Pipes Magazine » General Discussion

Tags:  No tags yet. 

Any College Basketball Fans?

(25 posts)
  1. indianafrank

indianafrank

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

A while back I noticed a thread re: football and if anyone watched. It seemed like the majority would rather watch paint dry, or something akin to that.

Well, college basketball season is almost here. I love the sport, and my Syracuse Orangemen. You can have the NBA.

Who's your favorite team?

I don't know where I'm going...but sooner or later I'll get there.
    Posted 4 years ago #
  2. phil67

phil67

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'd rather shave my head with a cheese grater while chewing on aluminum foil than watch any type of basketball game. But... that's just me.

~I started out with nothing, and still have most of it.~
    Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company. Mark Twain
    Posted 4 years ago #
  3. lordofthepiperings

lordofthepiperings

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'm a hockey guy myself.

"The thinking man always smokes a Peterson." -Peterson of Dublin
    Posted 4 years ago #
  4. voorhees

voorhees

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Same here, I cannot stand basketball.

Jason
    Posted 4 years ago #
  5. dochudson

dochudson

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

wife is a college basketball fanatic.. her Dad use to take her to see Jerry Lucas and gang at St. Johns.

I Enjoy Aromatics
    I Enjoy Peterson Pipes
    Posted 4 years ago #
  6. warren

warren

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

What! Guys running around in their underwear beating a rubber ball to death? I'd much rather put on my garter-belt, hose and cup and go for a skate with a bunch of guys trying to feed me a puck. What? Puck? It's spelled right.

A man without a shillelagh is a man without an expedient.
    Posted 4 years ago #
  7. vfefrenzy

vfefrenzy

Login to Send PM

College basketball is my jam! I love my Duke Blue Devils. This year is going to be great. I've been drooling over Tyus Jones for at least the past 9 months, and in a few short days, I finally get to see him play.

You should probably go ahead and start hating Grayson Allen now and beat the rush. He's set to inherit the Laettner Award as the white Dukie the rest of the nation loathes the most. If he can inspire even 50% of the ire Redick drew, he'll be the most hated man playing in the NCAA.

Posted 4 years ago #
  8. dottiewarden

dottiewarden

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

You can have the NBA.

If I'm going to watch a basketball game on TV, which does happen occasionally, it's college ball all the way. Those kids play like their lives depended on it: good sportsmanship too!

Dot
    Posted 4 years ago #
  9. newbroom

newbroom

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

My daughter graduated from UF. I live 45 miles away. I think Billy Donavan is on a par with bay hime and shu sheff ski.
    College ball is the farm team for the NBA, LeBron, Malone, D.Dawkins notwithstanding. The NBA is doing its best to ruin the sport.
    I'm an OLD Celtics fan. I lost interest in the Pierce era. Bill Russel is The Man. Larry is The Legend, and Hondo is the heart and hustle that so many of the Godfather's teams exhibited. Who's The Godfather? Well, he was a big tobacco fan. He was famous for lighting a cigar to signify that his team would leave the gym victorious.
    He had red hair, once. He MADE the NBA and I think he'd be disgusted with today's product.

Posted 4 years ago #
  10. cmdrmcbragg

cmdrmcbragg

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'm just a sports fan, but I miss a lot of college sports because of work (and now a lack of cable). My college ball teams are Kentucky and Ohio State.

Posted 4 years ago #
  11. undecagon

undecagon

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Go Dayton Flyers! Hope everyone's ready for some more upsets this year

I was in the Flyer Pep Band when we won the NIT against UNC in 2010. Madison Square Garden was sweet (along with the rest of my free NY trip)!

"I said NO camels, that's FIVE camels...can't you count?!"
    AJHvibes.com
    Posted 4 years ago #
  12. indianafrank

indianafrank

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Phil, and Warren - I almost popped a hernia laughing at your comments.

Posted 4 years ago #
  13. indianafrank

indianafrank

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

vfefrenzy, thanks for warning me. lol

Posted 4 years ago #
  14. number6

number6

Login to Send PM

"her Dad use to take her to see Jerry Lucas and gang at St. Johns."?

Lucas played at Ohio State.

Big basketball fan here, originally from Indiana and went to Indiana State when Larry Bird was there.

Posted 4 years ago #
  15. danielplainview

dave g

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I prefer drying paint.

