Tags:  No tags yet. 

Anyone Else Enjoy Spinning LP's?

(78 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by houndstooth
  • Latest reply from drmrgood
  1. houndstooth

houndstooth

Login to Send PM

I'm sitting here, post smoke, pre dinner, and listening to some jazz LP's on my modest stereo system. Are there any other vinyl lovers out there, or audiophiles in general? It seems like pipes and good music go hand in hand.

I don't smoke indoors… yet, but maybe someday, if I become convinced that a decent air purification system will work to prevent having my smoking room, or worse, the whole house smelling like smoke. I'm also a little worried about the effects of smoke on the stereo system too.

Anyway, after smoking outdoors this afternoon while watching the sunset, I came in and started off with Oscar Peterson's We get Requests, and now I'm listening to some Lionel Hampton. I listen to a wide variety of music, that is pretty eclectic. I'm mostly into what many call classic rock, but I love the blues, bluegrass, jazz and some classical from time to time too.

So let's see if there are any others out there...

Posted 5 years ago #
  2. canadianbacon

canadianbacon

Login to Send PM

Don't worry about smoke on electronics as long as there is conformal coating on the circuit board. You can do this yourself with an aerosol can if it doesn't already have it factory applied.

Otherwise, yes, I do have an old cabinet style turn table. I don't get radio signals in my basement, so I play vinyl when I reload ammunition in my basement. It also hold my humidor and tobacco

Posted 5 years ago #
  3. zekest

zekest

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Don't worry about smoking around electronic equipment. All the new digital solid state stuff is airtight, that is it would work just fine in a vacuum, like in outer space.

In the olden days, DJ's often smoked in the radio station, and even in recording studios.

Posted 5 years ago #
  4. onepyrotec

onepyrotec

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have my turntable joined into my theater system for surround sound, and in the other corner sits a Rock-Ola from the 70's.

Posted 5 years ago #
  5. damnyak

damnyak

Login to Send PM

I love Lp's, I grew up Djing Drum and Bass, and then that turned into sampling...which entailed collecting records.

This past year I finally put together a nice high end vintage system...Not that expensive as most pieces are used. However my crown jewel is the plinth I built by hand for my Denon turntable. The new plinth weights in at 47Lbs of beautiful hand finished Baltic Birch Plywood.

-damnyak AKA Double-Goofy.
    Posted 5 years ago #
  6. houndstooth

houndstooth

Login to Send PM

Damnyak, that is a work of art! Thanks for sharing that pic!

Posted 5 years ago #
  7. zack24

zack24

Mod

Login to Send PM

I still buy a lot of vinyl from Elusive Disc. They have new pressings from half speed masters of all the older music and a lot of the current artists on vinyl as well...Good people to deal with...great turntable selection from a few hundred $$ to 10k...

Posted 5 years ago #
  8. ejames

ejames

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I used to listen to vinyl. Had about 1200 albums and 2-300 45's. Loaded them up about 4 years and hauled them to Arizona and traded them for a motor and trans for a 72 Charger I was building. Still have 40 or so in the closet,but nothing to play them on. Makes me want to buy a turntable.

Posted 5 years ago #
  9. onepyrotec

onepyrotec

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

That was a good trade Ed! I'd guess you kept the 40 or so because you really like them. You can get an inexpensive USB turn table and convert your albums to CD's. I do/did that with many albums I want to listen to more than once or twice a year.

Posted 5 years ago #
  10. kcghost

kcghost

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Vinyl are to CD's what pipes are to cigars.

Posted 5 years ago #
  11. voorhees

voorhees

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I do. I need to upgrade my turntable however. It is a 1959 Admiral Console. I recently picked(given to me) up about 40 old records.
    Beatles (white album/revolver/sgt peppers)
    Led Zep (Houses of the Holy/In through the out door/
    Probably every James Taylor album
    The Who
    Chicago
    lots of 60's 70's

Jason
    Posted 5 years ago #
  12. ejames

ejames

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

That was a good trade Ed! I'd guess you kept the 40 or so because you really like them. You can get an inexpensive USB turn table and convert your albums to CD's. I do/did that with many albums I want to listen to more than once or twice a year.

