Tags:  No tags yet. 

Any homebrewers?

(28 posts)
  • Started 4 months ago by dare66
  • Latest reply from craiginthecorn
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

dare66

Login to Send PM

Any homebrewers out there? I've been brewing since 1995 love to brew Saisons, porters, stouts, NEIPAs and dopplebocks. I'm having one of my dopplebocks now.

Posted 4 months ago #
  2. redglow

redglow

Login to Send PM

I’ve got 5 gallons of Russian Imperial Stout that I need to make time to bottle.

I brewed it and transferred it to a secondary fermenter. I’m hoping it turns out ok. It’s been in the secondary for a couple of months. But probably about 14% alcohol. So, I imagine it’s ok.

Posted 4 months ago #
  3. filmshooter

filmshooter

Login to Send PM

I've been brewing since 99, just haven't done any recently. I gave up on bottling early and went straight to kegs and force carbonation.

Posted 4 months ago #
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

I used to brew quite a bit, but now there are so many local breweries in my small town. It is no longer hard to find a good beer. That said, I will still brew a sour, saison, or a citrus hopped ipa once or twice a year.

I also enjoyed brewing and aging Russian imperial stouts. I tended to hop them aggressively and let the flavor develop over a few years in the cellar.

Posted 4 months ago #
  5. shanez

shanez

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I've been brewing for a while but I'm still in the "experimental" stage. I'll take a recipe I like and do things like dry hopping or adding a hint of a different malt just to see what the results are.

Right now I'm working on what I call a "pale stout". Going for a citrusy/orangey pale ale style hop profile but with a more malty stout body profile and a mildly chocolatey flavor profile. Chocolate? Orange? Beer? What's not to like? Still haven't got it worked out yet though. At least the results are still as good as or better than many mass produced beers out there.

Belgian dubbels and tripels are fun to brew also.

Posted 4 months ago #
  6. acidpox

acidpox

Login to Send PM

I also brew, have 5 gallons of cider that needs to be bottled. I mostly stick with ciders and mead just for there ease and simplicity, but for time time to time I also brew IPAs and stouts. I really want to get into sours and lambics but I'm too afraid to introduce the bugs into my brewing equipment for fear it will contaminate all my carboys and bottling equipment.

Posted 4 months ago #
  7. davek

davek

Login to Send PM

I make apple wine. Pretty quick and dirty, but I've gotten pretty good at consistently getting a decent product with little cash and time outlay. It comes in at 18% - 20%. Admittedly not a lot of character or bouquet, I usually use it in highballs or make a wine cooler type thang.

Posted 4 months ago #
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

dare66

Login to Send PM

I love Russian Imperial Stouts it's a great winter warmer. I have a few 5 gallons bourbon barrels that I've used to age a few.

Posted 4 months ago #
  9. elektronikfreak

elektronikfreak

Login to Send PM

Every Autumn I make some grape and apple wine. Yes, we have very good quality grapes in the southern Sweden.

Information is not knowledge... Knowledge is not wisdom... Wisdom is not truth... Truth is not beauty... Beauty is not love... Love is not music... Music is the best! *** Frank Zappa 1940 - 1993 ***
    Posted 1 month ago #
  10. elessar

elessar

Login to Send PM

I've been brewing for a few years although I haven't made any recently due to chasing a toddler around the house. I intend to start a new batch soon though. Time to fire up the beer machine once again.

Posted 1 month ago #
  11. alaskanpiper

alaskanpiper

Login to Send PM

Yep. Was on the board of directors for the great northern brewers club up here for a bit. Love to brew it all but particularly ipa, ris, belgians, and brett beers. Also wits.

"We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that death will tremble to take us." ---Hank

"Yeah, well, you know that's just like, uh, your opinion, man..." --- The Dude
    Posted 1 month ago #
  12. twangthang

twangthang

Login to Send PM

As Anonymous said I love brewing but there are so many local breweries out there I haven’t brewed in a while. I have tried my hand at wine making and enjoyed that. I would love to give mead making try.

