PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tschiraldi

Lifer
Dec 14, 2015
Ohio
Okay, since returning to pipe smoking a little over a year ago, all I hear about English pipes is that they're "not what they used to be". The consensus is that Dunhill, Comoy's, Charatan, Barling, GBD, BBB, Upshall, etc. have all "fallen off" (or don't exist anymore). Are there ANY good English pipes left? The Italians have really stepped up, but many of them are either very large and the shapes, while beautiful, are not quite the classic English shapes that I love. For this reason, I've been focusing on vintage English estates and commissioning pipes in the shape I like. Is there any hope for current English makers?

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
You could do a lot worse than buying a London made Parker pipe. Take a look at my recent post on the 'Brit Pipe' forum to see my latest acquisition.
http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/parker-still-making-great-pipes-in-2016
Regards,
Jay.

drennan

Can't Leave
Mar 30, 2014
Normandy
We've got Blakemar briars and Invicta briars making pipes from $50 to around $90, both offer far better value for money than the bigger brands.
Then there's Northern Briars a more handmade brand than the first two but still offering fantastic value for money in the $100 to $180 price range.
And probably the best british carver is Chris Askwith, he had a hand finished range around the $100 mark and his handmades start around $300. His handfinished pipes are fantastic value for money.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
I just got these 2 Blakemars and can vouch for their value. Nice pipes.
mN83J6U.jpg

Larrysson Pipes by Paul Hubarrt in Cornwall are excellent hand made pipes. I got this one last winter. Paul has had some health issues so his output has been spotty but if you see one, grab it.
ib8KAi0.jpg

ericusrex

Lifer
Feb 27, 2015
Those brands you mention are still good pipes, just not worth some of the asking prices.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Britannias are excellent. There are several unsmoked estate Britannias at smokingpipes.com, and new ones at other sites. I've had one for five or six years, and it's good.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I also very much like my Parker. My Ferndown from a Forums member is a jewel, but Les has retired and the prices are going higher. I have recently bought a Ben Wade which seems well made and is an excellent clencher, still breaking in.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Boatloads!
The two Parker below were bought a year ago, (new) and are fine smokers. The one on the right came out of a basket at a high end London pipe shop, for about $35.The Hungarian was found in an Edinburgh shop for about the same price.
IhGTcYd.jpg

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
jpm', love your Parkers. So simple yet so dignified. The prices so restrained and worth it. Handsome pipes.

numbernine

Lurker
Dec 26, 2016
I have a Royal London Zulu who makes it i dont know, it says made in England. Its a great smoking pipe with nice grain in it. Maybe we put too much importance in who makes it not how it smokes me thinks.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
I have a Barling bulldog that was produced in the last five years or so, and there is nothing about its smoking qualities I could fault in any way. IMHO, well worth the price I paid for it.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Dunhill, nee the "White Spot" as they are now stamped is still going strong if you are looking for a name and by my experience, a very well made pipe. (site sponsor "Al Pascia" is the go-to for new Dunhills).

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Not many regrets in the pipe department, but I do regret not buying one of the Iwan Ries offered Hardcastle pipes that was on their web site for years, until about four years ago, modest pipes with smooth finishes and brass-colored bands, for $40. I bet they were fine little smokers at such a moderate price. I especially fancied the Dublin, but it's water over the dam.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Wow John, I love that there Oom Paul.
You picked up a bargain with that one my friend :puffy:
Regards,
Jay.
Thanks, Jay; I reckon I did get good buys on both.
But "Oom Paul"?? From a dyed in the wool Brit? That joker is generally loathed in the U.K., no? He was a racist and a wanker. Hungarian it is! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.