Actually before I traded them off I did put a lot of them on CD. Bought a analog to digital convertor and a small pre-amp to hook the turntable to the computer. The convertor is setting on top of my computer collecting dust.
    The computer I had then was a White box (ABS) with a Sound Blaster Audigy and a Creative 5.1 speaker system. Sounded better to me than my stereo system. Still have that computer,but it's on it's last leg.
    The albums I kept are mainly rock and country from the 60's--early 70's.

Posted 5 years ago #
  13. northernneil

northernneil

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have a goal to start collecting vinyl in the future, but I'm not there yet. I am, for lack of a better term, a music whore. I love everything from Pop to Jazz to Metal to Symphony.

Right now I collect FLAC file and am thrilled with the quality of sound. Heads and tails better the MP3. I've been curious about the difference in sound quaility between FLAC audio files and Vinyl. I know the "old school" train of thought is that nothing beats vinyl, and I am want to believe that. But when I listen to a album that is in FLAC format, the sounds quality blows my mind. And seeing as most modern music is recorded digitally to start with, I am tempted to believe that FLAC files are better.

Has anyone done a comparison? And I am talking new music, not digitally remasted albums.

Posted 5 years ago #
  14. teufelhund

teufelhund

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have a modest collection also about 80 LPs or so and a dozen 45s. I really enjoy listening to it when I can, but my fiance and her daughter are constant blaring all of todays pop music... Oh well at least I have mornings to myself.

Smoke your pipe and be silent; there's only wind and smoke in the world. - Irish Proverb
    Posted 5 years ago #
  15. group4

group4

Login to Send PM

Started re-buying LPs a few years ago, and finally got a decent set-up: Pro-Ject Carbon fiber tt, a Marantz PM6004 integrated amp and some old Advent speakers I've had for a few years. Still like recently=produced cd's but listening to records is a way different (fun) experience.

Posted 5 years ago #
  16. humbleblacksmith

humbleblacksmith

Login to Send PM

Nice thread. Yes I do still spin a 33 now & then but my daughters who were born in '96 and '99 think it is pretty Neanderthal.

Somewhere in the attic I still have the very first vinyl I went out and bought on my own, a 45. I remember the day I rode up to the mall on my banana seat Schwinn with my lawn mowing money in the summer of 1977(a whopping two bucks) and got Ted Nugent's "Cat Scratch Fever". I don't remember the "B" side. I was ten then. Before that my folks got me a Grassroots LP when I was 7 or 8 but I never dug them much.

Posted 5 years ago #
  17. andrew

Andy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I've got alot of lp's, 3 recycling boxes full, which are about one and a half milk crates each. I have 2 technique 1200's and a mixer, I used to dj. I love the sound of lp's especially for classical.

Posted 5 years ago #
  18. hobie1dog

hobie1dog

Penzaholic

Login to Send PM

What happened to our LP thread we had going? Moderators? you guys can always find the old threads. The original had lots of pictures I posted of exotic turntables.

" I'm talking about the kind of sound you can feel. When it comes to great stereo you can't beat big speakers, I'm talking about big speakers with big woofers."
    Posted 5 years ago #
  19. agnosticpipe

Orley

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I used to be a hardcore audiophile from about 1977 to 1999. Bought way too much equipment. Sold it all (except the vinyl) to move and buy a house, so now it's a very modest system. A friend gave me his old Thorens 126 turntable that he packed up 20 years ago when he went all digital. I refurbished it somewhat and bought a new belt and cartridge, and it sounds wonderful. I've got probably about 300 records yet and still enjoy listening to them. Love all styles of music, but lean mostly to classical, jazz and alternative. Too bad my hearing isn't as good as it used to be, but I still enjoy listening to what I have, and I buy an occasional used record from time to time.

