Tags:  No tags yet. 

Any good ways to cure/curb PAD?

(53 posts)
  • Started 1 month ago by mtwaller
  • Latest reply from mtwaller
  1. mtwaller

mtwaller

Login to Send PM

I literally just bought a pipe maybe a week ago, and I told myself I was done for a while. I’ve been buying a pipe every other week lately, and I’ve not even built up cake in any of them yet. I’ve only smoked my last purchase maybe 5 times. Today, while browsing smokingpipes, I saw another Peterson that I couldn’t pass up. Without even thinking or looking at my bank account I just went for it. I seriously don’t need another pipe.. like I’m almost disgusted with my impulsiveness regarding buying pipes.

Has anyone afflicted such as I am managed to curb this reckless behavior? Maybe I should just stop going on pipe websites? Any mental tricks, meditative exercises, electroshock therapy success stories, etc. would be appreciated.

“There is no excellent beauty that hath not some strangeness in the proportion”.
    Posted 1 month ago #
  2. odobenus

odobenus

Login to Send PM

I am likewise afflicted, with no signs of recovery on the horizon. Sometimes the PAD will wane for a spell, only to wax again...

Non Serviam
    Posted 1 month ago #
  3. workman

workman

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Try focusing on the actual smoking of your pipes.

Smoking is one of the leading causes of all statistics.
    Posted 1 month ago #
  4. mtwaller

mtwaller

Login to Send PM

workman I do truly enjoy and dedicate all of my focus to the experience when I’m smoking my pipes, it’s not like they just sit around as trinkets. I guess I don’t get the opportunity to smoke more than about 4-5 bowls per week, though. I think maybe I should focus on trying to find more blends that I enjoy smoking. I have 12 or so jarred right now but I only love a few of them. Maybe TAD will be a cheaper route.

Posted 1 month ago #
  5. elasmo

elasmo

Login to Send PM

You could always use my solution - be broke and not be able to afford any more...

Posted 1 month ago #
  6. odobenus

odobenus

Login to Send PM

Sometimes it helps to put a pipe (or blend) in a cart (or watchlist as the case may be) and just let it sit for several days until the irrational sense of need dissipates. Or remind yourself, in a kind of mantra, how many pipes you've got, and how maybe you could afford a really nice one if you just held off for a few months.
    Rates of success may vary.

Posted 1 month ago #
  7. alexnc

alexnc

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I went through a period of hunting, refurbing and reselling on Ebay. It let me submerse in piping without acquiring new ones. I don’t think I kept a single one. And facing the challenges really taught me a lot. But after a year or so I started getting tired of investing the effort when most of the time people wouldn’t pay much for it. Never bought a huge estate lot, and that’s what I should have done. But it was a reasonably effective therapy for a long while. Now I just don’t consider anything unless it’s really something I don’t have or something that seems unique to me. But then again, I refrained for probably a year and then bought 3 over the last two months. So what do I know? I do one more thing though. I won’t allow myself to own more than X number of pipes, I’m under right now for reselling ones that I don’t like quite enough. If I really need 1 more than X, then I have to sacrifice one of my existing pipes. Overall that has served to continually upgrade the overall collection rather than accumulate a huge number.

Goo Goo g’joob
    Posted 1 month ago #
  8. mtwaller

mtwaller

Login to Send PM

Good suggestions, all. I have limited space for pipes, I told myself I won’t buy more than I can fit on top of my wall mounted cellar/rack thing. I do have 2 non Pete’s that I never smoke, I think it might be a good idea to try and offload those and I’ll feel like less of a glutton.

Posted 1 month ago #
  9. didimauw

didimauw

Mod

Login to Send PM

Yup, I'd rather have a few good smoking pipes, that I know the ups and downs of, than many different pipes, that I dont understand as well.

Lately I have been narrowing down my search for pipes, and plan on getting rid of 90% of them.

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."
    Posted 1 month ago #
  10. alexnc

alexnc

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Consider how many is really reasonable and why. To get an outside perspective I asked my wife. She threw me a higher number than I had in mind and said, “Do you really work so hard so you can’t have the things you really want? People collect all kinds of things. There’s nothing wrong with collecting pipes.”

