coffee cream Henry waterman cigars, brake them up and smoke them in my pipe. Smoke and taste great. You get an inch left with every cigar.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
C&D among others offers a good cigar leaf blending tobacco, and this makes a good single leaf smoke as well as a blending leaf for other single leaf or blends. I guess my favorite blend with cigar leaf is Billy Budd. As the original post says, it doesn't smoke like cigars, but it's tasty indeed.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"I collect my end of coffee cream Henry waterman cigars, brake[sic] them up and smoke them in my pipe."
I think you are referring to Henri Winterman Cafe Creme mini cigars. Have a closer look at the tin :roll:
Regards,
Jay.

Oct 7, 2016
By coincidence, I am smoking McClelland Dominican Glory Maduro as we speak. It is Virginia based,and it tastes nothing like a cigar. (I am also a cigar smoker). It is outstanding.

exterminatewho

Might Stick Around
Apr 15, 2017
When I said cocoa, I should have said chocolate instead.
I'm thinking I'll try Semois and some of the others people have posted here. Thanks for your help guys, I appreciate it.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
60% dark + white burley

20% red virginia

20% cigar leaf
+1
I make a homebrew very similar to this one and it definitely has a cigar flavor, although I use even less cigar leaf. The dark burley itself has a cigar-like flavor to some people (including me).
At the moment I'm smoking Triple Play with a pinch of cigar leaf and they go really well together.

Status
Not open for further replies.