The pipe smoker formerly know as agnostic pipe
    "Fried food, hard liquor, and tobacco, that's the holy trinity!"- Stacy Keach
    Posted 5 years ago #
  20. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Nice turntables guys! I have an old Pioneer system and a retro antique turntable. I still buy vinyl when I get a chance to visit our local record shop, yeh there is still one that I know of in downtown Birmingham. I only have just under 600 albums, ranging from old Delta blues to Motown to jazz to rock to meal to classic old school country. (I've never been one to label myself by my music preferences)

I don't get as much time to spin the disks, but I think that tonight I may just have to turn some.

Thanks for sharing your tables, guys.

Michael
    Posted 5 years ago #
  21. hobie1dog

hobie1dog

Penzaholic

Login to Send PM

I found the original thread, but all my pictures through Photobucket are not showing up.

http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/anyone-else-collect-andor-listen-to-vinyl-records

Posted 5 years ago #
  22. hobie1dog

hobie1dog

Penzaholic

Login to Send PM

bummer, I'll guess I can repost up some of the pictures again;

This is the Micro Seiki model turntable I have:

Yamamoto Churchill

Teres 255

Gabriel

Clearaudio Master Reference

Oracle Delphi, my previous turntable

Posted 5 years ago #
  23. hobie1dog

hobie1dog

Penzaholic

Login to Send PM

More eye candy

Transrotor

Quasar Gold

Onedof

air bearing tonearm, blue air bearing floats on a thin layer of pressurized air eliminating all friction

Posted 5 years ago #
  24. hobie1dog

hobie1dog

Penzaholic

Login to Send PM

Transcriptors TT from the 70's

Bassner

Sony PS 8750

Nice TT rack

Posted 5 years ago #
  25. johnnyiii

johnnyiii

Login to Send PM

I finally gave mine up but played it for years. I figured since I paid for the music twice between between albums and cds it should not be wrong to down load them off you tube. Have all of my old songs on my phone, six milk crates full and take them with me along with my head phones where ever I go.

I humbly reserve the right to post an intuitive thought here ... When ONE comes to mind.
    Posted 5 years ago #
  26. drwatson

drwatson

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

My mother in Law got me one of those retro ones last Christmas, and ever since I have been picking lp's up here and there for bands I like. Foound a Badfinger album the other day. Hearing those crackes and pops takes me back to when I was a kid.

John
    Posted 5 years ago #
  27. hobie1dog

hobie1dog

Penzaholic

Login to Send PM

to keep floor vibrations from reaching your vinyl, you can get a magnetic floating suspension system for 5K dollars:

Posted 5 years ago #
  28. bigvan

bigvan

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Geez, Hobie! If these gorgeous photos were in a coffee table book, I'd buy it! Thanks!!

Posted 5 years ago #
  29. hobie1dog

hobie1dog

Penzaholic

Login to Send PM

Geez, Hobie! If these gorgeous photos were in a coffee table book, I'd buy it! Thanks!!

I've got lots more of em, and you're quite welcome.

Posted 5 years ago #
  30. onepyrotec

onepyrotec

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Wooo-hooo all this LP typing got me fired up to finish a project. I just moved my Kenwood table to the theater system. The wife's pup hates it

Hobie, you will appreciate this resto job. My friend got most of it in pieces, and had to find the rest, then put it back together. It's a GATES 16" transcription table.

Posted 5 years ago #
  31. hobie1dog

hobie1dog

Penzaholic

Login to Send PM

Outstanding

Posted 5 years ago #
  32. trucha

trucha

Login to Send PM

Wow awesome pics. I used to be into vinyl and still have most of my records although my turntable is out of commission. I think pipe smokers and vinyls afficianados are cut from the same cloth.

Posted 5 years ago #
  33. hobie1dog

hobie1dog

Penzaholic

Login to Send PM

Wow awesome pics. I used to be into vinyl and still have most of my records although my turntable is out of commission. I think pipe smokers and vinyls afficianados are cut from the same cloth.

Get that puppy back into working order, maybe it just needs a new belt, and you can get a new cartridge fairy cheap too as there are plenty out there to choose from.

Lots of people back in the vinyl days were pipe smokers.

Posted 5 years ago #
  34. houndstooth

houndstooth

Login to Send PM

Wow, this thread has taken off... so sorry to be absent for a spell. I worked some long hours this past week. I'll post a couple of pics of my turntable and stereo tomorrow.

