PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

shayde

Can't Leave
Oct 4, 2013
Hey guys I'm relatively new to smokin pipe tobacco, the local B&M carries loads more cigars than pipes/tobaccos. I'm thinking about picking one up to try, any specific cigars you'd recommend me try? Does smoking cigars cost much more than smoking pipes?
Thanks for the read and thanks for any advice.
Cheers,

Shayde
X

sergemoat

Can't Leave
Oct 15, 2011
I've tried a few but can't say I'm an expert or anything. Of the cigars I've tried (less than 50) I really like the Cromagnon Anthopology. Cigars are definitely more expensive. One cigar vs one tin of tobacco (a dozen plus bowls).

northernneil

Lifer
Jun 1, 2013
Cigars can be more expensive than pipe's, but by the time you look at all the pipes, racks, cleaners and accessories, pipe smoking is actually pretty expensive in it's slef. That being said, I think the tobacco is going to be less money in the end.

piperl12

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 7, 2012
I don't know about pipes being more expensive than cigars. You can tamp a pipe with your finger or a stick of wood you whittle from the bush. Any old match or bic lighter will get it lit and you can pick up a decent pipe for less than $50.00 Cobs even cheaper. A pouch of tobacco in the states will run you $8.00 Sooo $10.00 Cob + $8.00 Tobacco + $2.00 for a lighter is around $20.00 divided by around 15 smokes per 50g pouch (medium size pipe)Compare this to a $12.00 cigar assuming you get the guy at the store to cut it for you and you smoke it right away. In the long run pipe smoking is significantly cheaper. To answer the OP's original question though a nice mild cigar that is wrapped so you can smoke when your ready without the need for a humidor is a Zino made in Switzerland. I think they use Dominican leaf. Outside of that most larger brand names will give you a decent smoke until you figure out what you like. Cohiba, Monticristo, Partagas are all good choices.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
I smoke a box a week of Camacho Corojos. Over the long run pipe smoking is less expensive once the investment in a pipe and accessories is made. A tin of pipe tobacco for $12-$15 is going to last a lot longer tha 1 cigar @ $6-$8.

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I've dabbled in the cigar world. I really enjoy CAO's offerings. My favorite right now is their Concert. For a beginner into cigars from nothing I'd recommend Drew Estates Isla del Sole. It has a light coffee flavoring to it that's a bit creamy. Most importantly it's consistent throughout the entire smoke. Plus, they're only around $5 a stick.

erichbaumer

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 4, 2012
Illinois
Anything by Perdomo will be a great cigar well below the price it competes at. Their Frescos especially are a great deal, and their Lot 23 may just be the best cigar I've had yet.

As far as cost, there's worlds of difference. It really does come out to 1 cigar:1 tin, worse if you find good bulk deals. As much as I love cigars, I've made a school year resolution to refrain from buying them except on special occasions. I just can't justify the cost.

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
I am a big cigar guy but I like strong rich cigars so I'd probably lead you astray as to what to smoke.
A tin of tobacco ($10-$15) will give you about 15 smokes that will each last at least an hour. As you can see the cost of tobacco is vastly higher for cigars unless you decide to enter the world of buying aged tobaccos.
The real cost of smoking a pipe is controlling your urge to buy expensive pipes.

mrjerke

Lifer
Jun 10, 2013
Midwest
I still like to keep my humidor stocked. Full of Nub Habanos at the moment. I can smoke a whole one without ashing once. They are rolled beautifully.
I recommend doing both. There are times when a good cigar hits the spot and the same for a pipe.
Once you're set up with a decent pipe rotation it will be much cheaper than cigars. Unless you get the aged tobacco bug. Then good luck, I've got it bad myself!

swampmouth

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 4, 2013
I buy either bundles(alot cheaper,still good)or humitubes. It doesn't hurt to splurge once in a while. Of course most of my pipe tabac is splurging.

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
mrkerke, like you I keep about 40 in my humidor ready at any time. Its nice to change to pace every now and again. And those Nubs are a great cigar.

auslander

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 21, 2013
3 recommendations
Don Pepin 'My father' maduro Robusto, a glass of peated whisky and about an hour of free time.
Enjoy

peter70

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 24, 2013
If I smoke a cigar nowadays, it's a Toscano. It's an Italian made small cigar made from fermented Kentucky. They are cheap, too.

sallow

Lifer
Jun 30, 2013
Peter70 - thank you for posting about these cigars. I have not smoked this cheroot style before and find that I like the flavor.
I could not find the toscano brand but am trying a de nobili, an American made cigar by avanti that is a similar style. It is not cigar leaf but a nice strong burley. I might cut it up for the pipe later.

shayde

Can't Leave
Oct 4, 2013
Once I get my pay check for the week I will probably go in and smoke a few while I wait for my estate pipe to arrive and find a tobacco to dedicate to it. I think I'll probably take up cigars just because so many are available at the B&M. Thanks for all the great info and suggestions, I'll post again after I've tried a few :)

Status
Not open for further replies.