Pipes Magazine » Food & Drink - Restaurants and at Home - Recipes Too

Tags:  No tags yet. 

Any homebrewers?

(8 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

dare66

Login to Send PM

Any homebrewers out there? I've been brewing since 1995 love to brew Saisons, porters, stouts, NEIPAs and dopplebocks. I'm having one of my dopplebocks now.

Posted 2 months ago #
  2. redglow

redglow

Login to Send PM

I’ve got 5 gallons of Russian Imperial Stout that I need to make time to bottle.

I brewed it and transferred it to a secondary fermenter. I’m hoping it turns out ok. It’s been in the secondary for a couple of months. But probably about 14% alcohol. So, I imagine it’s ok.

Posted 2 months ago #
  3. filmshooter

filmshooter

Login to Send PM

I've been brewing since 99, just haven't done any recently. I gave up on bottling early and went straight to kegs and force carbonation.

Posted 2 months ago #
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

I used to brew quite a bit, but now there are so many local breweries in my small town. It is no longer hard to find a good beer. That said, I will still brew a sour, saison, or a citrus hopped ipa once or twice a year.

I also enjoyed brewing and aging Russian imperial stouts. I tended to hop them aggressively and let the flavor develop over a few years in the cellar.

Posted 2 months ago #
  5. shanez

shanez

Login to Send PM

I've been brewing for a while but I'm still in the "experimental" stage. I'll take a recipe I like and do things like dry hopping or adding a hint of a different malt just to see what the results are.

Right now I'm working on what I call a "pale stout". Going for a citrusy/orangey pale ale style hop profile but with a more malty stout body profile and a mildly chocolatey flavor profile. Chocolate? Orange? Beer? What's not to like? Still haven't got it worked out yet though. At least the results are still as good as or better than many mass produced beers out there.

Belgian dubbels and tripels are fun to brew also.

Posted 2 months ago #
  6. acidpox

acidpox

Login to Send PM

I also brew, have 5 gallons of cider that needs to be bottled. I mostly stick with ciders and mead just for there ease and simplicity, but for time time to time I also brew IPAs and stouts. I really want to get into sours and lambics but I'm too afraid to introduce the bugs into my brewing equipment for fear it will contaminate all my carboys and bottling equipment.

Posted 2 months ago #
  7. davek

davek

Login to Send PM

I make apple wine. Pretty quick and dirty, but I've gotten pretty good at consistently getting a decent product with little cash and time outlay. It comes in at 18% - 20%. Admittedly not a lot of character or bouquet, I usually use it in highballs or make a wine cooler type thang.

Posted 2 months ago #
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

dare66

Login to Send PM

I love Russian Imperial Stouts it's a great winter warmer. I have a few 5 gallons bourbon barrels that I've used to age a few.

Posted 2 months ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   cortezattic, davek, theloniousmonkfish, ophiuchus, alaskanpiper, jjarrett88, dukdalf, weezell, jiminks, naytandova, spartacus