Posted 1 month ago #
  11. odobenus

odobenus

Login to Send PM

^^^what your wife said

Posted 1 month ago #
  12. mtwaller

mtwaller

Login to Send PM

Also just to clarify, including the new purchase, if I get rid of the 2 I never smoke that’ll leave me with 8 pipes. Not exactly a hoard. Still, probably about the upper limit of what I need.

Posted 1 month ago #
  13. mtwaller

mtwaller

Login to Send PM

alexnc it’s good to have that kind of support! I’m lucky in that regard as well. My girlfriend thinks my pipes are cool to look at, so she’s not beating me up about it when I add one to the collection. Maybe that’s part of my problem... she’s an enabler!

Posted 1 month ago #
  14. alexnc

alexnc

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Mine said 30, and I don’t smoke but on the weekends plus an occasional early Monday morning. So 30 is the limit. I probably need 2. There’s not many things we really do logically rather than emotionally.

Posted 1 month ago #
  15. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

PAD is a merciless bitch and once she sinks her claws in you, it takes super hero strength to pull away from her.

Harris
    Posted 1 month ago #
  16. chasingembers

Embers

Captain Of The Black Frigate

Login to Send PM

After nearly thirty years I've finally lost interest. My Rubik's puzzle collecting has kicked back up again though. I may get a few more for my wife if she wants them, but after recently throwing out several pipes, my collection is where I want it to be.

Damnation seize my soul if I give you quarters, or take any from you.
    -Edward Teach
    Posted 1 month ago #
  17. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

Any good ways to cure/curb PAD?

Death, or dismemberment.

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt. - Mark Twain

It is pointless to argue with a fanatic since a dim bulb can't be converted into a searchlight. - Jesse Silver
    Posted 1 month ago #
  18. mtwaller

mtwaller

Login to Send PM

Embers I applaud you for banishing the fell beast back from whence if came. Also kudos on the Rubik’s cubes. I was just thinking today that I want to pick that back up. I enjoyed solving the standard 3x3 some years ago. Your comment makes me want to pick up a 4x4 and experience the immensely joyous frustration once more.

Posted 1 month ago #
  19. olkofri

Olkofri

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Find something else to focus on. I promised back in February that I wouldn't buy any pipes or tobacco till I had finished purchasing everything I need to begin a project I've been thinking about since January. All those wonderful pipes and wanna-try blends have been sitting in a whish list somewhere for the last 3 months.

Sux not being able to buy tobacco what with the gov't clamping down on it and the need to cellar, but I promised. If a man's word's no good, neither is he.

Not the sweet, new grass with flowers is this harvesting of mine;
    Not the upland clover bloom...
    Posted 1 month ago #
  20. mtwaller

mtwaller

Login to Send PM

Jesse wins. *Applauds approvingly*

Posted 1 month ago #
  21. mtwaller

mtwaller

Login to Send PM

Olkofri good point, I could do with saving some money instead of spending it all on pipes! What a concept.

Posted 1 month ago #
  22. warren

warren

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The tiniest bit of self-control might help.

A man without a shillelagh is a man without an expedient.
    Posted 1 month ago #
  23. User has not uploaded an avatar

calvinsomething

Login to Send PM

Think of something to save the money for...

Otherwise, I think enacting a change in your life or lifestyle, anywhere, helps enforce the idea that you are in control (makes you less impulsive).

If you can think of anything you've wanted to try to do different, maybe now is a good time.

Posted 1 month ago #
  24. mtwaller

mtwaller

Login to Send PM

Self control can often be in short supply for me, I suffer from intense episodes of bipolar mania. Pipes and pipe accessories happen to be my only real hobby that I spend money on at the moment. I feel slightly more grounded having fellow pipe smokers telling me to chill out and save some money, though. I appreciate all of you fine folks weighing in on this.

