Any other highly moderate pipe smokers out there?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

chalbach72

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 27, 2014
United States
halbachphoto.com
As a pipe smoker who smokes usually no more than 3 times a week (and that's ALOT for me), I seem to be quite the rare bird on this site, as most of you seem to smoke multiple times a day.
Now, I am a person who thinks of the pipe like a fine wine. I like to sample it at times of only the finest relaxation, and I typically only smoke with companions.
I'm actually having a hard time justifying my growing pipe collection. I'm at 4 right now, but over the summer I hope that will be 7. But I don't smoke that often, so I'm thinking about cutting back after I get my Ashton pipe!
I'm wondering if anybody else is here with me that only smokes a very small amount and isn't really interested in more than that.
Am I all alone? Or is there also the occasional smoker here? :D

echie

Can't Leave
Jul 7, 2014
Amsterdam
Hi chalbach,
I think there are a few similar threads around the forum, so don't worry, you're not alone :)
In any case, I'm definitely in the same category. I prefer to smoke in good company or while programming, but neither is necessarily very practical. I've also cut down drastically on how much I smoke at home, since I have a baby and I want to keep her away from second-hand smoke.
On the other hand, regarding your comparison to wine: that may be, but I find that, as you're developing your palate, it helps to smoke in somewhat quick succession, so that the previous memory is still alive and you can compare nuances. At least that works for me. I tend to smoke more often when I'm on holiday (I think I allow myself the time for it), and noticed that that's when I make my "leaps" in terms of understanding what I'm smoking.
In any event: don't worry too much, smoke as much (or as little) as it gives you pleasure :)

chalbach72

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 27, 2014
United States
halbachphoto.com
Oh I don't worry too much, I try to smoke around once a week to keep people from being able to call my hobby a waste ;) :puffy:
I think as I continue to grow in this hobby, I'll probably smoke more depending on the occasion! I am in college, so I have to make time to smoke! :D

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
I don't consider myself a heavy smoker, about 6-7 times a week. Sometimes more, sometimes less, depending on the weather or how I feel.
I do know one thing, and that is I'd smoke less if I didn't read this forum every day! Reading the various threads here either stirs up an urge to buy another pipe of some sort, buy some different tobacco, or just smoke something I have and haven't smoked in a while. But I just can't stop reading this!! and I don't really want to stop anyway... :lol:

indianafrank

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 15, 2014
I smoke 1-2 times a day during the warm months. I can't smoke indoors, so winter is non-smoking months for me. Unless I sit in my cold garage and smoke. But that's not much fun.

tarak

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
South Dakota
+1 Indiana. I'm an outdoor smoker only, and live in Minnesota, so that leaves me like two good weeks a year I can smoke :) When the weather is nice, and my kids aren't being insane, and I'm not neglecting my wife, I can smoke anywhere from 2 to 5 bowls a week. Unfortunately in the colder months I smoke rather infrequently, sometimes not at all for long stretches of time. Something I would love to get is some sort of heated outdoor smokehouse. We actually have a small room in our basement, with no connection to the HVAC, that we are only using for storage and I'm trying to convince my wife to let me use it as a smoking room if I put in a really powerful exhaust fan. So far, this conversation is not going well.
So to answer your question, yes, I'm moderate. So to answer your question, yes, I'm moderate smoker

Sjmiller CPG

(sjmiller)
May 8, 2015
Morgan County, Tennessee
I must be a chimney then because I don't think I have ever, unless I'm sick to the point of not being able to get out of the bed, smoked less than seven or eight bowls a day. Of course I do have a love affair with smoke. Not just my pipe. Love smoked meat, my favorite breakfast sausage is smoked, add liquid smoke when making chili. Love the smell of a campfire (or Latakia). Hmm, I wonder if I have any of that smoked ham left in the fridge?

elbert

Mar 10, 2015
"Highly Moderate" is an interesting concept, but yes, I think I qualify. Life and weather permitting, 2-3 bowls a week. More if I have nothing going on on the weekend. I remember a saturday last fall when I sat on my balcony smoking bowl after bowl, and drinking pot after pot of hot tea, and watching cloud after cloud sail by, until my eyes glazed over, and my tongue cowered in fear of what was to come. Good times, good times.