Posted 1 month ago #
  13. User has not uploaded an avatar

nunnster

Login to Send PM

I have been brewing off and on since 2007. I started doing it while in the Army because it was far cheaper to brew 10 gallons of beer than to buy its equivalent, and for several years every month I would try to brew something. Over the last few years I haven't had much time for many of my hobbies due to rapid life changes (youngest son born, went back to school,and a host of other things), but I longingly look at my glass carboy and buckets for the time the pace of my life slows down and I can brew again. I also experimented with making mead and apple Ice wine, neither of which turned out great but got the job done.

Posted 1 month ago #
  14. mikethompson

mikethompson

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

My buddy gave me a Mr. Beer kit a few years ago that I dabbled with. It was fun, but my home brew stuff was always a little too tasteless for me. I'd like to give it another go when I'm not chasing toddlers around.

Posted 1 month ago #
  15. elessar

elessar

Login to Send PM

To me, those Mr. Beer kits leave a lot to be desired. You would probably have much better results ordering a beer kit from a supplier like Midwest Supplies or someone local. You can make that on a turkey fryer or even the stove if needed.

Posted 1 month ago #
  16. User has not uploaded an avatar

nunnster

Login to Send PM

Yea I agree. The Mr. Beer kits are a great intro into brewing, but they are kind of lack luster. Unless they have changed, it's a full malt extract. If and when you get time, if it suits your fancy, I would suggest trying to do a partial grain brew. You can still use malt extract for the base of the wort and make a good beer, but you're definitely going to need some adjunct grains to really give it flavor and mouthfeel.

Posted 1 month ago #
  17. elessar

elessar

Login to Send PM

nunnster hits the nail on the head. Don't let Mr. Beer kits dissuade you from brewing. The partial grain brewing isn't really much more difficult and the results are much better.

Posted 1 month ago #
  18. alaskanpiper

alaskanpiper

Login to Send PM

Mr. Beer kits are BS.

Partial, or steeped grain brewing can make just as good of beer as all grain brewing, you just don't have as many options and you have a little less control/customization. The first Best of Show I ever won in a homebrew comp was a porter I made with extract + steeped grain. It's super easy, and requires much less time, investment, effort, and knowledge, and you can make some great beer.

I would recommend doing several batches of extract + steeped grain brews to learn the procedural ropes, and then consider moving up to all grain with the classic cooler mash tun. Easy to build and way less intimidating than it seems at first.

And remember, when the going gets tough, Relax, Don't Worry, Have a Homebrew!

Posted 1 month ago #
  19. mikethompson

mikethompson

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Fair enough on the Mr. Beer kits, I know I wasn't going to get a premium brew from it. It is something that I think about occasionally, but with other methods does my house smell like a brewery?

Something like Agent Schrader's set up would be nice!

Posted 1 month ago #
  20. alaskanpiper

alaskanpiper

Login to Send PM

Your house will smell like a brewery during the boil and for a couple hours after. Its a weird smell at first, but you come to love it over time. Just like latakia or peat

Posted 1 month ago #
  21. tschiraldi

tschiraldi

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I make wine and limoncello.

Posted 1 month ago #
  22. craiginthecorn

craiginthecorn

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I started homebrewing in 1985 after a visit to Europe where I brought back a kit for English Bitter Ale from Boots pharmacy. I brewed for several years and eventually brewed a few all-grain batches, but honestly, none of my beers were any good. Once the American Craft beer movement started, I gave up brewing my crappy, but flavorful beers.

Fast forward 20 years and after tasting several homebrews by multiple brewers, all of which were light-years better than anything I had made, I decided to try again. I'm blown away by how much better the information, ingredients, equipment, and especially sanitizers are today. I'm two brews back in, both all-grain, and both have been quite good and far better than my previous efforts. Keezer construction has begun!

Posted 1 month ago #
  23. kylef

kylef

Login to Send PM

Another long-time homebrewer here.

