Any pipe smoking math students/mathematicians out there?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

swillie777

Lurker
May 14, 2015
United States
If so let me know! What's your position, subject of interest, etc?
As for me: I'm an undergrad at LSU currently. My interest now lies in algebraic topology and differential geometry. I'll be taking my third course in algebraic topology this coming fall along with a course on Chern-Simons theory.

conlejm

Lifer
Mar 22, 2014
Twenty five years ago my undergraduate degree was in mathematics, passed my actuarial exams, got an MBA, and now serve in leadership at a Fortune 50, overseeing healthcare economics.

ctron

Lurker
Mar 25, 2013
I just finished my sophomore year. I'm focusing in on statistics and modeling, and beginning to look for actuarial exams.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'm a mathematical dyslexic (I know, misnomer) but have always been interested in the relationship between mathematical talent and musical talent, which is, it seems, pronounced. I've also always been intrigued by the fact that the intellectual performance of mathematics is mirrored in the universe of physics and biology, etc. To such a degree that if mathematical proofs in astrophysics for example, are done correctly, they are true in the physical universe, in fact. I guess illustrating that galaxies and brain circuitry are made of the same stuff.

maxx

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 10, 2015
I was a math major in college in the 1980s, and tried the linguistics department as a possible minor before getting disappointed with the professors' philosophical naïveté, and tired of Chomsky's arrogant dominance of the field. My mathematics interest came about via epistemology and the foundations of mathematics (I read a lot of philosophy on my own before college). So logic and set theory are what brought me in, not any interest in applying math to science. I loathed calculus, and leapfrogged second year calculus to take topology and abstract algebra. I was also interested in category theory, through the work of the great Saunders Mac Lane. To me, 'structure' is one of the most beautiful words in the language. I'm a fan of Bourbaki. Now, I'm just a math dilettante, and algebra is what I have the strongest interest in, although because I'm such a dabbler and have many other intellectual interests, I haven't given it much attention recently. I have quite the collection of math books, which now probably reeks of tobacco smoke.

swillie777

Lurker
May 14, 2015
United States
We have something in common, maxx. Well, sort of. I first decided to major in math because of set theory, too, but it wasn't foundational studies that got me, it was the study of infinite cardinals. It just fascinated me. But as the time went on I found I thought more geometrically than anything else so topology and geometry ended up being my focus.
I'll be learning a lot of category theory next semester. It's apparently really useful in algebraic topology (all that homological algebra and stuff). I never thought of 'structure' as being a beautiful word. I suppose it is, but mathematically, it's one of the most beautiful concepts.

Status
Not open for further replies.