I agree, trucha, I think you are right about pipe smokers and vinyl aficionados. It's a perfect match!

Posted 5 years ago #
  35. hobie1dog

hobie1dog

Penzaholic

Login to Send PM

houndstooth, glad to see you back, did you check out all the pics?

If you want source of high quality vinyl releases go to:

http://www.musicdirect.com/

http://store.acousticsounds.com/

They both have tons of 180 gram vinyl and direct to disc, Mobile Fidelity, etc, audiophile releases on vinyl and SACD, DVD-A, etc.

Posted 5 years ago #
  36. peckinpahhombre

peckinpahhombre

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I love talking audio. I can't say I'm a vinyl guy, though I have thought about getting into it. I have already spent about $30k on my living room system and I can't imagine starting to lay out more cash for a good turntable and vinyl. I have a dedicated mac for my system. All my music consists of FLAC or AIFF files stored on a stand alone 12 TB tower hard drive system. My Mac controls the music through Amarra ( http://www.sonicstudio.com/amarra/amarra_player ), a music program, and sends it through a DAC into my Moon Sim Audio system ( http://www.simaudio.com/# ) . I use Adagio speakers ( http://www.audioreview.com/cat/speakers/floorstanding-speakers/acoustic-zen/adagio/prd_448449_1594crx.aspx )

So tell me, why do you guys like vinyl so much?

Posted 5 years ago #
  37. hobie1dog

hobie1dog

Penzaholic

Login to Send PM

I think one of the most fascinating things in the world is having a sharp diamond needle dragging across the groove of a trough of a slab of vinyl and being able to transfer the micro cuts in the side walls in to an audio signal, especially at very realistic sound quality levels. The process is mind boggling in its sonic accuracy, especially on a Reference system. I will always listen to records because most of the 1400 or so LP's I have will never be released on CD, there is just no market for it.

Let's also post up pics of our speakers we use.

Posted 5 years ago #
  38. houndstooth

houndstooth

Login to Send PM

hobie1dog, I did see those pics! Pure, gorgeous works of art! I have a simple Basis turntable that's about 15 years old now, but it has served me well. I will try to post some pics tomorrow afternoon.

Peck, you have a far more sophisticated system than I do. Mine is really pretty old school. I like vinyl because I just like the process of playing the LP's, and I also think that many of the LP's I have appear to have a greater stereo soundstage than the CD versions I have of the same albums. I have done A/B comparisons in my system with the two different sources of the same album, an LP and a CD. The source for the vinyl was my above mentioned Basis turntable, and the CD source was an Adcom CD player. All other elements of the system were the same, and I cued up the two albums. In many instances the CD version sounded like it was a compressed small soundstage as if the source was a little boom box between my two loudspeakers, while the LP sounded like a fully expanded stereo soundstage with clearly delineated instruments and vocals that you could point to where the individual musicians were.

The difference can be startling. I realize that newer mastered CD's and other audio file platforms are much more comparable to the original LP's, and in some cases, I'm sure there are improvements, but I really enjoy my "primitive" vinyl playback experience.

Posted 5 years ago #
  39. andrew

Andy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The snap crackle pop indubitably, plus there's just a sound that fits so well into classic rock, classical jazz, etc.. CD's have too much of a "clean" sound for me for classic rock etc... I wouldn't go out and spend an extreme amount of money on a turntable, like 500$ at the most, and even then you can just find a second hand one for 40$ and frankly I think you're getting into a ridiculous way of thinking when your spending 5000$ on a record player. I really can't tell the difference in sound between my 500$ technique 1200 that was created especially for radio broadcasting and a decent 40$ oldschool sony you'd find at a garage sale, it more comes down to the needle and cartridge you're using imo.

Posted 5 years ago #
  40. houndstooth

houndstooth

Login to Send PM

andrew, I think there are differences that you could detect in certain rooms and with certain systems. detached motors, better tonearms, bigger mass platters and plinths all really do make a difference in addition to cartridges and needles. For one thing, the velvety black silent sections of recordings is noticeably improved by all the things mentioned above.

