Tags:  No tags yet. 

Any female pipe smokers out there?

(67 posts)
  • Started 8 years ago by titanicexplorer
  • Latest reply from davidintexas
  1. titanicexplorer

titanicexplorer

Login to Send PM

As an increasing number of women have taken to cigar smoking in recent years- i'm curious if there are many women who smoke pipes. i'll be honest- i have never seen a woman in person smoke a pipe. I assume there must be female pipe smokers out there.
    Perhaps it's a regional thing, all the pipe smokers I have seen in New England were men.

Posted 8 years ago #
  2. unclearthur

unclearthur

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

We have several ladies that poop in off and on.

If at first you don't succeed you are running about average.
    Posted 8 years ago #
  3. romeowood

romeowood

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

We have several ladies that poop in off and on.

Umm...they do what?!?

We do, actually, but I've not seen any of them posting in a while...as Jerry Lewis was fond of saying, HAY LADIEEEEEEES! Pipe Up!

Posted 8 years ago #
  4. unclearthur

unclearthur

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

LOL!! Just goes ta show ya I shouldn't post after taking my pain pills!

Posted 8 years ago #
  5. pstlpkr

Lawrence

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

As a matter of fact Thepipetart joined our ranks this very evening.
    We're glad to have you aboard.

"Ending a sentence with a preposition is something up with which I will not put." Winston Churchill
    View Lawrence  Whitcomb's profile on LinkedIn
    Posted 8 years ago #
  6. romeowood

romeowood

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Welcome aboard! I met madame Tart at the NY pipe show, lovely lady and wonderful pipes!

Posted 8 years ago #
  7. wolfscout

wolfscout

Login to Send PM

My wife smokes a pipe. there's a few pictures of her doing so on my FB.
    It's nice to share a puff-session with her and talk about the day.

Posted 8 years ago #
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

lagavulin92

Login to Send PM

I think there is a cultural and misogynist reason to the small presence of public female pipe smokers. With the dramatically diminishing number of pipe smokers, the pipe smoker has become the symbol of faith in the old ways, loyalty to principle, and undisputable wisdom. It is contrasting to the patriarchal picture of the woman as weak-willed, capricious, and "less faithful". While cigar smoking women are tolerated because it reflects the search for honor and respect, as some sociologists say, and therefore fits the picture of the modern, emancipated woman, pipe smoking is an absolute no-no for women because in defies unconsciously accepted conventions.

Nonetheless, there is a young and virtuous college girl (actually, she's older than me) who has a pipe vlog on Youtube. Her channel is LinksGirlFriend and she's studying somewhere in Ohio. I think it's worth a look!

Posted 8 years ago #
  9. marmal4de

marmal4de

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

My wifey occasionally smokes a pipe with me.

In a society that has destroyed all adventure, the only adventure left is to destroy that society.
    {o,o}
    |)__)
    Posted 8 years ago #
  10. pipetrucker

pipetrucker

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have only personally met two female pipe smokers so far, but do know they are out there.

Mason

And though it is much to be a nobleman, it is more to be a gentleman. - Anthony Trollope
    Posted 8 years ago #
  11. User has not uploaded an avatar

teamhavoc28

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I think the guys on this forum should befriend every female smoker that registers to make certain they feel welcome. Too often, it can feel like a boys club in piping and it would be nice if we kept cheering them on. What do others feel like?

Posted 8 years ago #
  12. hobie1dog

hobie1dog

Penzaholic

Login to Send PM

It's tough to keep them posting on here for some reason.

" I'm talking about the kind of sound you can feel. When it comes to great stereo you can't beat big speakers, I'm talking about big speakers with big woofers."
    Posted 8 years ago #
  13. pipetrucker

pipetrucker

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I think the guys on this forum should befriend every female smoker that registers to make certain they feel welcome. Too often, it can feel like a boys club in piping and it would be nice if we kept cheering them on. What do others feel like?

I agree. Perhaps we should go out of our way to make them feel welcome.

Posted 8 years ago #
  14. wolfscout

wolfscout

Login to Send PM

some of the threads and topics could be seen as definitely male, testosterone loaded replies.
    Women don't care for that sort of discussion.
    Perhaps a forum section just for the lady smokers? And the rules of participation is no comments in references to looks or sexuality?

