PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

smeigs

Lifer
Jun 26, 2012
Hey guys just thought I would ask around on the forums and see if anyone else is into fly fishing? Ive been fly fishing for about 10 years now and was just wondering if anyone else enjoys a pipe out on the river while catching some fish! Ill post some pics here in a bit of my last trip a few weeks ago.. Happy saturday everyone.... Smeigs

saint007

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 22, 2013
I fish in the bays off southern Louisiana for Speckled Trout, Redfish and Flounder a couple of times a month, year round. I'll catch an occasional Pompano along with Croaker and Drum. However, I've never tried fly fishing though I do catch fish on top water with one of my rods rigged with Shimano 2500 Spinning reels.
I do have several pipes that I consider to be my fishing pipes. My favorite for fishing is a Stanwell sandblasted Army bent egg.

philobeddoe

Lifer
Oct 31, 2011
East Indiana
I love fly fishing and I love pipe smoking, just not together. When I'm on a river or a stream I get into a sort of Zen or one with the river. I know this sounds corny, but I have tried to smoke a pipe and I keep dropping them or they just go out. I give my full concentration to the rod and the line. I get wrapped up listening to the water and the insects and forget to puff. I wish I had the ability to enjoy both simultaneously but I'm not there yet.
P.S. I know Fishnbanjo is a big split cane fisherman, what I would give to see his rods. Wait, that came out wrong, but you know what I mean.

jon39

Might Stick Around
Dec 16, 2013
I Fly Fished in Alaska a lot when I was stationed up there in the Army and when I go home to Pennsylvania. I don't go near as much as I like too.

captvoodoo

Lurker
Jun 17, 2013
I am a lifelong fly fisherman. I had the privilege of growing up in Montana's blue ribbon trout streams and get back to enjoy a few times a year now. Much like philobeddoe I get too into the zen of the fishing to enjoy my pipe. That being said, the pipe is always handy for a break to reflect on how best to outwhit the next trout.

escioe

Oct 31, 2013
I like it but am terrible at it. Smoking and fly fishing don't go together for me, either. But I do like firing one up after fishing.
Now birdhunting and smoking ... that I can do together.
1381847_10100198376473780_1925443667_n.jpg

sfsteves

Lifer
Aug 3, 2013
SF Bay Area
I grew up in the Rockies, the son and grandson of fly fishermen ... it's the only form of fishing I've ever done, though in all honesty, living where I have since reaching adulthood, I don't get out on lake or stream very often.

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
I've spent my entire life fly fishing- first fresh water in Tennessee, and now salt water in Florida...My most unusual catch was in Florida fishing in a subdivision lake. Caught a 5' gator on a bass popping bug. Middle of the afternoon, and truth be told, I had a couple of beers. The worse part is I was using my 12 weight Orvis with a $100 fly line. I wasn't about to get within 10' of the gator to cut my leader, and I definitely wasn't cutting my $100 fly line...so we had a standoff for about a minute until he finally spit the hook...Haven't tried that one since...

lestrout

Lifer
Jan 28, 2010
Chester County, PA
I'm with philo too. But I like to puff on the ride to and from the water, and also while resting the water and pondering my next tactic. Doesn't my screename offer a clue?
hp and tl

les

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
I used to fish quite a lot, well… whenever I got the chance and a vacation (I live in Chicago) so that’s not what would be considered the best location. Please, don’t even get me started with the so called ‘fishermen’ trolling on Lake Michigan for Coho Salmon with their chartered boats and out-riggers while sitting on a deck chair and swilling beer. I know, as I tried it and considered it all as an enjoyable joke whilst getting quite drunk.
I was one of those pathetical and misguided poor souls who chased after the elusive Musky in the Wisconsin Flowage year, after year, after year. But, be that as it may and I haven’t done so for about 36 years, albeit I’ve occasionally done some fishing since then, but regretfully I’ve never tried fly fishing. Anyway, I’m relatively new to pipe smoking after not dabbling about with it for about 35 years or so, but I personally cannot imagine trying to fish and smoke a pipe at the same time. Both need a good deal of attention (obviously, more so the fishing). I’ve smoked a pipe while in the boat, but once the line was in the water my mind went to the task at hand and trying to keep a pipe lit and enjoy it was the furthest thing from my mind. That, and aside from the fact, can you imagine what could possibly happen with that expensive broken in pipe when things get exciting! ;)

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
Living in East Tennessee, it's only natural to do a little fly fishing from time to time! Most of mine is done on the Hiwassee, Ocoee, and Telico rivers and their tributaries. But I've also fished the Obey river as well as the Little Pigeon river. I also like to fish for bass and panfish in lakes and ponds. Though the majority of my fishing is done with baitcasting and spinning rods, it's nice to do a little fly fishing every now and then. I prefer 4-5wt. rods, floating line, and no more than 2 1/2lb. tippet.
@Zack and Cosmic. What part of Tennessee are you guys talking about? I'm in Cleveland, which is just outside Chattanooga. I'm only about 20min. From several major rivers, surrounded by them actually! Lol! Lakes too!

terry

Oct 7, 2011
Yeah,,,my favorite type of fishing. I get to fish the White River, Norfork and the Little Red in Arkansas.

buster

Lifer
Sep 1, 2011
I am new to fly casting. I have been kind of crazy for bass fishing for years. Last year I decided to learn how to cast fly tackle to chase large mouth and striped bass. I smoke at the launch ramp and on breaks. When it's time to fish, that's all I focus on.

flyw8t

Lurker
Dec 11, 2012
I pack my pipe and a few cold ones in the cooler in the event of a momentous catch...any fly as long as it'a a clouser...any color as long as it's chartreuse...Florida fishing at its finest. Hard to describe the satisfaction of a catch and release Red, Snook or Tarpon, followed by a quick pic and then a relaxing bowl and brew in the Florida sun...doesn't get much better!

reap

Might Stick Around
Feb 7, 2013
Although my casting leaves something to be desired I enjoy fly fishing and tying my own flies. Already planning some 2014 fishing trips...

Status
Not open for further replies.