Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tamer291

Can't Leave
Jun 26, 2013
Hello All. I am a new member and was hoping to tap into the expertise of the group. I have been pipe smoking for about a year. I have found myself really enjoying it lately. Nothing is more relaxing to me then pipe smoking.

Anyway, Being new to this hobby I've only been able to buy a few different tobaccos. I was hoping for recommendations for sampler packs. There are a lot of online tobacco shops. Most seem to charge an arm and a leg for shipping on just a simple sampler pack. Not sure which shop to trust.

Any thoughts? Like most newbies, I enjoy aromatics. But would like to expand my option. I was hoping for some good aromatics, tasty, and without the tongue bite.

Thanks for the help.

lestrout

Lifer
Jan 28, 2010
Chester County, PA
tamer - welcome to our fine hobby. There are some excellent samplers out there, and with these you can select what appeals to you. With Chief Catoonah and Cornell & Diehl, calling them and discussing your preferences can go far to steer you to some winners. P&C has Hearth & Home, and Park Lane has several preselected samplers.
hp

les

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
Les' advice is very good. I'm a huge fan of Cornell & Diehl blends. They have over 250 blends so there is bound to be something that strikes your fancy. There's a link below for reviews of their blends.

Good luck with your search and welcome to the forum.
http://tobaccoreviews.com/brand_detail.cfm?ALPHA=C&BID=15

zekest

Lifer
Apr 1, 2013
4noggins.com has fantastic sampler packs.
When I order a fair amount of stuff, 4noggins adds a sample of something in the box that is always very good.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
4noggins just added John Patton sampler packs, I just find the sampler packs too expensive, like 20$ for 5 ounces when i can get a pound for 35$

My choice for samplers would be Hearth & Home from P&C ($33 for your choice of six 1.5 oz. tins): http://pipesandcigars.com/heandhosa.html#.UcuWm_nOkxE. You can call P&C and they will help you choose.

I would go with this deal though, that's an amazing price for 6 tins.

tacoman

Lurker
May 16, 2011
Carole at Pipeworks and Wilke (vtpipes.com) offers a sampler of their wonderful tobaccos. They have some great aromatics as well as terrific latakia blends.

homeatsea

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 6, 2013
Just For Him offers a "Middle Earth Pipeweed" Sampler. It's quite cheap but the amounts of each tobacco are pretty small. They're all good tobaccos in my opinion and offer a decent variety of tobacco leaf with a slight aromatic element in each.
Here's the link:
http://justforhim.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2_298_62&products_id=1800&zenid=cedba6943647f8f1578d6d5be0223030

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Just For Him offers a "Middle Earth Pipeweed" Sampler.
Thanks for the tip, the company has the right kind of name and good prices on some stuff. Limited selection though.

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
Seconding Roth's recommendation for the Hearth & Home sampler - I'm still working my way through the six blends I bought back in January, at which point I'll either pony up for another six or check out the 4Noggins offerings...

murf

Can't Leave
Mar 1, 2013
i would avoid the just for him sampler. quarter oz each of 5 tobaccos for $10? so $10 for 1.25 oz of tobacco. I got 2oz of each from there instead.
pipesandcigars.com has some good samplers

krgulick

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
I would also suggest the C&D or Middle Earth samplers. Many of the advertisers here have sampler packages of one sort or another. It may take a little work to find what may strike your fancy, but in the end it is well worth it to find the ones that you simply must have. This will, unfortunately, lead to what is called TAD. It is a condition that once you have is quite incurable, but quite enjoyable.

murf

Can't Leave
Mar 1, 2013
Tobacco Acquisition Disorder. It's incurable, there are just so many tobaccos out there, that you want to try them all. It will leave wives or girlfriends rolling their eyes at you, asking "don't you have enough already?" when we just say that "you can never have enough!" (either to ourselves or out loud.
No matter how much you have, you always want more. I've kept my TAD at bay for the moment, I've been on extended vacation for about 3 weeks now (visiting family). Haven't spent much time online, browsing different deals. It's helped.

tamer291

Can't Leave
Jun 26, 2013
Ok, So here it is. I called over at P&C and got the Hearth & Homes Sampler.
Old Tartan

Marble Kake

Anniversary Kake

Manor Heights

Larrys Blend

Frenchys Sunzabitches
Cant wait to get them. Will try 4Noggins next.
Thanks again for everyones help.

cavendish36

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 26, 2013
I have a couple friends who both have different tastes in tobacco blends than I, so whenever we pick up a new blend, we exchange an ounce or two with each other. I've discovered some really great blends this way, stuff I probably wouldn't have tried on my own if I was picking them out from a list.

Status
Not open for further replies.