Posted 8 years ago #
  15. echopipe

echopipe

Login to Send PM

Hmmm.alright well. I am a women pipe smoker on your forum. Yes, sometimes I do have to look the other way..But really everyone is very friendly here and I assume that most of the time no one realizes or knows I am a women. Which is fine because that's not what we are here to talk about. I did just join "women of the brair" but I haven't Had time yet to discover what they're about yet. I do look forward to it. My experience thus far here has been very nice and informative. Yes, its a male dominated hobby and I know I have to put up with a certain amount of pipe babes and man cave talk and its not really a big deal. But I do see were some women might feel a little uncomfortable or maybe unwelcome. Not due to anything anyone has done just the fact that a lot of post are directed to "my brother pipe smoker" (for example) but you fella's have been nothing short of kind and wonderful. So I skip the pipe babe page and enjoy the rest of what you have to offer. So thank you!

Posted 8 years ago #
  16. unclearthur

unclearthur

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

echopipe. It's good to have you here. I tend to try to keep my posts to something I wouldn't mind a fifteen year old daughter reading over my shoulder. That comes from spending a whole lot of time over on a blacksmith site that has very firm rules about language. And yes we have several ladies over there too.

Posted 8 years ago #
  17. bowhatchie

bowhatchie

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I always liked Red's posts... hate she quit posting....

Posted 8 years ago #
  18. echopipe

echopipe

Login to Send PM

Oh yeah welcome pipetart..

Posted 8 years ago #
  19. shepaintz

shepaintz

Login to Send PM

Searched to find the latest on women pipe smokers. I guess this is it. Disappointing.

Posted 3 years ago #
  20. jackswilling

jackswilling

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

There are some female members here. There were a couple in the past that appear to have dropped off and Jessicac (sp?) was active recently. She may be gone due to Pipe Babes imbroglio or not. One good thing, is that this site is focused on pipes and tobacco primarily so if that interests you then you are in the right place. If you are looking for significant female membership, not so much. Welcome. Hope you hang around.

"Had his shooting been as good as his running, he might have given a better account of himself."
    James. C. Henderson
    Posted 3 years ago #
  21. tobyducote

NOLA Cajun

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

welcome...the more the merrier

Posted 3 years ago #
  22. chasingembers

Embers

Captain Of The Black Frigate

Login to Send PM

My wife likes her Missouri Merrschaum eggs, but is not a forum member. We have had female members from time to time, but our forum is less about gender, and more about our little obsession....errr hobby. Lots of info and lunacy around here, so stick around. Great group of folks.

Damnation seize my soul if I give you quarters, or take any from you.
    -Edward Teach
    Posted 3 years ago #
  23. sparrowhawk

sparrowhawk

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Agreed, I wish more female members would show up.

There is no beauty without some strangeness in proportion.
    Posted 3 years ago #
  24. agnosticpipe

Orley

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

My wife has smoked along side of me for the last 30+ years. That's her with me in my avatar. She doesn't join in the forums with me because she mostly just likes smoking her pipes, and not reading about it. I share some of the stories or posts on here that I think she would like and that's about it. She pretty much sticks to her favorite Stanwells, Savinellis, and one Dunhill I got her. She smokes mostly latakia blends, with the occasional foray into some aro that tickles her fancy. I'm the one that has TAD and PAD issues, but she goes along with me most of the time.
    She also likes to support new female smokers, but wants to say hi to ALL the folks here on the forums...

The pipe smoker formerly know as agnostic pipe
    "Fried food, hard liquor, and tobacco, that's the holy trinity!"- Stacy Keach
    Posted 3 years ago #
  25. hawke

hawke

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

My Wife(note capitalized, hehe) enjoys a pipe with me on occasion. She has 2 or three of her own in fact.

Are those Tobacco Brownies?
    Posted 3 years ago #
  26. brudnod

Spencer

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Quite a few women popped up with the "what do you do for a living" thread.

Posted 3 years ago #
  27. jkrug

jkrug

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

My wife is not a forum member but does enjoy smoking her pipe with me once in awhile. I enjoy time spent puffing with her as well.

