PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ravenwolf

Can't Leave
Mar 18, 2014
I'm curious to know if we have any members living in Alaska?
There is a full time job opening in Anchorage that I have been thinking of applying to (medical radiographic technologist.) If anyone can provide some background info on what living in Alaska is like, I'd love to hear it. I'm from northern Illinois myself.
Seems beautiful there. I've read a bit about long winters, but the summers mostly making up for them - particularly if you are of an adventurous/outdoors sort of person, which I am.
Curious about cost of living, and how tobacco friendly the folks are ;) And anything else someone might feel like mentioning.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I reside in Anchorage.
The winters are a month too long on either end, but they reasonably moderate due to the mountains and the Japanese Current. Temperatures only rarely drop below zero for any length of time. The summer days can be long, but you still needed to sleep, so the extra hours of daylight aren't that big a deal.
I live in the mountains above Anchorage and have the usual neighbors, moose, bear (black and grizzly), lynx, wolverine, coyotes, rabbits, etc.
Anchorage has a higher cost of living than most of the US. You can review the numbers on the internet. Shipping costs are the main reasons for the disparity. The biggest change most newcomers gripe about, besides the cost of living, is the feeling of isolation. Anchorage is almost 3 hours, by air, away from America.
If I were in your position, I'd make a visit or two and check out the territory and the job site. Interview prospective co-workers and do a bit of sight seeing.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
"Anchorage is almost 3 hours, by air, away from America."
Last time i checked, Alaska was still part of the United States. . . :)
Bob

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
PPS
The last tobacco store that catered to pipe smokers closed years ago. There is a combination head-shop/tobacconist that used to specialize in used (read: beat up) pipes. Safeway has a tobacco outlet that sells Sir Walter and the like. Another tobacco outlet sells the usual pouch tobaccos, MMs, and the like.
The closest brick and mortar is probably Iwan Ries in Chicago. Maybe Edmonton, I'll check that out next week.
Smoking pretty much outlawed in public venues, stores, cafes, bars, etc.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
I lunched out the northern Illinois reference. Your winters are going to be about the same as ours in Anchorage. You probably have more wind and it is usually colder where you are, with more snow now and then. The Anchorage area is not as snow machine friendly as where you are. There is great snow machining within 50 miles or so. I'm not a snow machiner myself but, am really impressed with the UP, Illinois, Wisconsin solutions.
Great cross country skiing within the city limits and a world class alpine hill 40 miles away.
More as I cogitate on the subject.

ravenwolf

Can't Leave
Mar 18, 2014
Warren, thank you for taking the time to type up some information! I kind of doubted anyone would answer, so I really appreciate it.
Living where I do (Machesney Park, IL), it's mostly corn fields and such, and it's *always* flat... I have succeeded almost every year in at least visiting some place in the country with mountains for camping. I'm a fan :D
I've visited Iwan Ries several times, and used to commute to work in Chicago. I can't handle the sheer population density of Chicago though - I could never live there. If you ever get the chance, I highly recommend Iwan Ries :mrgreen: The first time I walked in there, about 4 hours elapsed in what felt like 10 minutes... sooo many pipes. I think a couple thousand.
Tobacconist-wise, it doesn't sound that different than here. We do have one Tinderbox, but I don't visit it more than maybe once or twice a year, at that. I do like Lane 1Q ("Wilshire" blend there), but it's fairly expensive with the taxes. I prefer the online tobacconist shops. Have you ever had a lot of trouble getting tobacco shipped to you, if you use the online shops?
Illinois passed the smoking ban a few years ago, so I never got to smoke my pipe indoors (like a bar or cafe.) Guess I can't miss what I never experienced to begin with.
Anchorage sounds like a happy combination of a place with the conveniences of a city without a crazy high population density, and nature near by. Sounds pretty appealing to me. The places I have visited in Montana that are more rural were just fine by me, provided there was a grocery store somewhere :wink: I'm interested in homesteading type activities (major food garden, blacksmithing, etc), but I have no idea if I would be able to pursue those hobbies if I move away from my house and into a renter's situation.
I was just checking out Trails of Anchorage. I like to go for walks/hiking/bicycling a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.