PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

briarfanatic

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 27, 2013
Good evening
I was in faders in towson, MD last weekend and rejoiced in the number of pipe smokers I saw at the tobacco bar during the L'antra trunk show (an unexpected surprise. My wife even scolded me and said if I did my homework and knew before hand we could have budgeted for one. They were beautiful and my eye caught several takes on the Rhodesian). My question: are there any clubs in central Maryland? I am in Columbia and really do not want to fight northern Virginia traffic. I have been smoking a pipe for over 15 years and my wife is sick of me having only her to rant about this topic.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Someone did start a club over in Bel Air, at the Main Street Cigar shop:

http://www.mainstcigar.com/

But, I haven't heard anything on various forums for a while.

I met the Baltimore (Chesapeake Pipe Club?) group at Richmond. They meet at one of the Faders. A nice group of guys, I knew Dave who lives in York, PA who is a member.

I live up in Hagerstown.

bvbriar

Lurker
Jan 16, 2013
I'm in New Market just to the East of Frederick. No clubs in the immediate area that I'm aware of, though a local gathering would be great. The Chesapeake club that Al mentioned meets the second Monday of each month (IIRC) at the Fader's location in Owings Mills which is conveniently just down the street from my office. Jeff Goldman, the manager of the store and I believe admin of the club is a great guy.
Al, it was nice to finally meet you at the CORPS Expo last month. I was busy at my table but really enjoyed our chat.

jpbass

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 13, 2011
Baltimore, MD USA
I live in Northeast Baltimore City, minutes from Towson, and visit that Fader's location often. Great place to hangout, try tobacco, and talk pipes. There's a nice little scene happening with some younger guys getting into pipes.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
It was great to meet you Jason. You can be proud of your table at Richmond and your setup, it was very professional and your restored pipes were restored beautifully! Hopefully we can get together for a smoke some time.

yuri66

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 17, 2010
We were talking about getting something going here in Winchester, but due to other commitments and such it seemed to pittle out. Al and I have talked a few times of getting together at JB Hayes or at the Casa seeing as I have a smoking room (the bar, unfinisched) however heated with pool table and refreshments.

If we want to attempt another run at this let me know.
Yuri

jpbass

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 13, 2011
Baltimore, MD USA
You guys in the DC area have W. Curtis Draper. I was there in August and thought it was awesome. Will have to make another pilgrimage soon. I bought Golden Sliced in bulk and an aromatic called Sir Francis (anybody ever tried this, opinion ?) which is currently my favorite aro.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
JP: Thanks, I had never heard of this shop till now. Which Draper location did you visit? Their website with the two locations doesn't show much. Their Facebook only features cigar-related photos. I pass by Bethesda occasionally, and it it was pipe worthy, I'd make a stop. The DC location is too much of a hassle for me to reach.
http://www.wcurtisdraper.com/locations-hours/w-curtis-draper-tobacconist-bethesda-md/

briarfanatic

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 27, 2013
I was in the Dc location last spring.they have many McClelland bulks, full Virginia flake at 11 bucks a tin. Overall, it is a nice historic store where several presidents purchased their pipe tobacco and cigars from.

taerin

Lifer
May 22, 2012
I live an hour and 15 mins away from Fader's, I go there sometimes. It would be nice to have a pipe club over there. My gf lives right there, a few minutes from the shop.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I'll be in Annapolis on Saturday (Nov 23rd) and hanging at the Smoke Shop there OR I can head to one of the Faders locations if forum members are interested?

The wife and I are going to Annapolis for a night on the town Friday evening. She has some gov't meetings on Saturday, so I'm left to my own devices (she's catching a ride back to Hagerstown with folks in here group.

Anyone available or interested?

Status
Not open for further replies.