PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

hoppes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 15, 2017
This is a nice Parker Root that doesn't appear to have been smoked much. It was advertised as being an "Early Vintage" pipe. It does not have any date code. It does have the typical Circle 4 similar to Dunhill's marking. From what I can learn on the net it probably is from the early sixties. Have just finished cleaning and restoring so ready to smoke. Any help on dating and/or any comments from Parker experts would be appreciated. Thanks, Hoppes

img_0324.jpg

img_0329.jpg

img_0330.jpg

img_0327.jpg

img_0328.jpg

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
There's not a lot on Parkers on the web. Pipedia says this:

Dating
Prior to Word War II, the possessive PARKER'S stamp was used. However, at least some pipes were stamped with the non-possessive as early as 1936.
Like Dunhill, Parker pipes are date stamped, but differently than Dunhill. The Parker date code always followed the MADE IN LONDON over ENGLAND stamping. The first year's pipes (1923) had no date code; from 1924 on it ran consecutively from 1 to 19.
There is no indication of a date code for the war years. Parker was not a government approved pipe manufacturer, while Dunhill and Hardcastle were. During the war years Parker manufactured the "Wunup" pipe made of bakelite and clay. A Parker pipe with a 19 date code has been reported, indicating there was perhaps some production of briar pipes as well, but no dating record.
From 1945 through 1949 the Parker date code runs from 20 to 24 and from 1950 through 1957 it runs from an underlined and raised 0 to an underlined and raised 7.
A little help here from anyone with date code information beyond 1957 would be most appreciated.
So, would a war year pipe not have a date?
Interestingly, the Root Bruyere example shown at Pipephil also does not have a date code.
parker15x1.jpg

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
Not going to claim to be a Parker expert, but it seems to me the pipe would date to after 1950 because of the use of the group number, and most likely (just a guess) but no earlier than the 1960's, if not later. Note in the post above,
"From 1945 through 1949 the Parker date code runs from 20 to 24 and from 1950 through 1957 it runs from an underlined and raised 0 to an underlined and raised 7."

The condition also makes me think it's a later post-war pipe.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I suspect you are right Dave, the date code disappears after 1957. From the condition, it does seem unlikely that it is a first year pipe.

bluegrassbrian

Your Mom's Favorite Pipe Smoker
Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
From what I can gather from Smokingpipes dating of Parkers, it seems this pipe would fall in to the 1958-1975 category.

jorchamp

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 21, 2016
I love the way Parker smoke: a smoking man’s pipe. No pretensions. My Parker is stamped “Parker Super Bruyere”. Any significance to that?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I have one Parker, a cherrywood shape, bent poker/sitter. It has a good big bowl on a light weight smallish pipe. It was over-coated inside the shank, but otherwise has become a good pipe as I've pipe-cleanered out the excess. I like some of their blast apples and billiards, but I think they are outdone on those by Tsuge and BC, so those are the ones I own.

Status
Not open for further replies.