PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaywellington

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 24, 2012
Athens, Greece
I now this thread is pointless, but I posted it out of sheer curiosity and for the fun of it! :P

I'm a drummer and a pipe smoker! Simple as that!

Any other 'colleague' ?

Sep 27, 2012
Upland, CA.
Well I CAN play the drums, but not an actual drummer... way too much to haul around, thats why I was always the frontman I just carry a duffel bag with my Mic and some beer... does that count?

undecagon

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 7, 2011
Chicago, IL
Here I am. I focus towards Vibraphone in jazz, but get a fair share of drumming gigs. They never let me smoke....

undecagon

Oct 7, 2011
Chicago, IL
Here's the stuff
photo-6.jpg

jameral

Nov 29, 2011
San Mateo
I'm a drummer. I enjoy playing mostly hard rock and progressive rock. Some of my favorite drummers are Neil Peart, Mike Portnoy, Mike Mangini, and Danny Carey. Though I never would dare to compare myself to these masters, I do enjoy trying to emulate them. You can see a part of my drumset in my avatar.

koshersmoke

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 20, 2012
Im not a drummer but i have a small set in my home studio for when I do recording for my tracks. I can keep a beat so thats a start. Thats better than some dummers ive heard that have a $2000 set up and cant play in time. and i do mean dummers my 2 year old neice can play like that, anyone can beat on a set, but you have to be able to keep the beat and do all the fancy cadence rolls and symbol work to be a drummer.

jaywellington

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 24, 2012
Athens, Greece
I'm a drummer. I enjoy playing mostly hard rock and progressive rock. Some of my favorite drummers are Neil Peart, Mike Portnoy, Mike Mangini, and Danny Carey. Though I never would dare to compare myself to these masters, I do enjoy trying to emulate them. You can see a part of my drumset in my avatar.
Progressive rock is something to drum on! Frequent change of bars, rhythm, contra-tempo etc, it is sure a challenge!

As with Jazz, I like trying to play them,but listening to them makes me tired (except for the 'proto-jazz', if I can call it that way, i.e traditional pop and swing). Hard Rock is easy but can get quite groovy! I like it too! Although not related to the music I usually enjoy, my favorite drummer is Jo Jo Mayer. Trying to emulate him...

What drumset do you have? From the looks of it, is it Pearl? (I'm a lame guesser, just figure I should give it a try).

Mine is a cheaper one, because my funds were ever limited when I first bought a kit (and still battling the financial crisis), a Tama Stagestar. It is the one with the smaller-sized components (eg 18'' bass drum etc), but with shrewd sound engineers, this kit can produce a good sound, and has never betrayed me!

I like playing Alternative Rock (not still a fan of it, but it is interesting), Swing, Reggae and Rock.

jaywellington

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 24, 2012
Athens, Greece
hobie1dog
Stick to Rolland 'V' series or the likes, if you can afford it (or even more expensive for one) - I personally can't- because cheap electronic kits can have sound delays, which is not only enervating, but also affects how you play in time. I personally can't take the overt rebound of the rubber surface (already have my practice pad for that), but if you have neighborhood problem, I can understand. I live in an apartment building, so I have to be careful myself. What I did is remove the actual drum skins and replace them with wire ones, which emulate the natural rebound (up to an extend), and absorb the sound.

jaywellington

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 24, 2012
Athens, Greece
koshersmoke

True story!

There are show-offs who can jam like crazy and can't play in time, and simple but groovy drummers who just don't lose a fraction of a second. I naturally play in time, and I almost always play with a metronome, or along with the song I want to practice. As you can see above,my drum kit is a humble one, but I make the most out of it!

Now, drum rolls... That hurt... I've been playing for almost 6 years, improving gradually, but I still can't do a proper roll (only 'fake' ones)...

J. Mayo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 18, 2012
Texas
I've been drumming for about 12 years now and smoking a pipe for a total of maybe 2. In and out of a few little bands but nothing too serious. I moved recently and stowed my kit in a closet and made the jump for a Roland V drum kit. They're awesome little drums to play on during all hours of the night but I miss my acoustic kit most days. I play a little bit of everything but I'm a huge fan of Danny Carey, John Bonham, Jose Pasillas (Incubus), and Chris Adler to name a few. I'll have to dig through some files and see if I can find a picture of my acoustic set.

hobie1dog

Lifer
Jun 5, 2010
Cornelius, NC
Dave Weckl has been described as having 4 different brains which he co-ordinates while playing, check out his solo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CEysTJJTGmU&list=FL-wc2Tcz8tIxllxE2UNfCVA&index=112&feature=plpp_video
Of course if you play keyboard ,bass, or guitar, you should be amazed at the entire group of monsters in one band, talk about mastering their instruments and extreme harmonic knowledge. 8O

jaywellington

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 24, 2012
Athens, Greece
John

I guess you agree with the phrase 'nothing like the acoustic drums' huh?

Although electronics give you other intriguing and useful tools of experimentation and improvisation, that is the electronic, digital part (sounds, sound effects, loops to play on, percussion, sound substitution on the pads etc etc etc), the feel of a proper acoustic kit is beyond comparison!

Rolland V are great, I've done a recording using them!

Totally value for money!

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I started playing drums when I was 9 years old. By the time I was 13 I could play to anything from the Rolling stones, the who, cream, most of the classics. I was in the marching band, concert band and jazz band at school. I played in rock bands all through h.s. My favorite drummer growing up was Buddy Rich and then when I got into hs it was Billy Cobham, John Bonham, Alan White, Bill Bruford. Formed our first band in 4th grade and played Herb Albert and the Tijuana Bras covers. I should have gone on to the Berkley school of Music in Boston where I grew up, but my old man made me go to B.U to become a lawyer like him. I didn't do the law thing but always regretted giving up the drums. I played on a set of black Slingerlands with one tom, a floor tom, 14 inch high hat, 22 inch ride and a 18 inch crash all Zildjian with a Rodgers Speed King bass drum pedal.
I tried playing again in my late 40's when my youngest son took an interest, so I bought him a set of Pearls. I could still keep a beat no problem, but all my speed was gone and I just didn't have it in me to try and spend the next 6 months or so trying to get it back.

Status
Not open for further replies.