PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

smeigs

Lifer
Jun 26, 2012
I recently picked up the Hot Tea idea. Been drinking it everyday for a few days now. I tend to be attracted to the Earl Grey type stuff and the scottish stuff. I like the darker, less sweet teas. But, I am trying to quit drinking so much coffee and I feel that hot tea is doing me justice. I really enjoy the different blends and types of loose leaf teas. It kind of reminds me of the pipe hobby. Loose leaf teas remind me of different pipe tobacco blends. You can also store teas in similar jars as pipe tobacco... Anyone else drink this stuff?

daimyo

Lifer
May 15, 2014
I owned a Chinese tea import business in my younger years. We sold only Oolongs an Pu-erh along side traditional yi-xing clay ware. I encourage all tea drinkers to try tea made in this fashion. Much like tobacco, tea presents a near infinite range of flavors from so subtle it could be considered delicate to over the top. Camellia Sinensis is an amazing plant. If you need any input on this type of tea, just let me know.

macabra11

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 14, 2014
Boise, ID
I go through spurts of tea drinking. Mostly I like hot tea in the afternoons when it's cooler out (no hot tea in summer), and then I can still have my coffee in the mornings. I drink a lot of sun tea in the summer.
My favorite afternoon pick-me-up is Irish Breakfast with a dash of milk and a teeny touch of sugar. I have to drink it fairly fast though, because I can't stand when it cools down.
Another interesting tea to try is Russian Caravan, a blend of oolong lapsang souchong and keemun. Smoky and meaty. Definitely NOT a light or sweet tea!

ravkesef

Lifer
Aug 10, 2010
Cheshire, CT
I'm a tea drinker and Smeigs is right on target about the variety of teas out there. Loose tea is the only way to go--brings out the full flavor of whatever variety of tea you're drinking. Some of the orientals that Daimyo mentioned are subcategories in their own right, with dozens of varieties subsumed within the general class. While there are many tea companies providing very good teas (Teavana, Adagio, etc.,) I do most of my shopping at Upton Tea, a company located outside the Boston area that carries literally hundreds of different types of keys along with the equipment for preparing. Their quality is unsurpassed, and they're more than willing to help out with instructions for brewing the tea in the best fashion. Take a gander at their website. Kind of like our online-tobacco providers.

loneredtree

Part of the Furniture Now
May 27, 2011
Sierra Foothills
macabra...Russian Caravan use to be a Twinnings product. I have not seen that in years. Who produces yours? Do you think that it is similar? (if you have tried both)
I mostly drink Green,Oolong, and jasmine.

davidintexas

Jun 4, 2013
I drink a cup or two at work most days. I'm definitely not a connoisseur, but just find it convenient to use a Bigelow tea bag. Each bag is sealed in a foil packet so it doesn't come out as dry and stale as others, as far as tea bags go. Black tea, English Teatime, is pretty good, but I'm sure it pales to insignificance to the loose tea varieties that are out there. The only thing that would be better is if I could just smoke my pipe at work with the tea. But they just don't understand my needs :cry:

macabra11

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 14, 2014
Boise, ID
loneredtree, I have only tried the "Choice" brand of Russian Caravan http://www.freshbeak.com/choice-teas-russian-caravan-tea-3x16-bag.html?q=russian+caravan I've found it at a couple local grocery stores in my area, but if you look online for Russian Caravan, you will be presented with other options.
I have not had any other brand of it.

maxpeters

Can't Leave
Jan 4, 2010
I like tea. I have been a tea drinker for almost 30 years. Back in '85 I accidently poisoned my system with malathion while doing yard work, and became extremely sensitive to coffee, chocolate, cokes, and aspirin. I don't know why just those things, but I couldn't take any without breaking out in a rash. Since I was one of those people that would drink coffee all day long, I had to find an alternative. I found that tea would not adversely affect my system, so I switched to tea and have not looked back.

I like English Teatime best, but since Lipton is cheaper, I just usually buy that. I drink mine with a little sugar and milk. Also, I don't know if it's the antioxidents in tea or what, but since becoming a tea drinker, I have only had the flue once in all that time. I also do not catch any serious colds.

But even today I do find myself wanting a cup of coffee and a cigarette in the mornings. I quite cigarettes in 1981. Old habits die hard.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I love, crave, and savor tea, hot and cold. Unfortunately, I have to moderate it out of wariness of

kidney stones. Yes, I'm afraid they are associated. Along with that old favorite in my Southeastern

part of the country, greens of all kinds -- collards, turnip greens, mustard, etc. But when I can settle

down with a good cup of black or green hot tea, I am a happy customer. Just not too often, alas.

smeigs

Lifer
Jun 26, 2012
I just find it great that there are so many different varieties of teas. I also like that the caffeine hit from tea is more time lapsed, unlike coffee which is a great little kick but you soon have the crash not too long after.

conlejm

Lifer
Mar 22, 2014
Usually four cups of green loose-leaf tea each day. Hot. I make two cups and then re-steep later in the day. Usually Sencha, but sometimes Gyokuro, Kabusecha, and Bancha. Very good for you, especially of you are trying to lower your cholesterol levels.

antbauers

Jul 12, 2013
I need a cup of coffee or tea with my pipe, I'm more partial to the latter. I gotta try some of the teas everyone listed. I usually drink Bigelows or Stash brand green teas.

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
My wife is complaining about the 20+ varieties of tea that I have. They are crowding her tea collection. I enjoy hot tea every night. I drink green, white, black, pu-erh and other stuff.

rcstan

Lifer
Mar 7, 2012
Sunset Beach NC
What other sort of tea is there :lol:
I did not know about the iced stuff until I was in my 20s. Definitely not my cuppa ( pun intended ) but I was told I make a pretty good batch of it if called upon.
Keep quite a variety of herbal and medicinal ones ( in the loose ), as well as the commercially available baggies, on hand. The evenings have been a bit too warm lately, and life a little too busy, so I've mostly been drinking wine with my evening pipes ....

woopigsooie

Might Stick Around
Jul 21, 2014
I have a feeling that you guys don't live near where I live. The eleventh commandment clearly states that in summer time in the south, if one chooses to enjoy tea, said tea is to be iced in a glass...I do enjoy a hot cup of tea in the evening when the days get shorter, mostly just Bigelow that you can find at the grocery store.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
My tea infuser cup sees more time as a flake drying station.
The tobacco dries on top and the smallest stuff (kindling) gathers at the bottom:
teacup2-440x600.jpg

elpfeife

Lifer
Dec 25, 2013
Only an occasional coffee drinker. My early morning mainstay is Barry's Irish - a black tea. I will go with Twinings or PG Tips if necessary.

Status
Not open for further replies.