Any Experience with Aging Lakeland Blends?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
Just curious if anyone's compared aged tins of the Lake District blends with their fresh equivalents. Now that I'm exploring this style, I'm just wondering if they age like aromatics (which means "not much at all") or if they can improve significantly over time (like most non-aromatics).
Bob

bryanf

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 16, 2013
Yes! Cortez sent me a huge sample a while back of 6 or 7 lakeland blends. All were at least 3 years old. I'm not sure the effect of even more time, but to my taste the flavor was not lessened in the least. If anything, with the bloom, they got sweeter. The 3 year old Ennerdale was definitely more intense than the fresh bulk I had.

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
I have a tin of Peterson's Hyde Park that will definitely be aging. I smoked a few puffs of one bowl and nearly gagged. Maybe with age it will improve, but not sure if I will have the guts to try it again :)

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
Thanks, Bryanf!
"The 3 year old Ennerdale was definitely more intense than the fresh bulk I had."
"Intense" in what way? Did the nicotine come through more? Or was it the scent/flavoring that seemed to intensify over time?
Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.