Any Dual Citizens Here?

(28 posts)
  • Started 11 months ago by mikethompson
  • Latest reply from simenon
  1. mikethompson

mikethompson

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Any fellow pipe smokers have dual citizenship?

I'm looking into some options for myself, and it's a little daunting. I'm sure every country is different, and the processes different themselves.

Anyone have any stories? Has having two citizenships changed your life in any way?

Posted 11 months ago #
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

bigpond

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Yep. Italy & US. It’s nice to have a back door. Have lived in both countries and have served in militaries for both (US first), which was odd. Anyway, there are many advantages wrt travel restrictions. Yeah, it’s super cool and I would recommend you go for it as long as the country is some place you like to go.

Posted 11 months ago #
  3. perdurabo

perdurabo

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

https://amp.theaustralian.com.au/news/inquirer/dual-citizenship-drama-constitutional-past-is-a-foreign-country/news-story/7d588e55b5ce30bbdd60ecdbc8f5af63

Don’t move to Australia and try to run for government.

I have family with dual citizenship. I’ve always thought it a serious issue, where do your allegiances lay? In the other country or the one you reside most of the time in. When you become a US citizen, your loyalty is expected to be with the US.

But there are many with dual citizenship, and it ain’t going away. In fact open boarders are the wave of the future.

It's not my position nor want to help another man. It's his responsibility to help himself, as where he can learn to dig down deep enough to save himself. -I. Kidd
    Posted 11 months ago #
  4. perdurabo

perdurabo

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Oh yea, my family members with dual citizenship, they love it.

Posted 11 months ago #
  5. mikethompson

mikethompson

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Nope, it won't be Canadian-American.

It is for no real reason other than to say I have it. Just got off the phone with the Embassy in Ottawa and it's a little trickier than I was hoping.

Posted 11 months ago #
  6. warren

warren

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I didn't know at the right time but, I could have been a Mountie. Good thing though, I'm too short to have looked good in the red tunic and jodhpurs. I can also qualify for Irish (Republic of) citizenship I believe.

A man without a shillelagh is a man without an expedient.
    Posted 11 months ago #
  7. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

No options that way. My bro-in-law has Dutch/U.S.

Posted 11 months ago #
  8. pepesdad1

pepesdad1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

U.S.A. and Redneck Riviera here.

Posted 11 months ago #
  9. peckinpahhombre

peckinpahhombre

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Canada and Ireland here. I love it. I can (and have) work anywhere in the EU and can join the shorter customs lines at EU airports. Unless you plan on living in the US, i would avoid US citizenship as it is one of only a couple of countries in the world that taxes on the basis of citizenship rather than residence.

Posted 11 months ago #
  10. lifesizehobbit

lifesizehobbit

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Have an Italian birth certificate due to military father; but an FS240 Statement of US citizen born abroad. As an Army Veteran, I officially renounced any other citizenry at my oath of enlistment.

Never really wanted to be a citizen of another country, just wanted to live other places.

Dave "Black Frigate Stowaway"
    Posted 11 months ago #
  11. User has not uploaded an avatar

aldecaker

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Never did care for the idea of allegiance to more than one country.

A man who serves his country is a patriot. A man who serves his government is an employee. The two are not always the same thing.
    Posted 11 months ago #
  12. olkofri

Olkofri

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I’ve always thought it a serious issue, where do your allegiances lay? In the other country or the one you reside most of the time in.

Agreed. Man cannot serve two masters.

Not the sweet, new grass with flowers is this harvesting of mine;
    Not the upland clover bloom...
    Posted 11 months ago #
  13. tslex

tslex

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Bigpond, this is very interesting:

Yep. Italy & US. It’s nice to have a back door. Have lived in both countries and have served in militaries for both (US first), which was odd. Anyway, there are many advantages wrt travel restrictions. Yeah, it’s super cool and I would recommend you go for it as long as the country is some place you like to go.

I know a fellow who served in both the USN and the Royal Navy, and I know a couple of folks who served in the IDF after US prior service. But I don't know anyone who served US and Italy. What branches? How did they compare?

Posted 11 months ago #
  14. mikethompson

mikethompson

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Thanks for the insight Peck, and it would be a Canadian-Austrian situation. It is curious the requirements are different based on what side of 1983 you were born on.

Posted 11 months ago #
  15. lazar

lazar

Login to Send PM

UK and US. I value my UK citizenship greatly because it also makes me an EU citizen. At least until I am stripped of those rights and privileges if/when it happens with Brexit.