lostandfound

Sep 30, 2011
Nope. I smoke morning-night, seven days a week. I will say however, that absence makes the heart grow fonder, and the times I've urged myself to wait until (insert any given moment in time, which is neither past nor present), to smoke a pipe, have been the most satisfying.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
chal, moderation is good. I think you can get full pipe experiences with a few bowls a week. Not a problem. Several others have said they do the same. Actually you might have a clearer palate for the taste if you don't smoke every day. I seldom have more than a bowl or two a day, and sometimes none. With any kind of dental or medical work, I lay off the tobacco to not suppress circulation at all. If you can stay where you are with pipe smoking, that's great.

chalbach72

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 27, 2014
United States
halbachphoto.com
To those of you who smoke daily, don't take this as a knock at y'all! I admire you for enjoying copious amounts of tobacco, as I find that I couldn't do it without causing addiction (One of my main concerns; I think of pipe smoking as a hobby, not habit :D)
Anyway, thanks for the comments guys! Glad to see I'm not the only one!

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
3-5 bowls a day weather permitting. 9-12 bowls a week in winter when I'm at the shop. Beauty of it is I'm not ever craving to smoke, unlike cigs or dip which held a tight grip on me. I mess around with Snus (the Swedish stuff, it's just ok) I like nasal snuff once in a while and a cigar as well. I'm a lover of nicotine, no doubt, the trick is knowing whether you like it or need it. I think today's latest incarnation of pipe smokers are just like you and there's absolutely not a single thing wrong with it as there are much worse things you could be doing with your lesiure time. Some folks only smoke on Saturdays and might have just one bowl and enjoy it immensely. Whatever makes YOU happy and content, there's never any peer pressure here to encourage anyone to smoke more, or less.

clarkj734

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 2, 2014
Having young kids these days....my "goal" is 1 bowl / day. But...that doesn't always happen. I used to smoke 2-3 / day but its not feasible between work, keeping my wife happy and chasing the kids around the house.

freakiefrog

Dec 26, 2012
Mississippi
I smoke one bowl a day during the week and will have 3 or 4 a day on the weekend. Then there are times I will go a week or two with out the taste of smoke. The thing about pipe smoking for me is that unlike cigarettes I'm no addicted. I stopped for years after my kids were born and only just picked it back up here in the last two years.
Pipe smokers are broken down into two categories Pipe guys and tobacco guys, then there's the guys like me hybrid.
A pipe guy: likes the pipe the wood, artistry, finish. These find those one or two blends and that's all they smoke but they'll have tons of pipes.
Then there are the tobacco guys: these guys have manual pipes but tons of different blends they smoke. They could care less about having huge numbers of pipes they smoke for the enjoyment of the leaf
Then the Hybrid smoker: Like the different tobaccos but also finds that having many different pipes for different moods or occasions is a plus.
I think that you'll find it doesn't matter if you're smoking 1 blend in a MM cob or like Peck could survive the zombie apocalypse with your cellar, as long as your enjoying what you're doing that's all that matters.

tarak

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
South Dakota
@ clarkj734 +100000000
My wife and kids are the best thing I have, but they sure make smoking impossible. Like yesterday, went to lay my son down for a nap, so i set baccy out to dry first. Then of course he fought the nap tooth and nail (which is unusual, he usually goes right down). Then, instead of his usual 3 hour nap, he was up in less than an hiur, before I finished my pipe....my wife was texting me to come get him because she had the baby, then of course she didn't like that I came for him smelling like smoke. Ug!

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
To those of you who smoke daily, don't take this as a knock at y'all! I admire you for enjoying copious amounts of tobacco, as I find that I couldn't do it without causing addiction (One of my main concerns; I think of pipe smoking as a hobby, not habit :D)
I've been having about 2-3 bowls a day for five years now. There's been a few times where I've caught a nasty cold and have had to put the pipe down for a week or two to recover from it. I've never experienced any withdrawals. Never gotten the shakes or irritability at not having the nicotine. Honestly, I've never heard of a strictly pipe smoker ever having symptoms of addiction with the tobacco.

Status
Not open for further replies.