Posted 3 years ago #
  28. jessicac

jessicac

Login to Send PM

Hey there,

I'm still around. Haven't been active of late as law school has taken up most of my time, so I'm not on as often.

But currently puffing away a latakia.

Posted 3 years ago #
  29. mortonbriar

mortonbriar

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Hi Jessicac, I was wondering where you had gone...this is a very northern hemisphere hobby/forum, so glad to see you making an appearance again!

Isaac (nz)

I don't really care if the cup is half full or half empty, I just want something to sip on.
    Posted 3 years ago #
  30. jessicac

jessicac

Login to Send PM

Yeah, I never left, still browse although I was in the quiet corner.

And, Orley, I'll never forget. Still loving the pipe you guys gave.

Also putting up with the fact that our campus is a no smoking area, so I have to venture to the street. But I digress.

I'll be seeing you guys a lot more the next couple of months.

Posted 3 years ago #
  31. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I see women smoking pipes occasionally in my area, but not all over the place.
    Funny thing, a few years ago, I was asking Skip at The Briary if women ever come in and buy pipes or cigars. He started shaking his head emphatically, "No," while the other guy working behind the counter was behind him nodding, "yes." And, just as the conversation shifted in walked a lady asking about tobaccos, ha ha.

Michael
    Posted 3 years ago #
  32. carver

carver

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Funny thing, a few years ago, I was asking Skip at The Briary if women ever come in and buy pipes or cigars. He started shaking his head emphatically, "No," while the other guy working behind the counter was behind him nodding, "yes." And, just as the conversation shifted in walked a lady asking about tobaccos, ha ha.

I've always found these double sided no in front yes in the back stories to be hilarious.

The wife has tried once or twice but, until now, it's not really gotten into her.
    She smoked the cigarette for a while.
    Mentols, so you can imagine that even sweet fruity tobaccos might not find her in great dispositions.

Posted 3 years ago #
  33. User has not uploaded an avatar

briarlab

Login to Send PM

The third cofounder of Briarlab, Sarah, smokes pipes and is serving as Michael Lindner's new apprentice, learning to carve.

Posted 3 years ago #
  34. didimauw

didimauw

Mod

Login to Send PM

My wife occasionally shows interest in my pipes and tobacco. (shes a cig smoker) I even purchased her some Altadis aromatic tobaccos, but those didn't go over as well as they sounded. She is starting to learn that she prefers the straight tobacco taste. I'm trying to find her a nice small pipe that would work for her.

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."
    Posted 3 years ago #
  35. brewshooter

Brewshooter

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Seems like there have been a number of females here over the three or four years I've been around. My approach to women and pipe smoking has not necessarily been to find ways to actively encourage, more to find ways not to discourage anybody from participating. I tend not to agree with the notion that HOBBY X is dying or suffering due to lack of participation by GROUP Y. Does pipe smoking NEED more women. No, not by the strict definition of the word. Are more women, hipsters, transgendered, etc. welcome? Sure, come on in, let's talk about pipes and tobacco and stuff.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.
    -C. S. Lewis, English essayist & juvenile novelist (1898 - 1963)
    Posted 3 years ago #
  36. okiescout

okiescout

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Glad to have and read about all of the ladies. It is great when they take part.

I think it comes down to knowing they are a diminished number of a diminishing number.
    How many guys do you see aside from your local B&M smoking a pipe in public. It is a rare occasion here in Oklahoma City. I got a kick out of seeing a guy walking across the parking lot at the local grocery several years ago, pipe in mouth and smoke billowing. At the time it hit me how rare the site had become.

"Work as if you were to live a hundred years. Pray as if you were to die tomorrow."
    Benjamin Franklin
    Posted 3 years ago #
  37. winton

winton

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

At a recent meeting of our pipe club, one of the guys brought a friend, of the female variety. This is part of the conversation:

Guys, we need to behave tonight, since we have woman in our midst.
    Her: Don't worry, I work at a prison.
    Someone else: That's why you look so familiar!

Posted 3 years ago #
  38. phred

phred

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

"De gustibus non est disputandum."
    Posted 3 years ago #
  39. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'd guess there are, or have been, around ten women on Forums, although there could be more. They (you) always have interesting things to say and enhance perspective on most topics bringing in a different gender point of view. Thanks to all the women who participate; please keep your contributions coming. I think men often think of petite pipes as being what women would like, but I think women have about the same range of preferences as men -- vast.

