Tags:   

Any Pipe Smokers Also Take Snuff?

(42 posts)
  • Started 12 months ago by woopigpiper
  • Latest reply from timt
  1. woopigpiper

woopigpiper

Login to Send PM

I've been a pipe smoker off and on for about 13 years, and recently I was sent some snuff to try. I was actually very surprised that I fell in the love with the stuff. I also found that there seems to be a decent snuff following among pipe smokers. So I'm just curious if any of you fine gents take and enjoy snuff? If so, what do you like? Do you take it while enjoying a bowl? Any great combinations you've found? Currently, I've been enjoying Poschl's Red Bull.

WooPigPiper
    u/feernot
    Posted 12 months ago #
  2. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Contact lenses and snuff are a no-go for, respectively, my eyes and nasal passages. I'm interested in snuff as a historical thing, and some of the 18th and 19th Century snuff boxes appear in art museums and go for thousands -- in precious metals, ivory, rare woods, all hand carved, etc. etc.

Posted 12 months ago #
  3. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have picked up quite a selection of Gawith snuffs, but when I try to sniff the stuff, I sneeze shit stain colored snot all over the walls. I am not allowed to do it inside anymore. And, really, I just didn't "get it." I just didn't find any pleasure or relaxation in doing it. YMMV

Michael
    Posted 12 months ago #
  4. lordofthepiperings

lordofthepiperings

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I get nosebleeds fairly easily especially when the air gets really dry (I sleep with a humidifier on), so like cocaine snuff is a no go for me.

"The thinking man always smokes a Peterson." -Peterson of Dublin
    Posted 12 months ago #
  5. woopigpiper

woopigpiper

Login to Send PM

I expected to hate it and have a horrible experience. That’s why I was shocked to enjoy it so much. I’m a rabid retrohaler and won’t smoke a pipe or cigar without doing it. So really taking snuff reminds me of a retrohale. I think that’s why I love it.

Posted 12 months ago #
  6. mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

mothernature

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I was a snuff taker for a few years, but no longer partake. I've exclusively returned to the the pipe, but was into it something heavy. I went through them all pretty much, with exception to a few. I think a was doing too much and caused myself an infection. I walked away and moved onto snus for a while before, again, returning to the pipe. My favorites were WoS IHT 22, F&T HDT, Toque Quit, Toque Spanish Gem, Old Mill Dreamcatcher, Old Mill Pure Dominicana, SWS Havana Toast, 41 Photo White Elephant, Kalish, NB Madras, Viking Thor's Hammer, McCrystals Clove, Toque SP Extra, Toque Bacon & Cheese, Toque Lime Toast, Toque Apricot, Dholakia Ganja, Dholakia White & Black, Dholakia Kamal, Fubar Willie Pete, and Hedges to name a few. I think my tippy top three were probably Wos IHT 22, Toque Spanish Gem, and NB Madras; but Thor's Hammer was a close runner up for top three. I mean I got into snuff at one point. I made my own snuff spoons and would sit and watch TV just shoveling it in. It's no wonder I ended up with an infection. I don't miss it though. I miss Ettan snus quite a bit though. The original portions were my go to.

Posted 12 months ago #
  7. crashthegrey

crashthegrey

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I partake in snuff from time to time. I got really into it, and moved on. I am primarily a pipe smoker. I find that for brief stints, the snuff is fun. Oddly, it helps me sleep if I take a little just before bed. I never seem to stick with it, though.

Posted 12 months ago #
  8. seacaptain

seacaptain

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Not interested at all.

Posted 12 months ago #
  9. canadianpuffer

canadianpuffer

Login to Send PM

I enjoy a pinch from time to time. I like the traditional scents like Wilson’s SP Best or Tom Buck. Toque makes some good stuff too. If I’m after some classic I like F&T old Paris. It take a bit of time to get used to it. It is enjoyable once your nose gets used to it, just like smoking. German snuffs like Poschl raspberry or Bernard’s Fichtenaddel (spruce) are staples.

Posted 12 months ago #
  10. olkofri

Olkofri

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

On occasion. Tried to get into it at the beginning of AD 2015, but sinus problems discouraged me. I still have my purchases and take some every now and then, especially when I there are smells around I can't stand.

Not the sweet, new grass with flowers is this harvesting of mine;
    Not the upland clover bloom...
    Posted 12 months ago #
  11. User has not uploaded an avatar

frozenchurchwarden

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

It may sound odd to some, but the engineering and craftsmanship of the pipe itself is half the reason I have any interest in Tobacco at all.
    There’s also an element of skill to smoking a pipe, and like a cup of hot coffee it forces you to sit down and enjoy something.
    I’ve noticed over the course of several jobs that “coffee” to a lot of people means “take a break”, it’s the only time in the day that a busy person allows themselves to just sit, and often it can be intended as a communal activity.
    I’m sure Pipes would have filled the same role in society in centuries past. I don’t see any reason they can’t be that in the future either (just as soon as overregulation becomes less popular, give it 50 years).

