Any Chess Players?

(31 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by bassbug
  • Latest reply from indianafrank
  1. bassbug

bassbug

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

After over 40 years away, I've decided to brush up and play some chess again. Its amazing how much you forget in 40 years

Anyone have any decent iOS apps I can try? I have the chess.com app and its good so far in refreshing my weak memory.

I don't care who you are, you're not walking on the water while I'm fishing
    Posted 1 year ago #
  2. olkofri

Olkofri

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I've had the Optime Software's Chess app for as long as I've had an iOS device. S'ok for me.

Not the sweet, new grass with flowers is this harvesting of mine;
    Not the upland clover bloom...
    Posted 1 year ago #
  3. chasingembers

Embers

Captain Of The Black Frigate

Login to Send PM

It's been decades here.

Damnation seize my soul if I give you quarters, or take any from you.
    -Edward Teach
    Posted 1 year ago #
  4. cossackjack

cossackjack

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I am in the same situation
    My Software Engineer son introduced this to me (he beats the snot out of me!):

lichess • Online Chess

FREE, Open Source, & Ad-free!
    Spartan interface - just what is needed without gimmicks or googahs. Focuses on the play, not the display.
    Appropriate for all skill & experience levels.
    iOS 10 compatible. Apple App Rating: 4.4/5
    Play offline against a very good AI, or Across-the-Board (in-person opponent)
    Online play & tournaments, with Leader Boards.
    Move annotations & game summary, with server computer analysis.
    Daily practice puzzles (I fail all except the easy level puzzles, but getting better)
    Skill rating tracking.
    Variant games.
    Source code available (for hardcore nerds like my son).

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.
    Specialization is for insects!" - Robert Heinlein
    Posted 1 year ago #
  5. madox07

madox07

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I do enjoy a game every so often... not played in a while though.

Sea Wolf Pipers

"Like the mariners of old, a loner is acceptable but a pipe is best enjoyed in a pack"
    Posted 1 year ago #
  6. jvnshr

jvnshr

Mod

Login to Send PM

We had a member here who posted a picture of him and his dad playing chess while smoking pipes in the 70s. That was an amazing photo, just remembered it.

Edit: Found it. Try to guess the member

Javan
    Posted 1 year ago #
  7. didache

didache

Login to Send PM

Like most of you, my playing days are mainly in the past. I do sometimes play against the computer but I am incredibly rusty nowadays and usually I get slaughtered.

Back in the day I used to play in a postal chess league dedicated to people in my profession. It went downhill though when computer chess became common - the standard of play shot up and it was obvious that half or more of the players were receiving 'help' from that quarter!

Mike

"Pipe-smokers spend so much time cleaning, filling and fooling with their pipes, they don't have time to get into mischief." - Bill Vaughan
    Posted 1 year ago #
  8. brightleaf

brightleaf

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I love to play chess but don't play very often, maybe a game every three years or so. I am not studied in the openings, so most people who know what they are doing will beat me. Winning games that don't involve dice or chance are more satisfying. Computer chess feels like it uses brute force method, weighing 1000s of moves for statistical advantage. I like playing against another human, with their creativity, strengths and weaknesses.

POSSIBLY, contentment is not only the chief element of life, but also one of the very foundations of society. If this be so, then as Tobacco is the enemy of malice, friend of virtue, and a direct cause for content, its use should be encouraged. -J.W. Cundall 1901
    Posted 1 year ago #
  9. ssjones

ssjones

Mod

Login to Send PM

I'm in a hotel this week for a new restaurant opening, I'll have to download a player. I too haven't played since highschool, (35 years ago..) .

Al

Posted 1 year ago #
  10. bassbug

bassbug

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

My Software Engineer son introduced this to me (he beats the snot out of me!):

Don't feel bad. I've been going to my local community centre for friendly games and an 8 year old has been destroying me...

Posted 1 year ago #
  11. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I love chess, but I prefer to play in analog, not digital. There's something about the psychology of watching someone move the piece, and then... that moment... when they remove their hand, and I get to make that quick and precise move that catches them, off guard. The computer just removes so much of the dynamic for me. A buddy of mine used to drop by every day after work, and we would play a few moves a day, and keep the game running for weeks. Lots of fun.

I had thought that maybe playing a game on here would be fun, just posting the moves, but I am not sure how Kevin would take that, with long threads, and then all of the folks commenting in. Might be fun, but like I said, I'm not sure how management would feel.

Michael
    Posted 1 year ago #
  12. bassbug

bassbug

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

There's a thread active right now with 1116 posts about pipes in art

I'd be in for a forum posted game on the condition that the players give a solemn oath on pain of losing their favourite (insert pipe brand here) if they use a computer to make their moves

Posted 1 year ago #
  13. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Egos, yeh, some guys don't lose well. I'd love to lose to someone who has grace and skill, wit and strategy over a f'n computer. I would only be able to play in the evening, as in the mornings and afternoons I am at my bench working while posting. And, I would feel much better if we asked Kevin. This is his sandbox. The forum has been around for a while, so there may be reasons that he wouldn't think that was a good idea that just doesn't come to my mind yet. Or, he may think it's a great idea, especially of people posted pictures of the current board with maybe what pipe and tobacco we are smoking while playing.

But, I could see a problem if five or mare games were going on, on different threads. hmmm

Posted 1 year ago #
  14. sasquatch

sasquatch

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'm a club-level player, I like chess a lot. I play mostly a weird team-oriented style of chess that the internet chess sites can host. We have dedicated teams and we play a form of correspondence chess, usually 3 days per move, and each team discusses it's moves and votes for each move. Not only can you learn a lot (and a lot about how others think through a chess game) but you are sometimes forced to play variations you are not familiar with. It's fun and keeps your chops up without being hugely time consuming.