Posted 3 years ago #
  40. shepaintz

shepaintz

Login to Send PM

Thanks to all who replied to my post. Somehow I wasn't aware until just now when I checked in. I'll check in more often. The forum topics are really quite interesting! Smoking a little Nightcap in my Stanwell Silke brun 118. Laters.
    OH, & Okiescout, there is a Tinder Box not too far from where I live that has a womens' group that meets there monthly.

Posted 3 years ago #
  41. jvnshr

jvnshr

Mod

Login to Send PM

I was asking this question to myself yesterday, I usually read old threads whenever I have time and as MSO stated I realized that there were more active female members before. They are not around nowadays, I just wonder if it is our mistake that we made this forum some kind of a manly thing

Javan
    Posted 3 years ago #
  42. smokinfireman

smokinfireman

Login to Send PM

Nope. Not a mistake at all. In a society that is castrating the male populace before they can even drive, it's kinda nice for a men o have their own thing.

Posted 3 years ago #
  43. jvnshr

jvnshr

Mod

Login to Send PM

In a society that is castrating the male populace before they can even drive

What do you mean?

Posted 3 years ago #
  44. judcole

Jud

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Oh,god, are we gonna get another one of those "pipe smoking is manly" threads? Maybe combined with one of those "real men do thus and so" threads?

Thought in the early morning, solace in time of woes,
    Peace in the hush of the twilight, balm ere my eyelids close
    Rudyard Kipling
    Posted 3 years ago #
  45. jvnshr

jvnshr

Mod

Login to Send PM

I hope we won't

Posted 3 years ago #
  46. oldreddog

oldreddog

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Of course not jud,we shall share a mature and frank exchange of ideas on the situational imposition of gender identity.

Killing me won't bring back your apples.
    Posted 3 years ago #
  47. pappymac

pappymac

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

1. I have physically been in the presence of women who smoke pipes.

2. One of the purposes of this forum is to discuss pipes and pipe tobacco and to provoke conversations on a myriad of other topics. We seek out the differing opinions of those in the world who have one defining trait - they are pipe smokers. Why should it matter what the gender makeup of a forum participant is as long as they are pipe smokers.

3. How do we really know if the poster is a male or female? Isn't the internet full of stories about people posing as something they are not just to get close to someone?

I am glad we have a good admin and responsible moderators.

Heave to you dark colored ship under sail! Prepare to be boarded!
    Posted 3 years ago #
  48. deathmetal

deathmetal

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Bruce Jenner smoked a pipe.

"My own experience has been that the tools I need for my trade are paper, tobacco, food, and a little whiskey." -- William Faulkner

The Metal Mixtures
    Posted 3 years ago #
  49. pappymac

pappymac

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

"Bruce Jenner smoked a pipe."

I started to post several flippant replies to this but I self edited before doing so.

Was it a tobacco pipe and did it contain tobacco?

Posted 3 years ago #
  50. hooboy

hooboy

Login to Send PM

Yep Jenner smoked a pipe among other things make one wonder did herhim has ever pooped up on this forum!
    hoo

I feel strongly BOTH ways!
    Posted 3 years ago #
  51. minfarshaw

minfarshaw

Login to Send PM

I'm not Caitlin Jenner but I smoke a pipe. I've just been lurking. Too lazy to log in but I finally did today.

Posted 3 years ago #
  52. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Hope women feel welcome on Forums. Sometimes things get a little rowdy, but I don't think that's exclusively a male thing. Always interested to hear what people have to say, women and men.

Posted 3 years ago #
  53. agnosticpipe

Orley

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Hi min, good to hear from you again, and glad to see you're still puffin away! I know that if I wasn't retired, I'd probably have less time for the forum, and be lurking more too.

Posted 3 years ago #
  54. minfarshaw

minfarshaw

Login to Send PM

Yup still 'puffin away'. It's more fun now that I'm in the suburbs. I got one of those fire pits for pipe smoking entertainment. Good stuff. The pipe you gave me is still a workhorse too. Dedicated to EMP.

