PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

smeigs

Lifer
Jun 26, 2012
Hey guys just thought I would share my excitement for my upcoming muskie fishing trip. I have been fishing my entire life really but never had the chance to go hunt for some muskie, so needless to say I am pretty excited to go "predator" fishing! I know they can take a finger off if you are not careful so hopefully Ill come back with all my fingers! Just curious if anyone has any experience with these types of fish. Happy smoking everyone and I will be sure to post some photos if I get lucky enough to catch one!

rangerearthpig

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 5, 2014
I've never fished for or even eaten a muskie. It's on my bucket list, but I'm going to have to travel a looooong way to fulfill that fantasy. Hope you have good luck. Please post pics of your trip!

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Muskie are awesome to catch and even better to eat!

IMHO, they taste a bit like Northern Pike.
Where are you going ... you lucky dog! :)

smeigs

Lifer
Jun 26, 2012
thats good to hear cobguy! We have one lake here in New Mexico that is home to Tiger muskie. They put the muskie in the lake a few years ago to get rid of the gold fish problem. Now they are all about 30 inches and up.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Bluewater Lake, perhaps?
As I recall, we used 4-5 inch floating Rapalas and were trolling pretty fast.
I really miss Walleye, Pike and Muskie ... good eating! Have fun and post pics!

lazydog

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 24, 2012
Back in the 60s I worked at a resort in the Chippewa flowage in Northern Wisconsin... Muskie headquarters. People were muskie fishin nutz. Ummm big nasty predators....Amazing fish. Good luck, smeigs....

pipejunky

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 16, 2014
I live in fishing paradise with muskie waters all around me.The antisipation of catching one is what gets me going.Hope your goimg with someone who has experience, cause catching them is not easy.Good luck and if you catch one or more I'd like to see some pictures.

landon

Might Stick Around
Dec 18, 2013
They don't call them the fish of 1000 casts for nothing . They are a tough catch.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Muskie, that's a fish with a rack of teeth to behold! Watch your thumbs and fingers, and good luck, and

good dining! Some full size needle nose pliers would be a good take-along for getting those hooks out.

Chomp-chomp.

cuchulain

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 28, 2014
Massachusetts
Where I used to live in Jersey there' was this beautiful state park basically in my back yard. One big lake and a few small ponds. One was officially known as Lookout Lake, but we all called it Pickerel Pond, as that's all that lived in it. We'd head out with a cooler and would be pulling in chain pickerel all day long.
Up here in Mass we tend to get a lot of Northern Pike. Caught a nice 30 incher ice fishing back in January.

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
I used to go yearly to the Chippewa Flowage in Wisconsin in the extreme north section called Crane Lake.

Caught a few, but none were keepers. As luck would have it, one day I decided to just do some pan fishing for Crappies with 4 lb. test line and a Pinkie for bait. What fish decided to go after it? A freaking huge muskie grabbed it and as it went slowly by the side of my boat just inches below the surface of the water it was easily 4 feet long! Needles to say the line simply snapped. My legs were shaking so much I went back to shore and got drunk. lol I've only eaten it once, but it was smoked. Some great times, but that was back in the 70's.

lockdown199

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 28, 2013
Did a lot of ice fishing threw the ice and caught a lot of pike but never a musky. Something I'd also like to try.

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
I've wanted to catch one on a fly for some time now. I have never landed one but have done battle with a few. They are an amazing fish and around thi part of the country, revered as the King of the game fish. Most dedicated musky fisherman that I know are strictly catch and release and they usually use a cradle net and barbless hooks to minimize the physical contact. This protects the fishes slime coat and gives them the opportunity to grow larger and live to fight another day. Good luck on your trip!

smeigs

Lifer
Jun 26, 2012
20140524_133827-1-1-423x600.jpg

One of the muskie I caught. Not the biggest in the lake but it was a blast and it was a good lookin fish.

tlag77

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 3, 2013
I live near Lake St. Clair, and a friend of mine has a boat out there, hoping to give it a run rhis season.

12pups

Lifer
Feb 9, 2014
Minnesota
I live in Minnesota. I won't hear of anyone saying they have bigger or smarter muskies than we have here at home.
Why, to demonstrate -- just the other day, on my lunch break on the shoreline (everywhere in MInnesota is shoreline), I was sitting there feeling the freeze, enjoying the sun, and listening to waves softly lapping at the limbs of a tree that had succumbed to shoreline erosion and was lying at a low angle, supported by huge branches that were likely propping it up from the sandy, weedy bottom.
Along comes this crazy little pine squirrel, just a chirping and scooting, and studying this acorn that was out on a far limb. Little by little he made the treacherous tight rope walk out there, five, six inches at a time, shaking his tail, looking warily around, and moving in little skitters.
Finally, he made it to the acorn. But just as he was bending to get it in his teeth -- WHAM!!! A huge ol' muskie burst from the water, sucked him in his maw and sank back down like a gloating Great White shark.
I had fumbled my pipe, I was so startled by the thing. Ash got between the web of my hand and the pipe, singed me a good one.
I was just getting it tamped and refreshed good, when out of the corner of my eye I saw a motion by the limb. Here comes the acorn again, gliding along like it had a motor and a sense of direction. Then I saw what the issue was: It rose up out of the water on that same muskie's nose. He sat it on the limb, pushed it this way and that to center it, then slowly sank down again to lie in wait for the next squirrel.
True story. And if you heard it before, it was stolen from me.
Pups
(Smeigs -- nice looking fish, you devil!)

smeigs

Lifer
Jun 26, 2012
Thanks guys. And cobguy, I could not eat that one because it wasn't big enough to keep. The law at the lake is, it has to be 40 inches or larger in order to keep the fish. I think the fish I caught was around 30 or so. But, I will be back soon to catch some more!

Status
Not open for further replies.