Posted 1 month ago #
  25. fishnbanjo

fishnbanjo

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Tobacco purchases, TAD, you’ll need some to smoke.
    banjo

Posted 1 month ago #
  26. mtwaller

mtwaller

Login to Send PM

banjo I’ve been turning my eye towards tobacco lately, and I see a LOT of G.L. Pease blends that look outstanding. Looking forward to enjoying some blends and getting to know the pipes that I have.

Posted 1 month ago #
  27. didimauw

didimauw

Mod

Login to Send PM

Embers....

Rubicks puzzle collection?

I'm intrigued...

Posted 1 month ago #
  28. chasingembers

Embers

Login to Send PM

I'll send you some pics when I get off work.

Posted 1 month ago #
  29. smittyd

smittyd

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

SUBMIT TO THE BEAST!

Brothers Of The Black Frigate
    Posted 1 month ago #
  30. alaskanpiper

alaskanpiper

Login to Send PM

Nope. I want them all.

"We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that death will tremble to take us." ---Hank

"Yeah, well, you know that's just like, uh, your opinion, man..." --- The Dude
    Posted 1 month ago #
  31. timt

timt

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

This is a terrible affliction that we all have. Only a few of us will claim to be immune. If you need some relief, I'd recommend just staying off the pipe seller sites for awhile. That of course will be tough, because I assume you're wisely going there to make your tobacco purchases while you still can. Good luck.

Tim
    Posted 1 month ago #
  32. anthony416

anthony416

Login to Send PM

Happened to me this week also mtwaller. I was browsing SP's web site and saw this wonderful pipe and nearly on auto pilot I had put it into the cart and paid for it!

A bit disappointed with myself for lack of control and further disappointment followed when I looked at my statistics page which showed the graph of my purchases at SP and the curve upwards has greatly accelerated this year

Although I am really looking forward to receiving my new pipe I think I need to stop browsing SP (I follow both the US and European sites and buy from both), ebay etc as the only way to stop anymore purchases. I used to try and justify new purchases by telling myself I would sell off some pipes but after selling a few and regretting that, selling in not an option either......

Posted 1 month ago #
  33. mtwaller

mtwaller

Login to Send PM

anthony416 I know exactly what you mean. I’m also guilty of browsing European sites and eBay a lot. From now on I’m going to try and stop myself, only looking at tobacco for the immediate future.

Posted 1 month ago #
  34. haparnold

Hap

Login to Send PM

I think the key for me is (a) never making fast purchases, and (b) keeping my eye on curating a small collection of great smokers instead of a large collection.

I own more pipes than I smoke, and I suspect that even if I had a collection in the triple digits, I'd still primarily smoke my 5-10 favorites. These days, I have several knock-around pipes and about ten 'good' pipes. I'd still like to buy a new pipe every day, but when I take a step back and think about it, I realize how silly it is.

Smokingpipes' wishlist is a fantastic tool to curb PAD. If you see something, pop it in there, and wait a week. If somebody else buys it, it wasn't meant to be. If it's still there after a week, assess again whether you still want it more than you want anything else you could have bought with your money.

De Gustibus Non Est Disputandum
    Posted 1 month ago #
  35. npod

npod

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

In AA they talk about "reaching rock bottom".

In regard to PAD, I talk about "reaching Boat".

- Yep Boat -

Why? If you look at your pipes one day and realize that you could have bought a boat with the money spent, then you will know there is a problem.

Neal
    Posted 1 month ago #
  36. mikethompson

mikethompson

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Today, while browsing smokingpipes

the only way to beat PAD is to stop looking.

Posted 1 month ago #
  37. scloyd

scloyd

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Embers....

Rubicks puzzle collection?

I'm intrigued...

I'll send you some pics when I get off work.

Post for all to see...please.

Posted 1 month ago #
  38. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

But a plastic 12 foot sailboat doesn't seem like much to give up for my purchases of pipes and tobacco.

I know that you believe you understood what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
    Posted 1 month ago #
  39. User has not uploaded an avatar

foursidedtriangle

Login to Send PM

It is a question of discipline but we wont get into that here. Just figure out how much you want to save each week then prioritise your spending. Sooner or later you will reach a point where buying a new pipe will not even be a consideration.