Posted 12 months ago #
  12. paulie66scandinavian

Paul

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Loose Swedish made Snuss are pretty popular here where I live, though I hardly use this stuff, But ordered some two tins for a try when my Mom just returned home from her trip to Sweden.

Paul The Scandinavian'
    Posted 12 months ago #
  13. alan73

alan73

Login to Send PM

Yes I’m trying a bunch of them . So far I don’t like Many of the flavored ones , I don’t get the flavors like chocolate or whatever. Ozona orange I kind of like , schmartzel franzel is more unadulterated .

To me it’s a quick and easy way to get a nicotine blast when time or location don’t permit a pipe. like being in an airplane or at my office . Never tried together, the bacon and egg or lime toast flavoring would ruin my wonderful pipe tobacco flavor .

Posted 12 months ago #
  14. sakoguy

sakoguy

Login to Send PM

Tried snuff for a while it was ok I enjoyed some of the flavours but over all it was a bit of a hassle runny nose/ sneezing. Viking Blonde and Wilson's of Sharrow Aniseed Extra are probably my favorites. Swedish Snus is more my thing these days lots of nicotine and discreet enough to use while working, a word of warning though it's the first tobacco product I actually feel a physical addiction to I think because you get the nic hit almost instantly.

Posted 12 months ago #
  15. mikefu

mikefu

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I take snuff occasionally. My favorites are McChrystals “Original and Genuine,” Toque “Toast and Marmalade” “St. Clement” and “Absinthe” and Dholokia “Medicated”. I don’t use much, but find it great for at work when I need a little pick-me-up, and as an “unstuffer” when allergens or sickness get me blocked up.

Posted 12 months ago #
  16. alan73

alan73

Login to Send PM

Frozenchrchwarden: “Give it 50 years”, 90% of the forum members will be dead

Posted 12 months ago #
  17. artificialme

artificialme

Login to Send PM

I had taken some snuff from time to time. Got some mcChrystal Original from a friend whose back from UK last January. Also some Viking and Samuel Gawith. It's fun to try and the nicotine rush is moderate. I tried some snus and chewing too. Just out of curiosity. For your information, my snuff was held by Indonesian custom (Again). They not really helpful at all.

Adhie was here
    Posted 12 months ago #
  18. npod

npod

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

For me, like others above, it’s “been there, done that.” I did it years ago in college, but my first vise since early teens was chewing tobacco. Thankfully, I gave that up too.

Neal
    Posted 12 months ago #
  19. flakyjakey

flakyjakey

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Occasionally, when I can't smoke the pipe, e.g. if I want to watch the TV in the sitting room. Nasal snuff only - "Hedges" or the old "F&T" blends. Snuff has never been a habit, just an "any port in a storm" substitute for the pipe.

Posted 12 months ago #
  20. anthony416

anthony416

Login to Send PM

Yes occasionally if I don't have time for a pipe I will.

Favorites are Ozona President, Mac Craig Royal, Radford Premium, Gawith Apricot, Kloster Andechs Spezial Snuff.

Posted 12 months ago #
  21. didache

didache

Login to Send PM

Occasionally - and usually when I want a nicotine blast where smoking is impossible. Generally I stick to Fribourg and Treyer snuffs, especially Dr JR Justice - I think that is currently the only one I have here.

Mike

"Pipe-smokers spend so much time cleaning, filling and fooling with their pipes, they don't have time to get into mischief." - Bill Vaughan
    Posted 12 months ago #
  22. leafsmoker

leafsmoker

Login to Send PM

YES! Another piper here that enjoys nasal snuff, and Snus. I have 900 gms each right now of F&T Patchouli, Seville, Old Paris, Santo Domingo and High Dry Toast. So all together I have 4 and a half Kilo's. Can someone say TAD? I also partake in Snus. My favorite brands are Odens, Old Ving, Thunder, and General, and never forget the Syberia. It has like 30-40gms nic hit per pouch. Right now I have camel mellow only because I can not place an order from Sweden at the present time.

The walls have ears, the windows have eyes, and the wise man tells no lies.
    You can offer someone a cigar, but you can never offer someone your pipe.
    Posted 2 months ago #
  23. recluse

recluse

Login to Send PM

Tried it briefly. It was ok, but less satisfying than a pipe or cigar.

I may have overcome the runny nose side effect if I had stuck with it, but I lacked the interest to do so.

Posted 2 months ago #
  24. autumnfog

autumnfog

Login to Send PM

I'm swedish and I use snus all the time.

Preferrably the kinds that taste tobacco and not mint, apple, liquorice etcetera.

Posted 2 months ago #
  25. craiginthecorn

craiginthecorn

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I was talking today to a very knowledgeable collector who sometimes sprinkles a bit it plain snuff on the top of his tobacco after packing his pipe. He likes the flavor and says it helps get a good burn started.

