PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

averagegent

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 22, 2016
I'd love to take the plunge and get a couple tins of Ashton baccy, namely: Winding Road, Rainy Days, Gold Rush and Smooth Sailing. Before I do, any opinions on them? Good? Bad? Ugly?

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
The only one I have tried is Gold Rush, and I remember it being quite good. I would buy it again, but my local stopped carrying it.

mikestanley

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Akron area of Ohio
The Ashton aromatics that I have smoked were decent, not terribly memorable but not a bad choice if the price is satisfactory. I remember getting bored with them before the tin was finished but that is a common problem for me and aromatics.
Mike S.

cossackjack

Lifer
Oct 31, 2014
Evergreen, Colorado
I have only tried Ashton's Artisan's Blend (Syrian Latakia, Oriental/Turkish, Perique, Virginia), a delicious, medium-to-strong English. For me it may be the Syrian Latakia which I sadly favor over Cyprian as the blends with Syrian are vanishing.

shanelktown

Lifer
Feb 10, 2015
Rainy day isn't a bad aromatic a nice lemon note on that one. Old dog is an awesome English but not made by Ashton any longer but mcclelends I enjoyed it. Would love to try the original.

bentbob

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 13, 2015
I don't smoke many aro's but I did enjoy Rainy Days. As per Cossackjack, Artisan's Blend is sublime, beats Nightcap hands down in my opinion.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Ashton Gold Rush is a ribbon cut straight Virginia blend that, I suppose, is technically considered an aromatic; but I don't detect anything artificial about the flavorings or additives that may be in the blend. If I had to rely solely on my palate for guidance, I'd say this was an all-natural blend with a lemon finish. It has a natural straight Va taste with an earthy, slightly grassy or malty tin note that you can also detect while smoking.
It produces a nice volume of very natural tasting tobacco smoke. Despite the tin description's claim, I don't detect any honey taste -- though it is more sweet than savory. The lemon flavor of this blend is most noticeable in the finish. I would call it an indefinite citrus taste more than actual lemon.
Gold Rush has a nice deep Virginia character without sharp, sassy, or hot burning characteristics. I would smoke more of this were it not for the sheer number of blends I have yet to explore.

Status
Not open for further replies.