Posted 3 years ago #
  55. michaelmirza

Michael Mirza

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Are more women, hipsters, transgendered, etc. welcome? Sure, come on in, let's talk about pipes and tobacco and stuff.

I appreciate this sentiment!

Sometimes I take pictures: http://instagram.com/michael_mirza
    Posted 3 years ago #
  56. bcharles123

bcharles123

Login to Send PM

3. How do we really know if the poster is a male or female? Isn't the internet full of stories about people posing as something they are not just to get close to someone?

It's an interesting question. The very nature of "online" communication allows for a far greater degree of socialization then ever possible while providing a high degree of autonomy. It's paradoxical. In the balance, I think the pipe smoking hobby is obscure enough that it's a safe bet that people are honestly representing themselves. On the other hand, I can only imagine how much fun I would have had as a teenager tormenting a group of obscure hobbyists! Trolling a NASCAR forum is one thing but trolling the assymetric strummel designers group would have been genius!

Posted 3 years ago #
  57. jvnshr

jvnshr

Mod

Login to Send PM

I've just been lurking.

I cannot even imagine how many people there are doing that. Come on people, join and be part of the fun.

Posted 3 years ago #
  58. chapu

chapu

Login to Send PM

Well, I had been lurking up until yesterday

Posted 3 years ago #
  59. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have met a very young boy that was sort of a genius of pipe makers, artists, and such. Not so much the tobacco side of the hobby, but he was a young savant of sorts. He was at the B&M with his father. But, he had said that he was involved with forums. Unfortunately the thread I had started about meeting this kid was closed. I wasn't PC enough.
    Regardless, I am always weary of folks online, at least until I have met them in person. I don't assume that they are male or female or young or elderly... crazy or sane

Posted 3 years ago #
  60. flaneuse

flaneuse

Login to Send PM

Hi, everyone. I just joined, and I figured this would be a good place to introduce myself. I don't see many pipe smokers where I live, male or female. The tobacco shop in my area has a smoking lounge, and I don't think I've ever seen anyone smoking a pipe there, only cigars.

Posted 3 years ago #
  61. deathmetal

deathmetal

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Unfortunately the thread I had started about meeting this kid was closed. I wasn't PC enough.

And this forum isn't really all that PC.

Almost makes you feel like some strange force has taken over society, government, people...

And not the scapegoats that people usually blame.

Posted 3 years ago #
  62. jackswilling

jackswilling

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

"I don't think I've ever seen anyone smoking a pipe there, only cigars."

They don't know what they are missing.
    welcome

Posted 3 years ago #
  63. brudnod

Spencer

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Welcome aboard flaneuse! Many of us have the same problem with having a pacity of other pipe smokers and it is always enjoyable to have a place to bump thoughts off of any time of day or night even if it is the cyber equivalent. Probably good to have a few ladies/women/girls (never really got this stuff right) around to make us male/men/boys keep mind our Ps & Qs...

Posted 3 years ago #
  64. iamn8

Nate

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I've noticed that on the pipe carving front, women who break through tend to do quite well. Tokutomi and Julie to name a couple, but there are quite a few more.

Nate @ Moody AL
    Posted 3 years ago #
  65. pappymac

pappymac

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Welcome to the club flaneuse.

Posted 3 years ago #
  66. judcole

Jud

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Hi, everyone. I just joined, and I figured this would be a good place to introduce myself. I don't see many pipe smokers where I live, male or female. The tobacco shop in my area has a smoking lounge, and I don't think I've ever seen anyone smoking a pipe there, only cigars.

Welcome,flaneuse. Don't know where you live, but here in Michigan, the laws about cigar lounges (and that includes lounges in tobacco shops) are fairly complicated, and lead to some confusion about how they can be utilized.

Posted 3 years ago #
  67. User has not uploaded an avatar

davidintexas

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Welcome to the forum flaneuse. Hope you continue to frequent these forums and ask questions, share your thoughts, and let us know how you're getting along with the pipe.

Posted 3 years ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   jfred, pipestud, chilllucky, sholto, ben88, jiminks, elbert, milehighpiper, tuold, jaytex969, philobeddoe, dcon, ashdigger, pitchfork, rodo, danimalia, gandalfspipe, crawdad