I have no issue with "allegiance" to more than one country. Maybe if I were a US/Russian or North Korean citizen I'd feel more conflicted. Where I happened to be born is just a random circumstance of events.

Posted 11 months ago #
  16. canadianpuffer

canadianpuffer

Login to Send PM

I’ve got dual, if anything else you can feel like James Bond with more than one passport.

Posted 11 months ago #
  17. wolflarsen

wolflarsen

Login to Send PM

US citizen here but submitted documents for Austrian citizenship about 5 months ago.

Posted 11 months ago #
  18. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

After my obstreperous ancestors pulled away in the Revolution and after the War of 1812, I don't think the English would take me back even as a dual-citizen. The rest of my lineage is too vague to claim. The Indian nations wouldn't have me with a gift card, so here I am.

Posted 11 months ago #
  19. woodsroad

woodsroad

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I suppose that if you don't hold any allegiance to your native country, then having dual citizenship wouldn't present any conflicts.

Posted 11 months ago #
  20. scrumpyjack

scrumpyjack

Login to Send PM

I'm a Texan/U.S. Citizen! Does that count?

Posted 11 months ago #
  21. mikethompson

mikethompson

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

wolflarsen you have a PM

Posted 11 months ago #
  22. olkofri

Olkofri

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I suppose that if you don't hold any allegiance to your native country, then having dual citizenship wouldn't present any conflicts.

It actually does. And this irredentist attitude makes life very difficult for those who leave a place and move to another out of conviction, and not because they want the handouts; all the more when such attitude is adopted by governments.

I happen to have dual citizenship. Allow me to rephrase that in a way that is more consistent with the truth: I have dual citizenship, which I DON'T want, being FORCED ON me. I want to be nothing but Canadian, but the other POS country's laws don't allow their former citizens to give up citizenship. Worse, if you were born there and want to visit, you must enter their country as a citizen of it; if you try to enter with a Canadian passport they will fine you heavily. Thing is, Canada's law states that if you enter another country as a non-Canadian, you relinquish any help the Canadian consulate might give you if something happens. So, even if one cares nothing about honour and loyalty, even for pragmatic reasons dual-citizenship can backfire in some instances.

Posted 11 months ago #
  23. lazar

lazar

Login to Send PM

For those of you talking about allegiance and loyalty, I'm curious - what situation do you envision that would force you to choose between one or the other? Many people have dual citizenship between mutually friendly Western democracies. I don't really envision a war between the US and the UK, Canada, the EU, etc any time soon.

Posted 11 months ago #
  24. warren

warren

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Friendly countries do not always stay friendly. Then there are economic (trade wars, balance of payments, etc.) considerations with regard to loyalty, also politics (Germany making nice with Russia while NATO still considers Russia a logical foe) are a consideration. Then there is spy v. spy. Are you pulling for US spies, GB spies, French spies? Divided loyalties are a serious problem for many with dual citizenships.

Then there is the big consideration, who to root for when one of your countries is playing soccer against the other? Or, the Olympic games? Who to pull for? Serious question.

Posted 11 months ago #
  25. User has not uploaded an avatar

aldecaker

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Lazar, it's hard to explain. Just something that on a visceral level, either you're okay with the notion of, or you're not. I don't consider myself some sort of "world citizen", so to me, the "random circumstance" of where I was born is very important.

Posted 11 months ago #
  26. brian64

brian64

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Being subjected to one national government is punishment enough for one lifetime.

“Bipartisan usually means some larger-than-usual deception is being carried out.” – George Carlin
    Posted 11 months ago #
  27. lazar

lazar

Login to Send PM

That's true about friendly countries @warren. Right now we're seeing shifting alliances and baiting between the US and ostensibly "friendly" countries, and cozying up to "unfriendly" ones. But I don't make my judgements based on which country I was born in - I make them based on the circumstances and my ethical considerations of the issues. "My" country isn't always right just because I happened to be born in it. If the US were to attack the UK unprovoked, I would be on the side of the UK, and vice versa. As far as economics, trade wars, sports, spies etc., I don't see why it matters who I root for. Unless I were a spy, a policy maker, a global capitalist, or a sports star, it's not going to make any difference to anybody.

I think you're right, @aldecaker - it's just one of those things that resonates on a deep emotional level for some people, while others just don't get it.

Posted 11 months ago #
  28. sparroa

simenon

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

If I was rich enough, I'd pay to purchase Portuguese and Maltese and Cypriot citizenship just to have a few more passports in my rotation!

Posted 11 months ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   tufftony, paulfg