I was getting frustrated, as my process seemed to be getting more and more involved, with mixed results. Around 2012, I decided to radically streamline things. I went back to simple extract brewing, and I ditched the keg system and went back to bottles. Like anything, I think the secret to homebrewing is getting your system and procedures down, and that's where I am now.

I don't dispute that all-grain brewing gives more complexity to the final beer, but you can certainly make world-class beers just with extract brewing (and specialty grains) if you know what you're doing. Most important bit of advice that I ever got, which drastically improved all my beers: make sure your wort has cooled enough (mid-60's) before you pitch the yeast--that eliminates so many off-flavors that often cause that "homebrew twang". That, and maintain good sanitary procedures to avoid any bacterial infections.

I'm out of sync with much of the homebrewing community, as I'm not into high-gravity, heavily hopped beers. I like old UK style session ales, low alcohol, low on bittering hops and light on carbonation, and that's what I make--bitters, brown ales, porters, stouts and Belgian ales. My beers may not rank with the world's greatest, but they're consistently clean, flavorful, balanced and...very drinkable!

Posted 2 weeks ago #
  24. alaskanpiper

alaskanpiper

Login to Send PM

That, and maintain good sanitary procedures to avoid any bacterial infections.

This is by far the most common mistake I see in new homebrewers. There is so much potential for infection, from a mouth on a racking cane to a fondled rim of a wyeast smack pack, EVERY..........SINGLE...........THING must hit that sanny.

I'm out of sync with much of the homebrewing community, as I'm not into high-gravity, heavily hopped beers. I like old UK style session ales,

You are probably more in line with a lot of the homebrewing community than you think. There are plenty of commercial examples of HG or Hop bombs out there. UK session style ales? Not so much......that is part of the beauty of homebrewing..........you can brew whatever you find lacking in the commercial industry.

Posted 2 weeks ago #
  25. elessar

elessar

Login to Send PM

One of my favorite beers to home brew is the extract/steeped grain version of Fuller's London Pride. What a great beer. Fuller's actually made the recipe public as well. My last batch was almost identical to the real thing.

I also got frustrated with the consistency from batch to batch. I went from brewing with a friend on a propane turkey fryer to a home built electric brewing kettle using SS water heater type elements run on timers and PID controllers. Much more accurate temperature control and very consistent. I also ended up with a SS wort chiller to control pitching temperature.

Posted 2 weeks ago #
  26. kylef

kylef

Login to Send PM

You are probably more in line with a lot of the homebrewing community than you think. There are plenty of commercial examples of HG or Hop bombs out there. UK session style ales? Not so much......that is part of the beauty of homebrewing..........you can brew whatever you find lacking in the commercial industry.

Yep, totally agree--that's what makes homebrewing so great: it's your beer the way you want it. And once you get the hang of it, it's much cheaper, as well. I'm not even going out of my way to cut costs, and homebrewing still runs about half the cost of buying good beer.

Session beers are still a small segment of the beer world, but they are gaining a little traction on the East Coast. I have this awesome brewery near me, that I literally drive by on my way to work. They specialize in session Czech, German and Polish lagers:

https://www.notchbrewing.com/

Posted 2 weeks ago #
  27. lightxmyfire

lightxmyfire

Login to Send PM

I love to brew! It’s been a minute since I’ve last had time, but I’ve got my Rye Pale Ale on tap, brewed that one for my wedding a few years ago, a friend helped me name it “For better or for Wort” and I’ve got all the grains for a Vienna Lager just waiting on the shelf!

Posted 2 weeks ago #
  28. craiginthecorn

craiginthecorn

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

From what I have understood, extracts have gotten quite good and can produce excellent beer, but my inner beer nerd enjoys starting from the grain. For those intimidated by the process, try a single infusion mash using the brew in a bag (BIAB) method. It’s a great and inexpensive method for mashing with the main downside being that it’s a bit less efficient than sparging, so you’ll have a slightly lower OG. I see some companies selling BIAB ingredient kits now.

My next brew will be revisiting my very first homebrew — an old-school English bitter. I’m certain this one will be much, much better.

Posted 2 weeks ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   mikethompson