My own turntable cost me something like $1400.00 when I bought it new some 15 years ago, and it's on the low end of the spectrum when it comes to TT's. That's not to say that it isn't good, as I think it's great. I have never regretted spending the money on it though, and it has outlived a set of loudspeakers and two amplifiers in my stereo system.

And, of course, it's like many expenses in life... a Chevy Volt will get you there just as practically as a Tesla Type S, but they will offer different driving experiences, and I would argue different levels of enjoyment.

Having said that, while I would love to have a Tesla Type S, I own a Volt.

Posted 5 years ago #
  41. scrapyardape

scrapyardape

Login to Send PM

You kids and and your fancy-pants new fangled gizmos. Why, back in MY day, we had to buy sheet music... and play an instrument if we wanted to hear music. Now get offa my lawn! *shakes fist*

Posted 5 years ago #
  42. peckinpahhombre

peckinpahhombre

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have heard it said that vinyl eventually degrades with playing and that the sound quality therefore deteriorates. Thoughts?

Posted 5 years ago #
  43. allan

allan

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Joining very late to this discussion:

The miracle to me is not that a diamond needle can 'scratch' out the sound pre-recorded; it is that incredible audio can be digitized and recreated using NUMBERS!

Unbelievable.

I have an excellent collection of the New York Philharmonic with Leonard Bernstein conducting all of the Mahler symphonies, Rimsky - Korsakov, Beethoven, etc etc. These were obtained when vinyl was the only option.

I would play these over and over again, and of course, the sound deteriorated and the scratches, despite all of the cleaning methods available at the time, became worse.

Hoping not to sound too prejudicial, guys, we are not talking rock music here. We are talking subtleties of nuance of which, IMHO, are not and cannot be maintained in vinyl.

Cd's and their new counterparts can be played forever without any degradation whatsoever.

Allan
    Posted 5 years ago #
  44. peckinpahhombre

peckinpahhombre

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'm with you Allan

Posted 5 years ago #
  45. brian64

brian64

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I’m no audiophile, and like most people these days I’ve been listening to only digital music for a long time now, but there is a school of thought that only analog is a true recording. Digital is, as Allan said, a "recreation", or a facsimile...and though it sounds very good, there is sometimes a sense of artificiality to it, or of being too “clean”, as Andrew said.

I remember back near the beginning of the digital era, Neil Young making a statement to the effect of: one day people are going to realize that music recorded digitally was never really recorded at all.

“Bipartisan usually means some larger-than-usual deception is being carried out.” – George Carlin
    Posted 5 years ago #
  46. peckinpahhombre

peckinpahhombre

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

This is precisely why all audiophiles who use digital music should invest in a high quality DAC

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital-to-analog_converter

Posted 5 years ago #
  47. User has not uploaded an avatar

flmason

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Another cool thing is an old Victrola that plays 78 speed LP's. I do not have it anymore as I sold it prior to moving in 2009. It is cool to hear the sound from the early 1900's.

Posted 5 years ago #
  48. allan

allan

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Hobie

These aren't turntables, these are works of mechanical art. I love these pics. The machinery is just beautiful.

Clearly, there must be a real market out there for vinyophiles.

Posted 5 years ago #
  49. hobie1dog

hobie1dog

Penzaholic

Login to Send PM

I'm one of those who only care about lifelike, the musicians are in the room with you reproduction, and don't care what medium is used. I just know I will have to listen to LP's, as the music I listen to will never be released on digital servers.

The other part is the LP cover with all the information on it, I like to look at them in all their full size glory.

Posted 5 years ago #
  50. houndstooth

houndstooth

Login to Send PM

Alright, here's my humble stereo system for the quite small listening room I have as my cave:

Basis 1400 Turntable

Rogue Audio Ares Vacuum Tube Phono Stage and my older Adcom CD player (which gets almost zero use)

Magnum Dynalab MD-90 Tuner & McIntosh MA6500 Integrated Amp

Joseph Audio RM7XL

Posted 5 years ago #
  51. weezell

weezell

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

GOOD LORD HOBIE!!! That be the SHIT ...

