Any noobs in the house? From one noob to another....

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

zonomo

Lifer
Nov 24, 2012
For all of you Noobs out there, I want to pass something along that I only learned just this week. When deciding what tobacco you like, don’t rule things out too quickly. When I started smoking pipes in Nov, I read a lot about 1-Q so I ran off to my local B&M to get some. I really didn’t like the first 3 bowls at all. I didn’t understand what all the hype was all about. Since then I have smoked a ton of others to see what I like. When organizing my tobacco with my pretty white labels, I ran across my original 1-Q purchase. I decided to give it another try. Wow was I surprised at how much I enjoyed this smoke. Cool smoke, no tongue bite, great flavor and great room note.
Here are my top 3 pieces of advice:
1) Don’t try to “get good too soon” by over thinking this, worrying too much about re-lights, being frustrated at hot bowls and tongue bite – just get better slowly, refine your technique slowly bowl after bowl – this isn’t a race.
2) Really pay attention to the people on this forum. They really know what they’re talking about, are very patient with noobs like me, and can steer you in the right direction when asked.
3) Don’t throw away any tobacco that you try and don’t like. As you gain technique and experience, your taste buds will likely change. My 1-Q example is case in point. Try new things, buy lots of 1 and 2 oz samples and enjoy the ride. Although I am an aromatic smoker right now, I bought some Mature Virginia to try out. I really hated it but was given the advice to hang on to it for a year. I’m doing that but I also put a small handful on a plate and just left it out. I have smoked 2 bowls of the uber dry tobacco and didn’t hate it! So that is progress – who knows… maybe my next bowl of that will be something I truly enjoy. Happy smoking friends…..

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
All excellent points, and I've been finding them to be true myself - had a lovely bowl of Vermont Meat Candy last night, and although I'm still puffing faster than I probably should, I managed to avoid tongue bite and was pleasantly surprised to find that the 3rd time I had to stop to relight, the bowl was actually finished and there was nothing to relight...
And point 3 is well taken. I've got a couple of slightly goopy B&M blends that appeal greatly to my nose, but which don't really taste much like they smell. Given how rarely I actually smoke, a journal seems like a good idea so that I can get a sense of how my tastes change over the course of working my way through the samples...

surlysoul

Might Stick Around
Jan 22, 2013
I agree and I have also found that I now like some tobaccos I didn't care for when I first tried them. When I first started I took the approach that I would narrow down what kind of tobacco I like and stick with it. As it turns out I haven't narrowed down anything and find that at different times I am in the mood for different tobaccos.

cynyr

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 12, 2012
Tennessee
Excellent points, as all above have affirmed. Smoke to please yourself, and don't obsess over details.

zanthal

Lifer
Dec 3, 2011
Pleasanton, CA
It is a very good point. It's a point I wish I had realized when I first started smoking a pipe in 2000.
Everything we experience in life, we measure based on other experiences. The more you try, the more you have to compare with.
Lane 1Q is somewhat a "simple" flavor, I've heard it reviewed as such and I can't disagree, but sometimes, that's just what you want.
Don't be hasty! :puffy:

Status
Not open for further replies.