Posted 2 months ago #
  26. User has not uploaded an avatar

foursidedtriangle

Login to Send PM

Smokeless tobacco of any kind is not my thing. I enjoy the smell of burning tobacco, cigarettes too. As a kid being in an environment with lots of smoke I thought it always smelled amazing.

Posted 2 months ago #
  27. haparnold

Hap

Login to Send PM

IBTL (?), but I've been a consumer of various smokeless products for quite some time now, though I'm primarily a pipe smoker.

De Gustibus Non Est Disputandum
    Posted 2 months ago #
  28. sbk54

sbk54

Login to Send PM

Does Copenhagen count? Yep, I dip Cope usually to start the day and then I smoke pipes the rest of the day. I used Copenhagen to quit cigarettes in 1999. I have never used any of the sniffing snuffs. I'm too old to date now but it's a lot easier to get a goodnight kiss after smoking a pipe than it is with a lip full of snuff.

Posted 2 months ago #
  29. prndl

prndl

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I quit snorting things years ago.

With my sinuses, I'm lucky to still have a pipe.

Home is the sailor, home from sea,
    And the hunter home from the hill.
    Posted 2 months ago #
  30. judcasper

judcasper

Login to Send PM

I wonder if anyone could help clear something up. It's been puzzling me for a while. Back in senior school buying snuff was quite a trend for a while. Every dinnertime a few of us would jog over to a little sweet shop/tobacconists type place to buy a little plastic box of, what I'd always assumed was snuff. I have absolutely no recollection of what this stuff tasted like, or what effect it had on me, other than the available 'flavours' being of the spice variety (I think there was a cinnamon) but from what I've watched online of people trying snuff I refuse to accept the stuff I was buying as a teenager was the same thing. I never smoked as a kid/teenager so that kind of nicotine hit I'm sure I'd remember.

Has there ever been some kind of 'pretend' snuff? Like a nicotine-free version?

Posted 2 months ago #
  31. olkofri

Olkofri

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Taste? You don't put snuff in your mouth.

Posted 2 months ago #
  32. judcasper

judcasper

Login to Send PM

Taste? You don't put snuff in your mouth.

No, but it's all part of the olfactory, isn't it? If you snorted ground coffee you'd taste it.

Posted 2 months ago #
  33. saltedplug

saltedplug

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I was never brave enough to snort tobacco dust into my nasal passages. Just didn't seem like a happy ending would be in store.

Posted 2 months ago #
  34. mechanic

mechanic

Login to Send PM

Ive seen diffrent snuff gear they have a little vacuum cleaner snuff straw and such never tried tobacco snuff

"I'm a kind person, I'm kind to everyone, but if you are unkind to me, then kindness is not what you will remember me for." - Al Capone
    Posted 2 months ago #
  35. ashdigger

ashdigger

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have around 10 tins of snuff. A Forum member here makes his own. He gave me some of his blending results and I ordered some. It's okay. It's an acquired thing.

Ubi Ignis Est?
    Posted 2 months ago #
  36. davet

davet

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I've never tried it let alone saw it in these parts

Posted 2 months ago #
  37. leafsmoker

leafsmoker

Login to Send PM

Hey ash, I received snuff from a home blender as well. Did he have root beer snuff? If so, we have the same blender.

Posted 2 months ago #
  38. olkofri

Olkofri

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I ordered mine from England (mrsnuff.com), back when they shipped tobacco overseas.

Posted 2 months ago #
  39. paulie66scandinavian

Paul

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I got supplied with some American chewing tobacco by one of the very esteemed forum members,this time around it was in plug form, nice tasty stuff.Kinda addictive too.I use it occasionally.

Posted 2 months ago #
  40. sbk54

sbk54

Login to Send PM

Copenhagen is too snuff if it's the fine cut. Says so right on the can. So are the old time snuffs from Dixie, Tube Rose Peach and that kind of snuff. Most dip is long cut, more like chewing tobacco that you don't chew though.

Posted 2 months ago #
  41. crashthegrey

crashthegrey

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have been doing more snuff again, as it is nice when I am sitting at a desk at work and cannot enjoy a pipe. What is odd is that I found that, although I am a pipe tobacco purist most of the time, I love the silly snuff blends. Most of my tobacco is non-aromatic, and the purer tobacco flavors. But boy do I enjoy relishing the scent of some of these snuff blends. President in particular the past few days. I didn't know we had a home blender on here. I have had some from OSP who had to close up shop, would sure be nice to try more home blends.

Posted 2 months ago #
  42. timt

timt

Login to Send PM

During the extreme cold snap we had up here, I dabbled with a little snus, not snuff. It was pretty satisfying nicotine wise, so much so that when I did get a chance for a pipe, it threw my enjoyment of the pipe way off. It just didn't taste as good. I think I'll pass on doing any more smokeless tobacco. I'd probably go full bore on snuff if I tried it and end up in the gutter.

Tim
    Posted 2 months ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   seaelf32, newbroom, autumnfog