Make aromatics great again.
    Posted 4 years ago #
  16. dochudson

dochudson

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

"her Dad use to take her to see Jerry Lucas and gang at St. Johns."?

Lucas played at Ohio State.

Big basketball fan here, originally from Indiana and went to Indiana State when Larry Bird was there.

Formerly the home of Ohio State basketball for 42 seasons, St. John Arena is the permanent venue for the Buckeye men’s and women’s gymnastics and men’s and women’s volleyball teams.

Completed in November of 1956 at a cost of less than $4,000,000, the 13,276-seat structure is named for former Ohio State basketball coach and athletic director, L.W. St. John.

Featuring two Hall of Fame players in Jerry Lucas and John Havlicek, six players drafted by the NBA and Bob Knight, the winningest basketball coach in NCAA history, the Buckeyes led the nation by averaging 90.4 points per game, still a school record and 20 points higher than the NCAA scoring average that season. In the three-year careers of those sophomores [freshmen couldn't play varsity ball then], the Buckeyes never lost at home, went 78-6 overall, and followed the 1960 national title with two more title game appearances, and losses, to Cincinnati.

btw, none of them played less then their 3 years and all graduated before moving on.

Posted 4 years ago #
  17. vfefrenzy

vfefrenzy

Login to Send PM

No problem Frank, hopefully the Duke-Cuse games will be just as exciting as last year. Ideally this year the games won't come down to a close call at the end, and Duke will win both of them.

Posted 4 years ago #
  18. indianafrank

indianafrank

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

vfefrenzy, Coach K, and Boeheim, love'em or hate'em, they will be legends.

If you come to the Dome, PM me. I'm only half an hour from there.

Posted 4 years ago #
  19. drwatson

drwatson

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Love footbal, but would rather give myself a vasectomy with a sharpened popsicle stick before watching basketball...SORRY

John
    Posted 4 years ago #
  20. tarheel1

tarheel1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

As an alumnus of UNC Chapel Hill I only care about the Tarheels.

Posted 4 years ago #
  21. carytobacco

carytobacco

Banned

Login to Send PM

Heels alumn also

PipeAndLeaf.com
    Posted 4 years ago #
  22. vfefrenzy

vfefrenzy

Login to Send PM

Well, I'm definitely not shopping at P&L now.

I just wanted to make sure everyone saw Tyus Jones's performance last night. First true road game and he played like a 5th year senior. He even ended up defending 7-footer Frank Kaminsky on the low block several times and held his own. He's close to passing Kyrie and Singler to become my favorite Blue Devil since Battier.

Posted 4 years ago #
  23. griffonwing

griffonwing

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

How much do I love sports?

If the Steelers played the Dodgers in the Final Four, I don't know who would win the Stanley Cup.

Hoody Hoo! Roll for Initiative, Monkey-boy!
    Posted 4 years ago #
  24. User has not uploaded an avatar

boilermakerandy

Login to Send PM

Born and raised in Indiana and an alumnus of Purdue University...so yeah, I like college basketball. Also spent two years in Winston-Salem while in grad school at Wake Forest University. I'm a fan of both my alma maters and also watch most of the other Big Ten and ACC basketball games.

Posted 4 years ago #
  25. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

I'd rather shave my head with a cheese grater while chewing on aluminum foil than watch any type of basketball game.

I am in the same camp as phil here. It seems I was born without a "sports gene" and find ALL of it to be a dreadful bore and nuisance. The choice between a deep dental cleaning and watching a football game hold equivalency.

This was really problematic when I lived in Kentucky. Basketball is on a par with religion there. Beginning with middle school it is the big thing in every town or hollow. Then we get to the UK Wildcats. People talk about Adolph Rupp the same way an evangelist talks about Christ, and players are treated like they are apostles. What made it really obnoxious for me were the years I spent as a graduate student and later faculty and an administrator at UK. Lexington went nuts on home days, and the campus area was not a place to be due to sheer numbers of thoroughly insane fans off their medication. Or should I say on too much liquid self medication...

I still remember a Lexington Herald-Leader front page headline seen just after I moved there. It said "Cats Surge Past State." Not having any idea who the Cats were--a completely different image played out in my mind...

Posted 4 years ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   grilledokra, ashdigger, redglow, railman, alaskanpiper, sholto, anthonyrosenthal74, cigrmaster, redone, newportpipe, donjgiles, jeff540