PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

carytobacco

Can't Leave
Nov 23, 2012
Cary, NC
Any golfers here? If so, where do you live and what are some good local courses near you?
What are some of the good courses you've played elsewhere?
Do you smoke a pipe on the course?

seagullplayer

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 30, 2014
Indiana
I play some golf, I bought a new set of clubs last year.
Still working on consistently breaking 100, so I need a lot more time on the course...
I did bring a pipe once last year.

carytobacco

Can't Leave
Nov 23, 2012
Cary, NC
I rarely even smoke cigars on the course anymore. I also try to walk instead of taking a cart so that would make it hard to carry a pipe around.
This won't help you break 100 but still some good advice:

http://www.golfdigest.com/golf-instruction/2014-09/36-most-common-mistakes-in-golf

derfargin

Lifer
Mar 3, 2014
Kennesaw, GA
I have the addiction. I also take a few pipes on the course. Usually cobs, but on occasion briars. Seems like these days, rounds are getting up towards 5 1/2 hours, so what better time to sit back with a pipe in between holes.
I'd like to play more, but since I moved to GA, I'm finding public courses less mainstream. I really have to go out of my way to find one that's not private.

cfreud

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 1, 2014
Yes, serious, but poor golfer. I usually smoke cigars on the golf course as I don't have many pipes that I wouldn't worry about dropping, leaving in the cart, etc. When I vacation in Myrtle Beach, the pipes come out after the round.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I've played up and down the west coast, Hawaii and, of course, Alaska. I smoke cigarettes when I golf. In answer to your question, I've never been on any course that was less than good. Even with bad weather and a bad game, I've never been on a course that was not, at worst, good. Some better than others, but all were good, and all were interesting.
I envy pro golfers, they have the best office in the world. Well, except for wild-life photographers.

carytobacco

Can't Leave
Nov 23, 2012
Cary, NC
@trailboss What bad luck!
We have golfers of all abilities in our group, from 5 handicaps to guys that have never broken 100. We don't care about one's ability, only that they stay "in the game" and keep pace of play up. I know the kind of guys you are talking about. Even the ones that are actually pretty good aren't as good as they think they are.

derfargin

Lifer
Mar 3, 2014
Kennesaw, GA
I used to deliver to the Lodge at Pebble Beach, Spyglass, Spanish Bay, etc...One year at the At&T (formerly Crosby Clambake) a dairy company had dropped their trailer in an area where the camera might pick it up, since they were not a sponsor, the food and beverage manager begged me to move it with my tractor. After doing so, I had a round of golf for four people, night stay at the lodge, and dinner and drinks on the house. Six months later when my schedule freed up and I was going to act on the deal, I was notified that the Manager David, had moved on to a new job, and pursuing he promise would probably come up empty.
Yeah..that sucks.
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :cry:

derfargin

Lifer
Mar 3, 2014
Kennesaw, GA
For my 30th birthday 10 years ago. I took myself to Scotland and spent 2 weeks going from Edinburgh up the East coast and into the Highlands and finally ended in Inverness. Each day was golf during the day and drinking my ass off. Played at St. Andrews (ironically was paired with a father/son from Chicago) had a great time. Touring scotch distilleries, playing golf. St. Andrews was the only major course I played. So many courses there that are just pay a fee and play. No pompus people or people thinking they're bigger than the game.
I've yet to have a vacation that came close to as awesome as that was. I was by myself, and met tons of awesome people.

carytobacco

Can't Leave
Nov 23, 2012
Cary, NC
@derfargin
Sounds like a great trip. I also went by myself just shy of my 30th birthday. Had a lot of buddies that were interested in going but none could/would pull the trigger, so I said f-it and went on my own. As it turns out I'm glad I did. Played 6 rounds in 4 days. Spent 3 days in St. Andrews area, played the New Course, Eden, Jubilee at St. Andrews, then played Carnoustie. Last full day went over and played the two courses at Troon.
I'm glad I played a couple of the big name courses but next time I will do more like your trip and play the hidden gems. What I like about the courses there is that they are all about golf. Very community-based, community-minded facilities. They aren't trying to squeeze every penny out of the place. It's more of a leisure activity and different types of play exist (9 hole par-3s, courses the family can play, etc). I wish we had more of that in the US.

Status
Not open for further replies.