Any Other Recording Musicians/Songwriters Here?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
It occurred to me that with all of the traffic here, I might not be the only person with a home recording studio. If there are any other singer-songwriters/musicians here who record at home, I'd love to hear some of your work!
Here's a link to three songs of my own, if you're interested:
https://soundcloud.com/robert-bittner/sets/three-songs-by-robert-bittner
FWIW, I wrote, recorded, and played everything you're hearing -- keyboards, drums, guitar, bass, percussion, etc. (And, yeah, I'm the singer too. . . ) We have a guestroom where I recorded all of the live drums, and then everything else was done in a small basement studio where I'm running Pro Tools on a WIndows machine that is definitely on its last legs (to be replaced by an Apple computer). I don't have a lot of gear, but I've been fortunate enough to have some good quality stuff: a mic closet that includes a Neumann U87, Shure 57s/58s/KSM44s, Sennheiser 421s, Rode NTK, and Audio-Technica 4041; Korg Triton and Roland SH-201 synths; Kurzweil piano keyboard; Aphex and Langevin preamps; and a Pro Tools 002 interface. (I've also got a good collection of basses and guitars.) Plug-in wise. . . I love the UAD line, and I also rely occasionally on the Waves bundles. I sometimes supplement my live playing with MIDI instruments in Reason; the instrumental opening of "Some Days" is a mix of Korg Triton sounds and Reason's orchestral instruments.
I've had songs demo-ed for my next CD for more than a year now, but they're on the back-burner while I focus on actually earning a living! (Which I don't do from music, unfortunately.)
That's me. Anyone else?
Bob

bbarnes

Lurker
Apr 16, 2013
Mississippi
At most, I'd say I dabble in recording. I've got a decent Windows 7 64 bit PC and use Presonus Studio One as my main software. I use a Presonus Audiobox interface and mainly just like to play around with Guitar Rig. I'm no vocalist for sure, so the little recording I do is basically just jotting down riff ideas.
My wife is in the process of drawing up the layout for the house we plan on building. It will have a basement with a studio/jam room right next to my smoking room. Unfortunately, I'll have to wait another 3 or 4 years to start building. She just finished up her Bachelor's and is about to start on her Master's. Plus I have about 4 years of car payments left on my Mustang.
They've got SoundCloud blocked here at work but I'll definitely give a listen when I get home.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
bbarnes:
A lot of great songs began with riff ideas! Glad to hear I'm not alone here.
BTW. . . Care to say anything about your guitar(s)? I favor electrics over acoustics, and I'm more of a Strat guy than a Paul guy, but I've been blessed with a good collection with all of the majors represented in one way or another (bass/electric/acoustic). But, like pipes and tobaccos, I'm always on the hunt for another one! :)
Bob

bbarnes

Lurker
Apr 16, 2013
Mississippi
Haha yeah I'd totally agree with always being on the hunt for another one.
It really depends on what mood I'm in but 75% of the time I grab something that has two humbuckers and is made of mahogany. I've got an older Yamaha acoustic that my father gave me. Plays great and sounds beautiful to my ears. I've got a couple of Strat copies but they don't get much playing time. One is an older (late 80's or early 90's) Squier made in Korea. It was my first electric and the neck is really nice so I plan on keeping it around. I've got a Gibson SG that doesn't see much action nowadays either. My go-to at the moment is an LTD Eclipse with EMGs. I recently acquired a Dean '79 ML with a Floyd Rose. It's my first locking tremolo but I'm liking it pretty well. And lastly, I've got a cheap Hamer Explorer copy that I use for dropped tunings.
I like many different genres of music (not much on country though) but as you can probably tell, I'm a metal-head at heart.
I almost forgot about the purple tele-style Hannah Montana sitting in the music room. I keep it tuned to open G. Easier for my 6 year-old to make musical sounds with.

ghost

Lifer
May 17, 2012
I have a home studio, it used to be my home office but gradually I moved all my work stuff out of there. I'm using a Focusrite Scarlett interface, along with a PodHD, and for vocals and other live stuff I use either a SM57 or an AT4040 mic. I stopped micing my amps to save my ears and to be able to play and write later at night. I do it all myself, and program all my drums through EZDrummer or Slate Drums. I have a set of Rokit5 monitors, but my room isn't ideal for monitoring so I usually use ATH-m50 headphones.
Here is my instrumental project, these are mostly songs written at various times for a documentary project that never got off the ground. Musically, it's all over the map from orchestral to twang...
https://soundcloud.com/astraltouch
...and here is my extreme metal project, volume warning is in effect. Again, all me plus programmed drums.
https://soundcloud.com/crossedstreams
Bob- I'll check out your stuff on my good speakers when I get home tonight. Looking forward to it!

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
Can't say I go in for the "pointy" guitars. . . but that Hannah Montana model . . . ;)
Actually, I'm pretty traditional in my choices -- Fenders, Gibsons, Gretsches, PRS, Rickenbacker. And because I'm a huge Beatles fan, I have models of most of the instruments they played. But I have to say that the one that brings me the most joy is a Vintage brand "budget" guitar I picked up in London. It's called the "Lemon Drop" and It's based on a model owned by Peter Green, which was a Les Paul that had the magnets in one of the humbuckers reversed. I can't describe the sound, but it does something for my soul. And the guitar plays beautifully. But I really love all my "girls" and I've even named all of my electrics. (The other one with a sound that does something for my soul is a Burns Brian May Red Special. But there are so many switches on that thing, I find it a challenge to play live.)
Bob

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
ghost:
Thanks for those links! Hopefully I'm not insulting you to say that I kept waiting for James Hetfield to start singing!
You'll find that my stuff is, um, quite different from yours!
Bob

ghost

Lifer
May 17, 2012
Listening to your stuff right now Bob, awesome! It has an 80's feel to it IMO. Great songwriting!
My buddy mastered my latest metal stuff for me and he's big on UAD plugs. I use Waves and Slate stuff myself. I compulsively buy vst's just like TAD. Aside from pipes, guitars are my passion.
I like all kinds of music, everything from surf music, rock, blues, classical, and I'm a major Deadhead. I grew up in a factory town on metal and punk rock though, so that's my "folk" music if you will...

Status
Not open for further replies.