python

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 8, 2009
Maryland
pipesmagazine.com
Has anyone had any good wines lately?
If so what were they?
I had some Black Swan Shiraz last week that was really nice. I think it was only $7.00 but it might have been $10.00. Either way, it was a good price.

python

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 8, 2009
Maryland
pipesmagazine.com
I had some 2007 Urban Riesling. It was very good and cost about $12.
4thjuly001.jpg

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
The last two nights in a row I have had Francis Ford Coppola Diamond Collection Ivory Label Cabernet Sauvignon 2006. This is a super good, silky smooth wine. It is so smooth and sweet, if you like Merlots, you will like this Cabernet Sauvignon.
francis-ford-coppola-diamond-collection-ivory-label-cabernet-sauvignon.jpg

Tasting Notes:

Color: Dark garnet

Aromas: Plums, currants, and vanilla

Flavors: Blackberry, plum, and rum raisin
Retail is: $30.
I found it at Publix (super market chain in Florida) 9 months ago for $12 and bought out the store's inventory of 2 cases. I have 4 bottles left.

python

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 8, 2009
Maryland
pipesmagazine.com
Kevin Said: The last two nights in a row I have had Francis Ford Coppola....
That sounds like a pretty good wine Kevin. My local liquor store had this brand of wine awhile back and I wasn't too sure about trying it. It was going for somewhere around $10-12 a bottle. I passed because I thought that it was a gimmick with the name and all. I will have to go back and check out if they have any more of it for the old price.

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
It's a steal at $10 - $12. Get it if you see it at that price.
One small caveat.
Of the three bottles I had in the last week, one of them was just a little flat. It lost some flavor for some reason.

python

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 8, 2009
Maryland
pipesmagazine.com
Kevin Said: Of the three bottles I had in the last week, one of them was just a little flat. It lost some flavor for some reason.
It sounds like it got oxidized. It could have been stored incorrectly at the store. Make sure that all of the wine that you own, that has a cork, is stored laying on its side. Otherwise, the cork could shrink a little and let in air causing the wine to oxidize.

bonanzadriver

Can't Leave
Nov 28, 2016
I recently finished my last bottle of Vision Cellars Pinot Noir.
If you're a Pinot Appreciator, you'll love this wine from Sonoma Valley.
Time to rustle up another case of this stuff. ;)

flakyjakey

Lifer
Aug 21, 2013
The missus and I drink mostly French wines, but last night we opened an outstanding cabernet sauvignon from the Napa Valley - Beringer Special Reserve (2004). Not cheap, but delicious with rib-eye steak, fries, fried mushrooms and tomatoes.

mikefu

Lifer
Mar 28, 2018
Green Bay
My wife and I are typically French red drinkers, and while we tend to explore the $25-$50 range mostly, I would posit that “Le Vieille Ferme” red is a super solid affordable French red. It’s available in bottles for $8-10ish, or a 3 liter box for $25.

Status
Not open for further replies.