"the weez"...
    Posted 5 years ago #
  52. houndstooth

houndstooth

Login to Send PM

Another cool thing is an old Victrola that plays 78 speed LP's. I do not have it anymore as I sold it prior to moving in 2009. It is cool to hear the sound from the early 1900's.

flmason, I've got one of those too! I enjoy spinning it from time to time, although I don't have very many 78's to spin on it yet. We live in an old Craftsman house, and it belongs in it, if you know what I mean. It was originally sold way back when from a Pasadena Victrola music store, and still has the decal in good condition from the store!

Posted 5 years ago #
  53. hobie1dog

hobie1dog

Penzaholic

Login to Send PM

Houndstooth.....I stand in AWE of your Mac integrated amp, looks like a very nice system, you just need a Stereo Integrity 24" subwoofer for the bottom end Oh, I missed what cartridge you are using?

Posted 5 years ago #
  54. houndstooth

houndstooth

Login to Send PM

It's a Benz Micro Glider on a Rega RB-300 Tonearm. I love the Micro Glider, but the tonearm is what I could afford at the time. Someday I would like to upgrade to a better tonearm, but at that point, who knows, maybe I'll just go for a whole new turntable.

The Mac is a great all around solid state integrated amp, but I'd love to have a tube Mac amp someday. In the mean time, I am not complaining, though, as this McIntosh is the first good amp I have owned.

Posted 5 years ago #
  55. hobie1dog

hobie1dog

Penzaholic

Login to Send PM

You do need a subwoofer to hear all the bass in those LP 's. this is the 8 foot long subwoofer I built using 4 of the Obsidian Audio 18" drivers my son designs and builds( they have over 3 1/2 inches of capable travel)

I used a walnut butcher block top for the basis of the overall design, with a one piece grill, and black mirrored plexiglas sides

I currently have a 3K watt amp on the 4 woofers but am getting ready to order a 6K watt amp as my current model runs out of steam for the "BIG" stuff

Posted 5 years ago #
  56. allan

allan

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Hobie

The rafters must rock!

Posted 5 years ago #
  57. peckinpahhombre

peckinpahhombre

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Houdstooth - that McIntosh amp is incredible. I've looked at their stuff before and drooled over many of their components, but it is mucha moola. Hard (for me anyway) to justify spending that kind of coin.

Posted 5 years ago #
  58. ghost

ghost

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

So do you guys do any treatments to your rooms, or have any tips? My "home studio" is really just a spare bedroom that was not designed for audio purposes. (Obviously) I don't have a fancy stereo playback system in the room (just my old stereo and turntable), as I spend my dough primarily on the recording side of things. I've built some DIY treatments to deaden the room somewhat, but I generally mix on headphones then check the mixes on my studio monitors, then car stereo, home stereo, etc...

I hope this isn't a thread hijack, here's a pic of me holding up some vinyl just in case...

Matt.
    Posted 5 years ago #
  59. houndstooth

houndstooth

Login to Send PM

Hobie, that subwoofer setup looks amazing... I can only imagine how great it must sound with your system! Beautiful job on the cabinetry! Maybe someday. I will have to give it some thought.

Peck, McIntosh makes some pretty nice kit, that's for sure. They're not the most trendy stuff, but rather good, solid, performance based equipment designed to outlast the fads du jour.

Posted 5 years ago #
  60. hobie1dog

hobie1dog

Penzaholic

Login to Send PM

Hobie

The rafters must rock!

Yep, it is quite pleasing, and the woofers only move about 3/4" of stroke since they share the signal load . There is no way I can envision making them move their 3 1/2" of total excursion.

It is a shame you guys can't get a demo of it. Anyone near me in NC is welcome to stop by and listen to it.

Posted 5 years ago #
  61. houndstooth

houndstooth

Login to Send PM

Hobie, if I get out to NC on location work I will look you up!

Ghost, sorry I can't be of more help. I know there are a lot of commercial products out there that are crazy expensive, but I don't know ideas people have done on the DIY level. Maybe hang some carpets, or even furniture pads/moving blankets?

