Any Experience With Ozone Treatment For Pipes ?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mngslvs

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 24, 2019
Yarmouth, Maine
Maybe this subject has been covered in a previous thread, but here goes :

I just learned that Walker Pipe Repair will "deodorize and sanitize" a pipe by putting it in an Ozone chamber. The charge is $5, or even less for multiple pipes. I've never had a pipe that needed this, but not long ago I bought a pre-trans Barling that has an odd taste to it. So maybe ......

Anyone have any experience with this process ?

fightnhampster

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 14, 2019
Indiana
Never heard of this before, but it sounds interesting. I too would be interested in any other experiences by folks.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
First, I'd Google ozone. I think it has been used in various way, maybe even as a health therapy for people, but I'm not sure how scientifically supported it is for any use. Without researching it, I tend to think of it as a sort of futuristic remedy not well proven. But for five bucks, with a discount for extra pipes, I'd give it a try. If it cleansed your funky pipe, that would be a worthwhile experiment. I'd send along a few pipes, just to expand the data. That said, I will admit I like the faint whiff of previous smokes, the tobacco smell, exuded by clean well-maintained pipes. I wipe out my bowls after scooping, so no reaming is necessary (don't own a reamer) and ghosting is not a problem.

husky

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 1, 2019
I don't know the chemistry behind ozone removing odor but it is used successfully to get the "old boat smell" out of yachts and I believe also with smoke damage after a house fire (The resident post pyro guy can probably comment on this?).

On the topic, my parents used to pour some white vinegar in a bowl to get the smoke out of the house after entertaining guests that had smoked. I keep my pipes in a cabinet and have an open bottle of white vinegar in there also. There is no odor outside and very little inside the cabinet. Any other methods?

First time I ever heard of Ozone was on an overseas flight with a friend of mine from Japan. He said that the inside of the plane smelled like "ozone," and when asked what ozone was, he said the stuff they use to kill germs in hospitals. This was in the late 80's. They ran ozone through the vents of hospitals and airplanes to kill germs.
Now, of course they tell us that it's not good to breath the stuff. But, it does leave a definite smell behind. I got one pipe that had been treated with it, and I am not sure whether the Lakeland ghost was better or worse than the smell of ozone. One man's heavenly aroma is another man's shit-stank. YMMV

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
It used to be a tactic 7-8 years ago. I never tried it and it seems to have faded from favor. Does any repair shop still offer this service? (Rick Walker?)

Status
Not open for further replies.