Posted 1 year ago #
  15. mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

mothernature

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I like to play chess, but not enough to play online. I enjoy playing with friends occasionally, but I tend to lose more than I win. Nonetheless, it's one of the best games ever created.

Posted 1 year ago #
  16. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Sasquatch, that sounds like the first half of the game would be entirely entertaining and educational, but an end game with three days per move could get brain rottingly tedious, especially of it is my team getting chased around a board... having to look at my king... everyday. Ha ha.

I think that is why I prefer face to face. And, sometimes verbalizing possibilities of two to four moves in advance is difficult n(much less, holding the strategy in my mind while playing), mixed in with shooting from the hip occasionally...

Posted 1 year ago #
  17. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I've never played (chess) regularly. I've had little binges in my life. I had a colleague/friend at work who was an advanced player, who later moved on to Go tournaments. My late wife and I played on a little portable chess set, at a swimming pool one time. I beat her in two or three moves. I think she may have set me up, so she could sunbathe.

Posted 1 year ago #
  18. User has not uploaded an avatar

framitz

Login to Send PM

Pawn to k4. Any takers. Shel

Posted 1 year ago #
  19. User has not uploaded an avatar

elpfeife

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The homely fellow playing a game with his father is George Dibos. He has better taste in pipes now.

Posted 1 year ago #
  20. philobeddoe

Philo Beddoe

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I enjoy an occasional game of Chess, but I play Go on a regular basis. Most of my play is against computers, but I do get the board and stones out once in a while.

"So it goes." - K.V.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  21. jvnshr

jvnshr

Mod

Login to Send PM

The homely fellow playing a game with his father is George Dibos.

Right

Posted 1 year ago #
  22. sasquatch

sasquatch

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Cosmic, the vote chess teams are pretty gentlemanly about resigning when it's clear that there's no hope. It is tedious, and we did have one team play out a clearly lost game for about 20 moves longer than they should have, and it held the tournament up. But mostly it's clear to all when things are done, and so you get to move on fairly quickly.

Posted 1 year ago #
  23. mackeson

mackeson

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I enjoy playing quite a bit. My 11 year old has progressed to the point where he kicks my butt. Proud and shamed at the same time.

"Once you go down the Lakeland path, forever will it dominate your destiny."
    -Apologies to Master Yoda
    Posted 1 year ago #
  24. jorchamp

jorchamp

Login to Send PM

I go through binges of playing, then I get bored with it. Then I rather go off and work something artistic. Never got into the mental aspects of the I guess. But it is a wonderful activity for the mind. I would rather play with a friend than against the computer. I like the social aspects of the game.

Posted 1 year ago #
  25. skydog

skydog

Login to Send PM

I like to play on my phone against the computer pretty regularly. Beats a lot of mindless games I've played on there over the years. And it's always fun to challenge my brother to a game. It's obviously more fun in person but playing on the phone when you've got a little downtime is a better brain teaser than most things I think.

Posted 1 year ago #
  26. chilipalmer

chilipalmer

Login to Send PM

I played chess for years. My son has picked it up a few years back and, in short order, got better than me. Those of you who are fathers know that we have to maintain the upper hand on our sons as long as possible, so, I invested in a few scholarly books on the game, read attentively, studied, meditated, and practiced. I am now happy to announce that after months of hard work, I have reached a level of solid mediocrity and can now stay with my son and occasionally win a game.

Cheers,

Chili

“Pipe: a primary masculine symbol with authoritarian overtones but also indicative of reliability and contentment.”
    -The Dictionary of Visual Language, 1980
    Posted 1 year ago #
  27. georged

georged

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

LOL

Yup that's me.

I started playing seriously the summer I was 15, went into full tournament mode for a few years, then stopped when I realized I'd hit the point where serious study would be necessary to progress further. A USCF rating of just over 1900 was my best, and that didn't last long. (I was easy meat for the serious guys).

My dad never stopped loving the game though he was just a "coffee house" tactical player, and for a long time after I quit I'd humor him with a game or two whenever I'd visit, which is where the pic came from.

I still have the Sav Autograph I'm holding. Smokes just fine, though deep bent shapes never became a favorite. I'll add it to my daily photo series shortly.

Thanks for the memories, and thanks to the member who alerted me to the thread.

Oh yeah --- there was another kid in the KC chess club back then who went on to become an International Master. Michael Brooks. He kicked my ass routinely.

https://ratings.fide.com/card.phtml?event=2000334

Dogs live such short lives... and spend most it waiting for us to come home
    Posted 1 year ago #
  28. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Played a bunch as a kid. Played some more when my son was ten or twelve. Pretty much even, but we stopped before he could routinely beat me. Might give it a go this Thanksgiving. No interest in computer chess.

Q to whatever: Checkmate! (Did I miss some steps?)

I know that you believe you understood what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  29. mawnansmiff

mawnansmiff

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I played a lot when in school but seldom afterwards and then only with my Father. My game of choice is Scrabble, I can play that 'till the cows come home providing I have a good opponent.

Regards,

Jay.

...take up thy stethoscope and walk...
    Posted 1 year ago #
  30. seacaptain

seacaptain

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I just started playing again last summer, after a 25-30 year break. I actually started studying the game this time and have improved a fair amount in the last 6 months, enough that I'll probably play in a USCF tournament or two this year. My ELO is probably in the 1200-1300 range, but who knows until you actually play in a rated tournament.

Posted 1 year ago #
  31. indianafrank

indianafrank

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I've been playing chess off and on for 50 years...and I'm still a bad player.

I don't know where I'm going...but sooner or later I'll get there.
    Posted 1 year ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   carolinachurchwarden, mawnansmiff, sumusfumus