PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

kane

Can't Leave
Dec 2, 2014
Hello,

I really like Dunhill London Mixture and will be ordering more to store in my next tobacco order. I am wondering if there is any variance between the tin and the bulk baccy.

In searching the forum for this, I have found no mention of this detail, but I believe that a big company like Dunhill may be sourcing their tobaccos from different places. So is there a difference, and a preference for people who have compared the tins and the bulk, or is it always going to be the same stuff, and therefore a no-brainer to go the economical route of buying bulk for jarring and storing? If so, is this true in general for all brands? I will also be doing this with Black House, Whiteknight, and a few others.
Thank you

daimyo

Lifer
May 15, 2014
Tins may taste a bit different depending on how much aging goes on inside them before they are popped but it's the same tobacco.

dochudson

Lifer
May 11, 2012
as occasionally pickup bulk Nightcap locally and I have also purchased a tin at the same location. if they are different it's beyond sensitivities.

kane

Can't Leave
Dec 2, 2014
Thank you, Old Cajun,

Yes, looking at P&C that does appear to be the case. I just assumed. I know that MM965 is sold by the once, but appears not so with LM. Too bad! That's my fave Dunhill that I've tried. So bulk is good with all brands, HH Marque blends like BH, WK, etc.? Any that you recommend not to buy bulk with?

Sounds like it's the way to go. Just put my current stock of tins in jars, and i see now that that's a good way to go. Will hang on to a few tins for out-and-about transport until I get a pouch. Gave the rest of the empty tins to the kids.

allan

Lifer
Dec 5, 2012
Bronx, NY
Kane
I could be mistaken, but the advantage of tins, especially VA's, is the ageing process. In addition, if you care, the value for sale in the years to come. Selling bulk tobacco to others is quite difficult whereas tins are very easy.
One other advantage of tins is that if you buy bulk and say something happens to the jar without you knowing it, the entire pound or large quantity is gone and any savings will be lost.
Not to dissuade you-I buy in bulk and I have not found any difference in 965 or EMP whatsoever, but my taste buds are not as refined as others on the forum.

kane

Can't Leave
Dec 2, 2014
Allen,

I hadn't considered that! That's a good point. I have gotten a tin of Black House that did not appear to have a vacuum seal. The baccy was great, but I don't know how it would have kept for long term storage. Also, seems like the rectangular tins that Squadron Leader comes in would not provide a really air tight seal just by the press-on design, as opposed to a round tin with a screw on lid with the rubber coating under the lid, ala Dunhill and others. Right now I am jarring tins after I open them, but these are small 8 oz. jars, so if one did go bad, as you point out, the loss is only equivalent to a tin's worth, not like a pound or such as you mention.

jrtaster

Might Stick Around
Sep 28, 2009
It may or may not be significant, but from time to time I have seen various, isolated comments specifically mentioning the posters DID notice a difference between Dunhill tins and bulk.

Theoretically I suppose the prep for tinning a specific blend could differ from bulk processing.

I will soon be able to decide for myself if such a difference exists.

rcstan

Lifer
Mar 7, 2012
Sunset Beach NC
The Dunhill bulks ( EMP, MM965 and Nightcap ) come in 5 lb bags. Even if you buy a whole bag, at some point you'd have to deal with the stuff at the bottom of the bag that by means of physics has rubbed itself to a fine powder, too small even for filter tubes 8O . And then there's that other issue with putting it in jars and maintaining proper moisture. This is where tins vs bulk wins every time for me. As far as the taste, no differences noted between the two.

dochudson

Lifer
May 11, 2012
The Dunhill bulks ( EMP, MM965 and Nightcap ) come in 5 lb bags. Even if you buy a whole bag, at some point you'd have to deal with the stuff at the bottom of the bag that by means of physics has rubbed itself to a fine powder, too small even for filter tubes 8O . And then there's that other issue with putting it in jars and maintaining proper moisture. This is where tins vs bulk wins every time for me. As far as the taste, no differences noted between the two.
I can live with a few crumbs when they are selling a pound at $32

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
I did get the bottom of the bag last time P&C had their bulk sale. They promptly and cheerfully swapped it out with stuff from the top of the bag.

Oct 12, 2014
Can't speak to the Dunhill's but I have had an issue when ordering what are perhaps less popular blends that they may not go through as much of. Dried out, more crumbs etc..

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Kane:
I buy tins and bulk of Dunhill Nightcap and C&D Star Of The East. With the bulks I might get a few more twigs but the taste is certainly the same and the savings are certainly worth it. (With very few exceptions I jar everything.) I have a lot more faith in Messrs. Ball and Kerr than I do anything else and the few tins I have in my cellar are for gifts.
I asked a similar question a year ago when I noticed that Nightcap finally made the bulk list, and, Kane, I haven't been disappointed yet. Of course, the mileage will vary if you're buying VAs and VaPers.
Fnord

daveinlax

Charter Member
May 5, 2009
WISCONSIN
This Dunhill tin vs bulk question has always been asked and goes back pre 2005 when Murrray made the Tin tobacco and Lane Ltd. made the bulk. 8O

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I've run this test only with Dunhill's My Mixture 965, and find no difference. Any blend

will have some variation from year to year with different tobacco crops and sources

because of weather, etc. But the tin and the bulk 965 seem to hold pretty steady.

blendtobac

Lifer
Oct 16, 2009
When they go into the package, they're exactly the same. Once they're sealed they're the same. But when the bag gets to the retailer and is opened, it will be the same for a week or so, but the flavor will degrade a bit as it's repeatedly exposed to air. We turn these tobaccos over quickly, so that's not usually a problem here. But the tobacco in the tin has had time to ferment, which will definitely change the flavor over time. So, while the tobacco is identical at first, differences will occur as months/years pass.
Russ

unholy1

Might Stick Around
May 4, 2014
I've only had EMP in bulk and tinned, so my experience is isolated to that blend. I noticed that the flavor is not as pronounced in the bulk blend as a newly opened tin. Russ' explanation makes sense in that regard. After a few weeks, however, there seemed to be no noticeable flavor difference between the two.

Status
Not open for further replies.