PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tamer291

Can't Leave
Jun 26, 2013
Has anybody found a pipe tobacco app? I have seen several cigar apps but no pipe tobacco. :(

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Yep, there's Pipe Tool and I love it. Unfortunately, they only make it for the iPhone.
IIRC, the cost was 3 or 4 bucks.
Fnord

pylorns

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Austin, Texas
www.thepipetool.com
App looks great. But.. my problem with apps that allow you to start cataloging your own inventory is that there is no place the database is backed up to. If you have to re-install your phone or have problems at any time the app data is lost. Or you get a new phone. The apps that have a unified web database that allow you to enter information on the app but store to a web site in the cloud - that's where you find something very worthwhile.

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
I just downloaded a database app to my android and built my own pipe tobacco specific database. Saves to the cloud via google drive and I can access from my phone, tablet or pc.

pylorns

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Austin, Texas
www.thepipetool.com
@brdavidson that's what I'm talking about. I think there is a more broader way to do this to service all pipe smokers. Ie - if you look at evernote as an app - its unified across phone, tablet, desktop, website. Power of the "cloud" so to speak. Wish I knew some bad-ass web developers with free time.

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
Ya I'm not a programmer at all, but work with databases all day long. It was stupid simple to setup and the cloud based system was why I chose to download that particular dbase app. It isn't pretty per se, but it works well.

tamer291

Can't Leave
Jun 26, 2013
Good new for Android users. I emailed the creator of Pipe Tool. He quickly emailed back and stated he hopes to convert the IPhone app to the Android platform by November/December. :D

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
Good luck with that Yaddy, I don't think developers will touch that platform with a ten foot pole now. I just switched to android after being a 10 year plus BB user. Its unfortunate but they will soon be extinct.

inteus

Might Stick Around
Sep 8, 2013
SF Bay Area, CA
I just tried tobaccocellar.com today for the first time, and it's great. But I would definitely welcome an Android app, as I have my android with me everywhere. :D

tarheel1

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 16, 2014
http://smokingjacketmagazine.com/2014/09/25/tobacco-cellar-database-for-android/

landon

Might Stick Around
Dec 18, 2013
Been trying to find the pipe tool app in the app store but can't find it .

echie

Can't Leave
Jul 7, 2014
Amsterdam
For what it's worth, I'm actually writing and Android app for pipe smokers :)
I'm a somewhat newbie pipe smoker (started ~2 years ago, but only taking it more seriously in the last 8 months or so), and at some point I got tired of keeping my notes spread between a spreadsheet, Trello, Google Keep, paper notebook etc. And I couldn't find an Android app to help me. So, what the hell, I decided to write one :)
I wasn't going to mention it on the forum yet, but it seems relevant to this thread. The app is still in early stages, but it works and but I'm managing to get some work done on it every day. It's not released in the Play store yet (and, for what it's worth, my current intention is to make it free), but I'm running a Beta group and I'd be happy to include anyone here that might be interested.

Status
Not open for further replies.