As an aside, the most "dead" room acoustically I have ever been in is a room at a company in Munich called Arriflex. They make motion picture cameras, and the room I am talking about was used to test each and every individual camera they built with film running through it, to see the sound level emitted by the camera when shooting film.

I walked into the room, and it was an otherworldly experience. It felt about as close to being deaf as I can imagine that must feel like. Very odd and unnatural sensation!

Posted 5 years ago #
  62. voorhees

voorhees

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have a question for you guys, I have an 1959 Admiral Console unit, with a turntable and radio. My question is should I try and bring back the old unit or upgrading the turntable and stereo to modern electronics. Basically gutting the old and making it new in the old cabinet? It does work, but not great. I'd think having a new turntable, speakers and a CD player/MP3 installed would make me want to use it more.

Posted 5 years ago #
  63. houndstooth

houndstooth

Login to Send PM

voorhees, I don't know much about those older cabinet systems, but here's my 2 cents for all its value...

Unless the cabinet system is in very good condition, or otherwise has something that gives it intrinsic value (like it's a rare model or something), I would not spend much money to restore it as it was originally. Having said that, I am not sure I would gut it and retrofit it with a newer, more modern turntable and CD player or MP3 player, etc., either.

I'm not saying that might not be cool in a certain way, but acoustically, the speakers being integral to the cabinet are going to limit the stereo imaging you are able to get out of the system.

If you love the look of the cabinet, and really want to do something like that, go for it, but I would be tempted to leave it as is, kind of like a curio or antique, and start building a modest stereo system with good quality components that fit your budget. If you really get bitten by the bug, you will be upgrading stuff down the line, most likely.

I read a good book many years ago when I was on the quest to start building up a decent stereo system on a seriously limited budget. It may or may not still be relevant, but it seems as if it has been revised to keep up with changing technologies. The book is: "The Complete Guide to High End Audio" by Robert Harley. In fact I am tempted to get the revised (4th edition) myself.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Complete-Guide-High-End-Audio/dp/0978649311

A very good buddy of mine turned me onto it in the late '90's, and I then, in turn, gave a copy to my brother. All three of us agree that it was very helpful in getting us going in the right direction.

YMMV, so if this advice doesn't resonate with you, no worries. I'm just trying to offer one perspective.

Posted 5 years ago #
  64. voorhees

voorhees

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Thanks for the ideas houndstooth. I like the cabinet, I have relegated it to the spare bedroom due to lack of use. I really would like to use it again in my man den. I still think retrofitting the components would be doable, even if I just had new speakers hidden behind the fabric speaker locations. And adding a modern turntable and cd player.

Posted 5 years ago #
  65. hobie1dog

hobie1dog

Penzaholic

Login to Send PM

Voorhees: That has been done before....replacing the electronics with a receiver that will fit in place of the factory AM/FM section, then gutting the speakers and putting great sounding speakers that will fill up your original space nicely.

These are the last set of speakers I built, also 8 foot tall with 16 drivers in each cabinet.

Posted 5 years ago #
  66. hobie1dog

hobie1dog

Penzaholic

Login to Send PM

Houndstooth, this is an unreal MacIntosh collection

And this one too

Posted 5 years ago #
  67. deithial

deithial

Login to Send PM

Wow, lots of pictures of great gear. I too am a vinyl player, not exclussivly by any means but over the years the pile has grown and grown.

Still drooling over that Thorens that agnosticpipe posted, damn sexy machine.

Posted 5 years ago #
  68. anglesey

anglesey

Login to Send PM

That looks like a control bank off the death star. I want.

I spin the lp's too, but my kit's 42nd rate in comparison to that, and probably 42 years older too...

Posted 5 years ago #
  69. hobie1dog

hobie1dog

Penzaholic

Login to Send PM

More great tables

Posted 5 years ago #
  70. houndstooth

houndstooth

Login to Send PM

Hobie... Wow! I am speechless at those Mac collections! Keep the great pics coming!

Posted 5 years ago #

Reply »

You must log in to post.

banner

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   bluegrassbrian, yaboofive, bnichols23, jeff540, jchaplick, k9shag, aquadoc, pianopuffer, armonts