PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

reichenbach

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 5, 2012
West Park, NY
It was just my birthday and I'm thinking about buying a new pipe for myself. I'm thinking about a Hardcastle Crescent Bulldog. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Owned by Dunhill. Depending on who you listen to, Hardcastle is either a Dunhill second or a Parker second (making it a Dunhill "third").
I had a Hardcastle prince a few years ago. I picked it up for a few dollars as an estate, and sold it a year later for what I paid for it. It was an OK pipe; not bad, not great. Better than Grabow, probably on par with Peterson.
I like the look of the Crescent Rustic finish. IMHO it looks like a nice, simple, standard English pipe.

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
I didn't mean to "damn with faint praise"... I probably should have written "Classic English". I actually think the bit of the Hardcastle was thinner and more comfortable than your average Peterson.
I hope you go for it!

reichenbach

Jan 5, 2012
West Park, NY
Haha, I took your response in earnest and I responded in earnest as well. I'm tired and sunburnt today which makes me laconic which sometimes (for me) comes off as sarcastic and/or unenthusiastic which I did not mean. I'm taking a ride up to Habana Premium (pipesandcigars.com) in morning so we'll see how it goes. I appreciate your clarification and your advise. If I can get a hold of a camera, I'll post the pipe (if I find one) that I purchase. Again, thank you.

nsfisher

Lifer
Nov 26, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
Howdy mate. I have a Hardcastle, Camden Estate Pipe here that I just love! It is a "Shell" and along the lines of a Canadian Style, it smokes like a dream, however, I find the bowl to be a bit too small. I much prefer it's smoking qualities over a Peterson or Sav.

reichenbach

Jan 5, 2012
West Park, NY
I pulled the trigger on the Hardcastle. I doubt I'll have trouble with the chamber depth, this pipe is a monster. I have to go to a BBQ in a few minutes but when I get home, if I am capable, I will attempt to put up a picture. The color is much darker than the picture on pipesandcigars.com and when I saw it, I said yes, I must. Anyway, thanks again for the input guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.