Any good baccy recommendations topped with 'peated-scotch'?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

12 Fresh Ser Jacopo Pipes
12 Fresh Moonshine Pipes
2 Fresh Former Pipes
36 Fresh Tsuge Pipes
2 Fresh Chris Asteriou Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

biggles

Lurker
Sep 25, 2015
Atlanta
Looking for something unique and special...something that was topped with a scotch flavor from Isaly (think Laphroig, Ardbeg, etc)...I see lots of scotch type aromatics out there, but nothing that has a nice peat warmth to it. But I also understand that any good latika is very similar to this approach from a 'smoke' perspective.
20090728-peat-smoke-pagoda.jpg

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
To be perfectly honest, I'd find it hard to justify using fine single-malt as a topping for pipe tobacco. Best serve it in a glass on the side with a little bit of water (also on the side) and use one of the lesser (but still tasty) blended whiskies as a tobacco topping... :D
Just my opinion, mind you. But I'm a terrible snob about my single malts...

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
Buy a pound of Peter Stokkebye Luxury Twist Flake.

Build a 6" x 2" press box using oak and C-clamps.

Drizzle some Laphroaig on the tobacco.

Press and age for three or four months in a warm, dry spot.

Get back to us and let us know how it turns out.

echie

Can't Leave
Jul 7, 2014
Amsterdam
I respectfully disagree with phred. Of course, I would never mix good whisky with energy drinks or soft drinks or whatever (nor, for that matter, would I use bad whisky for these concoctions; yuk).
But I'm all in favour of using top ingredients on recipes that deserve it, if you can afford them. I had this discussion with a bartender, the other day, who used a special edition Laphroig to mix me a "Blood and Sand". The drink was so delicious, the peat worked so well in it, that I could never have blamed him for not using some lesser whisky.
So I would definitely like to see good pipe tobacco topped with good scotch whisky (just as I like to use good wine when cooking).
Having said all that, no, I don't know of any. Let us know if you find one :)

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
How about a peaty Scotch in a glass, AND a peaty tobacco in the pipe?
Lagavulin 16 paired with LJ Peretti Oriental #40 for the win.
-- Pat

tarheel1

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 16, 2014
Doubt it is peated much, but you can try bothy flake. It has scotch in it.

michaelmirza

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 21, 2015
Chicago, IL
Tewksbury & Co, the makers of the legendary Hobbit's Weed, make another blend called Single Malt. They describe it as:
Toasy and peaty. A subtle hint of the "water of life" from the Scottish highlands is blended with this cool smoking loose cut Cavendish. This is the best whiskey blend we have ever offered and is perfect with that "wee dram" before or after a good meal.
Pick it up if you ever pass through Denver, or just order a few ounces and support a great independent tobacco blender.

backwoodsjack

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 25, 2015
Central Minnesota
I don't know, this gets my vote;
Celtic Blend
Created by a friend in Edinburgh, this blend fills the mouth with a light taste of peat, charred whiskey cask reminiscent of the Scottish Highlands. Lemon Virginia with compliments of Latakia, Syrian and Turkish tobaccos.
I think I'll order some to sample.

budrichard

Lurker
Jul 9, 2015
'Soft Scotch' by GQ Tobacco's.

From the website:

"Too many whisky is a sharp, fiery experience and so it to is Latakia. Many Latakia smokers enjoy a wee dram when they are supping away this smoky Oriental. So for this latest addition to the Aromatic Latakia series, we had to combine the two; in a light and mellow setting. We won’t lie, it has taken us countless months and dozens of reblends, but finally we got the balance it needed.
What starts out as a classic Danish style base of Black Cavendish with a sprinkling of sweetened Virginia. A sticky casing of Vanilla is applied to this base, giving a mellow and velvety smooth foundation. Latakia is then blended for its cool and creamy nature and topped with Scotch. The tobacco has the Whisky applied every 2 days for a period of 2 weeks, soaking into all of the tobaccos. Before being air dried to the desired moisture content.
The resulting tobacco has rich, sweet & smoky aroma from the pouch, which carries through into not only the smoke, but also the room note. Thanks to the use of Black Cavendish and Latakia the smoke is thick, creamy and easy to smoke. The tobacco is mild, with all 3 flavours balanced throughout the smoke."
I can attest that the smoke is smooth, not too mild and the Scotch is your perception.

Email Glynn for how to order from the USA.

Well worth the time and effort as are all his blends.

Best in the business!-Richard

biggles

Lurker
Sep 25, 2015
Atlanta
Many thanks for the great feedback...and thank you for a couple of you who PM'd me on the side. Also, I have had Celtic Blend on my radar for sometime now....may be time to pull trigger.

Status
Not open for further replies.