PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

crazyhog

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 18, 2015
Hi, I was just wondering if there are collectors out there that dont smoke their pipes. I'm guessing that there are some sellers, but how about hobbyists. Just curious.

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
It would surprise you how many. An example is the Chicago Show where several non-smoking or cigarette smoking only vendors were selling high grade pipes. Like those who enjoy other art forms, they just appreciate the creativity and artistry of pipes.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
We've had at least several Forums members declare themselves non-pipe-smoking collectors. We don't seem to hear from them that regularly, perhaps because so many threads relate to smoking itself, but they are certainly out there. I think it is an entirely valid pursuit. People collect snuff boxes who don't use snuff, and similar kinds of collectibles of all kinds. It shows that pipe smokers are drawn into a kind of double jeopardy, the pipe smoking experience while being entranced by the craft of pipe making. Artisan pipes are of course a joy to behold in many cases, but factory pipes are also a great medium for industrial design. Some of the great classic pipe carvers designed for factory pipe makers like Stanwell and others.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
As moderately as I smoke, my number of pipes exceeds my smoking needs, so though I consider myself devoted pipe smoker, I seem to have a collection that exceeds those needs ... nothing exotic, rare, or expensive, but quite a few pipes.

scottfree

Lurker
Feb 14, 2019
Much of the craft of the ideal pipe is how well it smokes. I wonder how many artisan pipe makers take that out of the equation knowing that their pipes might not ever get smoked.

stevecourtright

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 4, 2018
Evanston, IL
I met a guy who lived in Vail, Colorado who only collected (high end) Radice pipes. Never smoked 'em. He liked how they looked and was thinking they were good investments.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Like those who enjoy other art forms, they just appreciate the creativity and artistry of pipes.
Wait...I thought the prevailing consensus was that a pipe is nothing more than a nicotine delivery device. Now I'm confused again.

Status
Not open for further replies.