PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bassbug

Lifer
Dec 29, 2016
After over 40 years away, I've decided to brush up and play some chess again. Its amazing how much you forget in 40 years :)
Anyone have any decent iOS apps I can try? I have the chess.com app and its good so far in refreshing my weak memory.

cossackjack

Lifer
Oct 31, 2014
Evergreen, Colorado
I am in the same situation

My Software Engineer son introduced this to me (he beats the snot out of me!):
lichess • Online Chess
FREE, Open Source, & Ad-free!

Spartan interface - just what is needed without gimmicks or googahs. Focuses on the play, not the display.

Appropriate for all skill & experience levels.

iOS 10 compatible. Apple App Rating: 4.4/5

Play offline against a very good AI, or Across-the-Board (in-person opponent)

Online play & tournaments, with Leader Boards.

Move annotations & game summary, with server computer analysis.

Daily practice puzzles (I fail all except the easy level puzzles, but getting better)

Skill rating tracking.

Variant games.

Source code available (for hardcore nerds like my son).

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
We had a member here who posted a picture of him and his dad playing chess while smoking pipes in the 70s. That was an amazing photo, just remembered it.
Edit: Found it. Try to guess the member :)
LOOhy6j.jpg

didache

Can't Leave
Feb 11, 2017
London, England
Like most of you, my playing days are mainly in the past. I do sometimes play against the computer but I am incredibly rusty nowadays and usually I get slaughtered.
Back in the day I used to play in a postal chess league dedicated to people in my profession. It went downhill though when computer chess became common - the standard of play shot up and it was obvious that half or more of the players were receiving 'help' from that quarter!
Mike

brightleaf

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 4, 2017
I love to play chess but don't play very often, maybe a game every three years or so. I am not studied in the openings, so most people who know what they are doing will beat me. Winning games that don't involve dice or chance are more satisfying. Computer chess feels like it uses brute force method, weighing 1000s of moves for statistical advantage. I like playing against another human, with their creativity, strengths and weaknesses.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I'm in a hotel this week for a new restaurant opening, I'll have to download a player. I too haven't played since highschool, (35 years ago..) .

bassbug

Lifer
Dec 29, 2016
My Software Engineer son introduced this to me (he beats the snot out of me!):
Don't feel bad. I've been going to my local community centre for friendly games and an 8 year old has been destroying me...

I love chess, but I prefer to play in analog, not digital. There's something about the psychology of watching someone move the piece, and then... that moment... when they remove their hand, and I get to make that quick and precise move that catches them, off guard. The computer just removes so much of the dynamic for me. A buddy of mine used to drop by every day after work, and we would play a few moves a day, and keep the game running for weeks. Lots of fun.
I had thought that maybe playing a game on here would be fun, just posting the moves, but I am not sure how Kevin would take that, with long threads, and then all of the folks commenting in. Might be fun, but like I said, I'm not sure how management would feel. :puffy:

bassbug

Lifer
Dec 29, 2016
There's a thread active right now with 1116 posts about pipes in art :oops:
I'd be in for a forum posted game on the condition that the players give a solemn oath on pain of losing their favourite (insert pipe brand here) if they use a computer to make their moves :lol:

Egos, yeh, some guys don't lose well. I'd love to lose to someone who has grace and skill, wit and strategy over a f'n computer. I would only be able to play in the evening, as in the mornings and afternoons I am at my bench working while posting. And, I would feel much better if we asked Kevin. This is his sandbox. The forum has been around for a while, so there may be reasons that he wouldn't think that was a good idea that just doesn't come to my mind yet. Or, he may think it's a great idea, especially of people posted pictures of the current board with maybe what pipe and tobacco we are smoking while playing. :puffy:
But, I could see a problem if five or mare games were going on, on different threads. hmmm

sasquatch

Lifer
Jul 16, 2012
I'm a club-level player, I like chess a lot. I play mostly a weird team-oriented style of chess that the internet chess sites can host. We have dedicated teams and we play a form of correspondence chess, usually 3 days per move, and each team discusses it's moves and votes for each move. Not only can you learn a lot (and a lot about how others think through a chess game) but you are sometimes forced to play variations you are not familiar with. It's fun and keeps your chops up without being hugely time consuming.

M

mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

I like to play chess, but not enough to play online. I enjoy playing with friends occasionally, but I tend to lose more than I win. Nonetheless, it's one of the best games ever created.

Sasquatch, that sounds like the first half of the game would be entirely entertaining and educational, but an end game with three days per move could get brain rottingly tedious, especially of it is my team getting chased around a board... having to look at my king... everyday. Ha ha.
I think that is why I prefer face to face. And, sometimes verbalizing possibilities of two to four moves in advance is difficult n(much less, holding the strategy in my mind while playing), mixed in with shooting from the hip occasionally...

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I've never played (chess) regularly. I've had little binges in my life. I had a colleague/friend at work who was an advanced player, who later moved on to Go tournaments. My late wife and I played on a little portable chess set, at a swimming pool one time. I beat her in two or three moves. I think she may have set me up, so she could sunbathe.

elpfeife

Lifer
Dec 25, 2013
The homely fellow playing a game with his father is George Dibos. He has better taste in pipes now.

Status
Not open for further replies.