PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

nsfisher

Lifer
Nov 26, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
Got some of this last week or so ago. Am currently drying some to give it a smoke. Anyone have any ups or downs about this baccy? I got 2 tins of Escudo as well and like it just fine. 2 tins of Erinmore flake that I am iffy about so far. I even baked one of em for 8 hours

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
The first time I smoked it I wasn't too impressed -- I thought it was "just OK". But after a while it began to grow on me.

The description says it has Perique in it, but it is not really a stand-out Perique blend. Whatever it does to help the

blend, it's doing it in the background. I think the Kentucky leaf in it helps give the grassy Virginias a nutty, or woody edge.

I started out buying just one 100g tin. I've got about 10 in storage now; so, you can see I consider it a staple blend.

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
Howdy nsfisher,
I also find that the moisture content upon opening is quite high with Old Gowrie. It does not dry out rapidly either, for some reason.
The tin says this is a "Rubbed Out" Virginia. My definition and Rattray's must vary widely because the mottled chunks are very flake like in appearance and I actually hand rub the weed further before loading and lighting.
Once packed and lit I got a flavor presentation that was cool, clean and invigorating. No tangy smell or taste at all, just smooth and vibrant Virginia. The room note was spectacular too!
If you want a distinctly rich, yet mellow Virginia taste with no bite, Old Gowrie is a great choice for an all day smoke. If I may compare OG to other Rattray's Virginia offerings; it is not at all tangy or bitey like Marlin Flake can be (particularly when fresh), not quite as strong or flavorful as Hal O The Wynd, and not as one dimensional as Brown Clunee. A delightful leaf for those who prefer lighter Virginia flavor.
Pipestud

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I haven't tried any of the Rattray's blends because of the $20 plus 200 gram tins. But, on my last visit to Cigars International, I noticed they now have $12 50 gram tins in stock. I'll try a few of their blends, Old Gowrie and Black Mallory are on my list.

jgriff

Can't Leave
Feb 20, 2013
Like everything it seems in this hobby, my understanding is the old Scottish stuff was really distinct. I have heard that their cavendish was unlike anyone elses. However, I am only familiar with the newer stuff made in Germany and it's all been great so far to me. The Old Gowrie in particular is deceiving. At first, it seems extremely plain - even boring. After time, it grows on you for that simplicity - a really, pleasant bright virginia. In the same way that an OTC burley becomes an old favorite over time precisely because you don't need to think about it too much, OG replicate that for a Virginia.
The other nice thing is that the supply train of Rattrays seems solid. Except for occasionally seeing Marlin Flake OOS, the others seem widely available. JR Cigars seems to have the best prices. $13.50 or so for 100g tins.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
Cortez:
I haven't seen a tin of Old Gowrie that mentioned perique. Are you sure? What era of tin?
I've smoked several tins of Old Gowrie -- it's one of my favorite VAs -- and I can guarantee you that no tin I've tried has contained perique. But, then, all of my tins are from 2006/2007; it's possible that they've changed the blend since then. But I can't imagine why they would.
Bob

jgriff

Can't Leave
Feb 20, 2013
The tobaccoreviews.com description says it has Kentucky & Perique but I don't think it's accurate. Much like Orlik Golden Sliced, I think it's 100% virginia. If there is anything else included, I think it's just the name of another tobacco whispered over it by the blender softly.
I can't find my Rattray's booklet included in the tin, but I don't recall it ever mentioning Perique.

lochinvar

Lifer
Oct 22, 2013
I love Old Gowrie, to me there is no VA like it. Very bright, clean and cool. It doesn't have the tang of McClellands or the perfumy sweet that some of the Euro house VAs have. I like Marlin Flake and HOTW and think they're better than most VA's out there, but they are a distant 2nd to Old Glaurung. If I were limited to one VA, this would probably be it.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
I recently grabbed a 50g tin of Old Gowrie from P&C for a revisit; I haven't smoked it in a number of years,although I remember enjoying it then, although I liked HotW much better. My tastes have broadened,having smoked more virginias; I am very interested to see what I think now.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
jgriff:
Oh, if Cortez meant the TR.com description, then that's completely different. Those listings can be incredibly wrong.
Bob

jgriff

Can't Leave
Feb 20, 2013
Coalsmoke - Yes, it can be used that way but normally, it's still detectable on a retrohale. However, in the case of Old Gowrie, Rattray has explicitly advertised it as "There is nothing here but pure virginia leaf", so I think it's just tobaccoreviews.com having the wrong data entered. I don't think anyone who has smoked it would describe it as having anything but virginia flake in it.
(After I typed this, I decided to check Pipesandcigars.com and they list perique in it as well but I stand by my assertion that perique isn't there)

oldtoby

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 7, 2011
Kolhase&Kopp are the makers of the Rattray line. Their website is in German, but Old Gowrie is listed as having Virginia, Kentucky and Perique.
Also, there's some new names used for some of their older Peterson blends.
Old Charles wouldn't know the blends today.

loneredtree

May 27, 2011
Sierra Foothills
I did enjoy this Va Blend. My sample is rubbed out not a flake. All I can add is that it burns easily and all the way to the bottom. Very nice!

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I mentioned that OG had Perique based on the description given by K&K, as Oldtoby noted above.

However, by my statement that "whatever it does to help the blend, it's doing it in the background",

I agree, you can't taste it. I would never use TR.com as a source for such facts.
Tin descriptions can often be erroneous too. Orlik Golden Sliced, small square tin, lists Va and Burley, but no Perique.

Orlik's Troels Mikkelsen claimed that it is a language translation error, and that OGS has Va and Perique, but no Burley.

It was, in fact, our own Kevin Godbee who sussed it out and got Troels to look into the matter.
Like Coalsmoke implied, there are probably a lot of blends that contain Perique for its effect, but don't mention it.

oldtoby

Dec 7, 2011
@ Cortez, Totally agree.
Also agree that TR.Com is NOT always correct.

nsfisher

Lifer
Nov 26, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
Tried it this morning and it was pretty good. Didn't blow me away but I did enjoy it. It did come in broken flake and had to be rubbed out. Stood almost 2 hours of drying time. Gonna have another bowl when I get home Sat. am. Thanks for all the comments, they helped a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.