PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
If you're not familiar with it, here's a link:
http://www.google.com/intl/en/chrome/devices/chromecast/
This looks like a must-have item. $29 on Amazon. My one question is (hoping someone here already has one) - will anything playing in Chrome play on the TV? For ex., my wife and I enjoy The Amazing Race which we watch via the CBS website (and CBS uses their own flash-drive proprietary video player).
So if I play The Amazing Race on full screen, will appear full screen on my TV using Chromecast?

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
Six. I've been thinking about it myself and as of yet haven't bought one.
There are two options one is the chromecast app where there are 17 apps you can run.
Also you can stream from a chrome browser:

"From a personal computer, you can mirror a Chrome browser tab on the big screen. Again, the connection often cuts out."
The article that is from says that you need good wifi in your home or the connection will cut out from time to time.
http://www.mercurynews.com/business/ci_24759450/roku-apple-tv-and-chromecast-which-one-streams

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
Well doesn't that look fantastic. Yet again a much more simplified approach than what Apple has done. I imagine that the setup of this will be as easy as Google's cloud services vs iCloud too. Not much of a risk at that price is it?

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Thanks for everyone's input - it is much appreciated and great to know. Fortunately I have a strong WiFi signal.
Now I just have to make 100% certain my SONY Wega (trinitron) has an HDMI port (pretty sure it does).
Not much of a risk at that price is it?
My thoughts exactly!

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
I'm very intrigued Six, I have a Samsung Galaxy Note 3 phone, a Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 tablet and now use Google Chrome as the web browser on my laptop. If this works I may have to do some Boxing Day shopping and see if I can find one. The idea of using that to stream from my phone direct to the tv with no wires is very appealing.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
I haven't tried the Chromecast -- I'm using Apple TV as well as Roku -- but it's important to note that the Chromecast isn't a way to watch any content you might actually own on a device (say photos or a home movie that you keep on your tablet). It's a way to launch and view Web-based content on your TV.
This is, of course, something you can also do with Apple TV (which also allows you to watch and listen to any content you already own, whether it's in the cloud or on another computer on your Wifi network.) But if you're using the Apple TV's Airplay function, the device that's streaming to your TV can't be used for anything else. With Chromecast, your device isn't actually streaming to the Chromecast hardware (as it is with Apple TV). Instead, your device is simply sending a message to the Chromecast hardware, which then does the heavy lifting itself, going on the Web itself to carry out the instructions. As soon as that's done, your device is then freed up for any other use (Web surfing, games, etc.).
Also, check out the list of supported apps (HBO Go, Hulu, etc.) on the Chromecast site. If you're streaming from a site like ABC, you'll currently need to do that through the Chrome browser, which will need to have the Chromecast extension installed. (I'm guessing ABC will be releasing a Chromecast app soon, though; they're well-entrenched on both Roku and Apple TV -- and since the Chromecast has been very successful, I'm sure they'll join the bandwagon.)
Bob

tamer291

Can't Leave
Jun 26, 2013
My wife is getting me one for Christmas. Can't wait. And you really can't beat the price. Seems like its going to be the new way to watch TV.

natibo

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 10, 2013
Cincinnati, OH USA
I am big fan of Roku. I have 3 of them. The channel selection is better than chromecast and I can get my cable channels through the Roku obviating the need for a cable box on those TV's. Roku + Amazon Prime gives me about everything I need to watch.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
"Seems like its going to be the new way to watch TV."
The tech pundits I listen to are predicting that it won't be long before Chromecast is built-in to TVs, so you won't need the dongle any longer.
That said, unless you're a cord-cutter (who doesn't receive any TV signals from cable/satellite), it's not really going to replace anything. In fact, if you're a true cord-cutter, you may be disappointed. The HBO Go app only works if you're already an HBO subscriber. And, of course, Netflix and Hulu only work if you pay for those services too. (And these days, those two services are readily available on just about any device that connects to a TV, including TiVo and Blu-ray players, making Chromecast redundant.) And, so far, Roku and TiVo are the only devices I'm aware of that allow streaming of Amazon Instant Videos. (It's possible you could open them in a Chrome window and then "cast" them to your TV, but I'm not sure about the quality there.)
Bob

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
natibo:
I kind of like Roku too -- we have two of them -- although I find that there's a ton of junk there. I use it solely to watch Amazon Prime stuff. My strong preference is for Apple TV; more limited channel/app selections than Roku, for sure, but the interface and remote are much friendlier. Plus, it lets me listen to all of the music, view all the photos, and watch all of the movies that I have stored on my desktop machine upstairs -- on my HDTV in the TV room. (But I'm an admitted Apple fan, too, so take that into consideration. :) )
Bob

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Thanks Bob - appreciate the info a lot, good to know. I passed on the Apple TV (and I am an Apple fan) because I thought it wouldn't stream anything but subscription services (Hulu, YouTube) and videos/photos only from iOS 7 devices.
I want to be able to stream video content via a web browser to my TV and hoping this will do it.

natibo

Nov 10, 2013
Cincinnati, OH USA
Bob,
I understand. I'm just not an apple fan. All of my music is on Amazon and I can stream it from my Roku with the Amazon MP3 channel. I can also show all of my Picassa pics with that channel.
If I had all of my stuff on Apple (instead of Amazon) I would probably go to Apple TV as well.

lincolnsbark

Apr 11, 2013
Hi, yes I bought the Chrome Cast a few weeks ago and it is a really great dongle for only 30 bucks. The cast this tab function is really easy to use as long as you have pretty good wifi and a computer with a decent run speed. The netflix and youtube apps alone are extremely easy to use and worth the 30 dollars, but the cast this tab is an unbelievable feature. I do not believe Amazon Prime Instant Video is compatible at the moment however. Highly recommend this dongle.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
six:
"I thought it wouldn't stream anything but subscription services (Hulu, YouTube) and videos/photos only from iOS 7 devices."
The first point is wrong. Sort of. Apple TV doesn't have the proliferation of "channels" that you'll find on Roku, but there's a Smithsonian app which has some great programming, PBS, Major League Soccer, and a few others. But, yes, the majority of content tends to be from the Apple Store or HBO, Netflix, Hulu Plus, as well as fee-based sports programming through the NHL, NBA, and MLB apps.
Many apps these days support Apple's AirPlay standard, though. So you could AirPlay content from any Apple device. But you can also AirPlay from a computer. (I initially bought our Rokus so I could watch Amazon Prime videos on our TVs. Within two weeks of my purchase, Amazon's Instant Video app added AirPlay support!) Of course, this is an Apple format, so, yeah, you need Apple devices and Apple computers. But we're a 100% Apple household now (after about 27 years in the MS-DOS/Windows world), so I don't even think about that.
Bob

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Thanks Bob for the update. We have a SONY SRS that has Blu-ray and all of the internet channels: Netflix, Hulu, YouTube etc, but one thing I've lacked is the ability to watch other video content.
we're a 100% Apple household now
Us too. I've used both platforms for the past 30 years, and while I really liked Windows NT as a server back in the day, Macs continue to be my preferred platform.

Status
Not open for further replies.