PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bambam

Can't Leave
Jun 22, 2011
Virginia
We hit the blues already any jazz fans out there????? Who's your favorite???? Me I'm a Miles Davis, John Coltrane kinda dude. :puffy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7vQuPIjK1Ks

Aug 14, 2012
Yes. My favorite is Lester Young. Also Charles Mingus, especially Blues and Roots, and of the contemporary people, Bill Mays solo. Mays at Maybeck is one of the great solo piano CDs.

philobeddoe

Lifer
Oct 31, 2011
East Indiana
I absolutely love Jazz, Ragtime through Fusion and modern day stuff as well. I especially enjoy Horce Silver, Monk, Miles, Mingus, Brubeck, Lester Young and Ornette Coleman. Horace Silver is probably my favorite, from his early work with the Jazz Messengers to his Fusion inspired albums, there is something about how he plays the piano that touches my soul.

Jul 15, 2011
Dont know whether or not you could really consider this jazz, but anyone ever heard of The Cinematic Orchestra? Very good band, this is my favorite song by them, very mellow and perfect smoking music for me.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gX0loEiSn6k
And then, of course, you have the ever brilliant jazz pianist Vince Guaraldi of Charlie Brown and Peanuts fame:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQPWDjfe4MI
Ray Charles probably also isnt really considered "jazz", but the man managed to cover almost every genre of music in his career. There was a reason that man was called "The Blind Sensation" and "The Genius."

Aug 14, 2012
I saw/heard Mingus twice, Mays three times I think. Nobody else live that I can remember. I regret that I was alive during the careers of Pres, Bird & Pops, but did not yet know about them.

gmpilcher

Lurker
Jul 7, 2013
Herbie Hancock to Pat Metheny...but my favorite style is Vocalese. More especially, Lambert, Hendricks & Ross...sometimes I enjoy Bavan (substitute for Ross during her heroin addicted years)...
One of the most pure jazz voices of the modern day has got to be Kurt Elling!

werdna

Can't Leave
Jun 6, 2013
Every year my wife and I go to the Saratoga (NY) Jass Fest. We've seen some really great performers over the years, as well as many up coming unknowns. Jazz is such a wide all encompassing genre, there's always something to please.
This year we saw Buddy Guy, The Presentation Hall Jazz Band, Ladysmith Black Mambazo, and Toni Bennett. What a super line up of talent. Dave Brubeck was honored with a star on the SPAC Walk of Fame. He played there eleven times over the past thirty six year history of the festival. I took this pic of his star:

DaveBrubeck_star by Andrew Bacchi, on Flickr

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
As a guitar player my early influences were Chuck Wayne, Mundel Lowe, Joe Pass, Charlie Byrd Wes Montgomery, Django and even Chet Atkins. On piano, which I also play, Bill Evans, Joe Sample, Oscar Peterson and a host more. I really gotten into what is refered to as "Smooth Jazz". I like the melodic aspects of it and there are some great musicians out there. Fun thread.

Aug 14, 2012
Suh-wing!!! Bebop's good too. For me nothing (no music nohow) beats Count Basie, Lester young, Art Tatum. If have heard Bird's entire recorded work, and like it, but I paint better to swing. Gillespie, not for me, except the Cadillac song (swing low sweet Cadillac). Billie Holiday was off key, but she got away with it. I did the pictures for Bird's last pianoplayer, Walter Bishop Jr. What an enormous pair of hands! Sorry if I sound a little crazy, but I just had the craziest dream. I like but don't love Ella. Almost met her, my uncle knew her, now both of them are dead. Nobody mentioned Hot Lips Paige or Roy Eldridge, the best technical trumpeter I ever heard. I used to play the trumpet, badly. I also played the piano, recorder, ram's horn and cardboard mailing tubes. But I was a lousy musician because I was forced to play as a young child as punishment for being alive. And I forgot how to read it.

ebklodt

Might Stick Around
Nov 9, 2012
+1 on Lester Young... nobody swings like that guy!
Johnny Smith and Hank Garland are my favorite jazz guitar players.
Lionel Hampton is a great vibe player
Love Anita O'day's singing

Aug 14, 2012
If you play Pres (Lester) on a faster speed, it sounds like Bird (Parker). Do you know why B. Holliday was called Lady Day? Because Pres called everyone lady, even the men. He was a great soul. He never could understand why, in WWII Glenn Miller & guys like that got to be musicians, and he was a soldier toting a rifle. He spent a lot of his hitch locked up. One day his brother took him to a boxing match. Lester said "It looks like they are trying to knock each other out." His bro said "that's the idea." Pres asked "and you took me to see such a thing"? Then I heard a radio interview he gave before he died. He was farting and the French interviewer complained. Lester said something like "I should knock you down". He also did the interview totally or partially nude. Not sure which because it was not TV. I can still hear his voice.

You have to like Anita O'Day. Do you know the record she made with Roy Eldridge? His solos on it were his best, especially "Uptown". Nobody could ever get those notes like Roy in the early 40s, nobody.

jbbaldwin

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 1, 2012
Stan Kenton.
Bill Chase, Maynard Ferguson, and Don Ellis.
Miles Davis.
Duke Ellington, Dave Brubeck, and Bill Evans.
Django.
Eva Cassidy.

rmason

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 27, 2013
Dang it, I was just considering making a jazz thread this morning, but it looks like someone already did, I love bebop and swing mainly Charlie Parker, Charles Mingus, Dizzy Gillespie, and Glenn Miller. Overall I love all jazz its the only thing I listen to when smoking.

joeahearn

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 30, 2012
I love jazz, especially Ellington, Count Basie, Bird and Diz, Lester Young, Coltrane, Ornette Coleman. Jazz is America's classical music.

Status
Not open for further replies.