Posted 1 month ago #
  40. bnichols23

Bill Nichols

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

could have bought a boat with the money spent, then you will know there is a problem.

As long as it's a really big boat.

B

Head Black Frigate keelhauler, boss powder monkey, & troublemaker 1st class.
    Posted 1 month ago #
  41. bnichols23

Bill Nichols

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

plastic 12 foot sailboat doesn't seem like much to give up ,

I was thinking more Walmart kayak....

Posted 1 month ago #
  42. weezell

weezell

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Death, or dismemberment.
    No, only death...

"the weez"...
    Posted 1 month ago #
  43. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

In my situation, with scores of pipes, and only smoking one or two bowls a day, with days off, I find it helps, when smitten, to review the pipes I have that already fill the niche of the coveted pipe. Also mere storage and rack space. Also, the way well-smoked pipes I already have smoke better, because they are broken in and because i have learned to smoke them. And many pipes are gift pipes that have the added pleasure of that association. I'm currently resisting a great sale on pipes, and particular pipes that catch my eye. Sometimes when I pick out a pipe off my rack, I realize I haven't smoked it in weeks or months. All this helps. I have had to skip pipe shows and other pipe shopping opportunities. Pipes are a wonderful experience to purchase or receive as gifts, but mere accumulation itself isn't a joy. So I try to "shop at home" in my own pipe shop. When does an enjoyable hobby become a bad habit, I ask myself.

Posted 1 month ago #
  44. mtwaller

mtwaller

Login to Send PM

Wise words! I’m going to focus more on loving the pipes I have and finding a few desert island tobaccos to cellar rather than buying up pipes.

Posted 1 month ago #
  45. npod

npod

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Wise words! I’m going to focus more on loving the pipes I have and finding a few desert island tobaccos to cellar rather than buying up pipes.

Good luck!

Posted 1 month ago #
  46. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

If you have a good line of resistances, if or when you cave, it should be for a really good reason.

Posted 1 month ago #
  47. chasingembers

Embers

Login to Send PM

Just picked up three gear puzzles from Calvin's. My PAD has been officially replaced by PAD.

Posted 1 month ago #
  48. irishearl

irishearl

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'm where Embers is at. After similarly buying pipes for decades, I have essentially all the pipes I want, which is fortunate given limited finances. For most of us, if you buy pipes over a lengthy period of time, PAD diminishes greatly to the point of near extinction.

Posted 1 month ago #
  49. bnichols23

Bill Nichols

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Tom is way too logical, & he's making me feel a little guilty. *Just* a little, though. Not enough to make me stop drooling over some 2018 Sav St. Nicholases. And yes,I admit it, in front of God, the bishop, & everybody:

I'm bidding on a 2017 blasted Christmas...

Peterson, that pipestud has up.

Yeah, you read right. Peterson. Me. Seriously.

Bill

Posted 1 month ago #
  50. chasingembers

Embers

Login to Send PM

I like the contrast of the white stem on those.

Posted 1 month ago #
  51. bnichols23

Bill Nichols

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Definitely a good look, yeah. I think Petes have just not been distinctive enough to grab me. This one, yeah, I can work with that. It it's special, I like *special*.

B

Posted 1 month ago #
  52. cortezattic

Cortez

A part of the problem since he ...

Login to Send PM

Don't feel guilty about being good to yourself. One more pipe never hurts.

I find myself sitting idly on the line dividing past and future,
    as if I could kill time without injuring eternity. -- Thoreau
    Posted 1 month ago #
  53. mtwaller

mtwaller

Login to Send PM

Haha Embers I see what you did there with the PAD.. clever! Those Christmas 2017 pipes look nice, I’m oddly fond of the 2018’s as well. Something about the brass band with the sandblasted finish is so warm and inviting.

Posted 1 month ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   kenbarnes, danish, jaytex969, lukasstrifeson, jiminks, alaskanpiper