PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
I'm just starting the restoration of my grandfather's 1972 F-100 Sport Custom, that he bought new in 1971.

My dad just gave it to me a couple of months ago, and I'm planning on doing a frame-off resto on it.

It's been neglected for a long time, and is a shadow of its former self, but it's not a total basket case.

The body is fairly straight, with the only real dent being in the passenger door.

There's minimal rust, a small section on the passenger side of the hood, a small spot on the side of the bed, and a few small spots around the drip rail on the cab.

There's also a small hole in the passenger floor pan, but other than that, the interior is in great shape.

I should say, the bottom of the bed is rusted pretty bad, and will need to be replaced. I haven't yet decided which direction to go with that yet.

It's got a 390 big block in it, with a C6 tranny.

So far all I've done is bought some parts to rebuild the engine.

Here's what I've bought so far;
Lunati VooDoo .542/.550 cam and lifter set

Sealed Power .30 over pistons

Fel-Pro complete gasket kit

Clevite Mahle main and rod bearings (.10 under)

Sealed Power Mahle .30 over rings

14"x 3" chrome air cleaner

An original 1972 grille, inserts, and headlight bezels (mine is a little beat up)
I also bought another 390 for parts which had a lot of goodies on it, including;
Holley Street Dominator aluminum intake manifold

Barely used .10 under crank and rods

Cast aluminum valve covers
Not long before the truck was parked I had quite a bit of stuff done to it, which shouldn't need redoing, but I'll have checked out anyway, including;
Shaved heads

Full length headers

Complete valve job

New radiator

Completely gutted and rebuilt tranny
I plan on making some mods to the suspension and frame as well, such as a late model Crown Vic front end swap, and relocating the gas tank to the rear using a 70's Mustang tank and fabricating a fuel door into the bed.
The original color of the truck is a two-tone aqua blue over white with a chrome strip separating the two, with a white roof and aqua blue interior.

I plan on keeping the same colors... But different!

My plan is to do away with the chrome down the center, fill in the holes, run a 3/4" charcoal grey pin strip in its place. The white will remain a basic white, but the blue...... I plan on doing a candy aqua blue, with heavy silver flake, outside and inside!

I've always been a big fan of flaked out paint jobs, and always wanted one of my own.
The interior will get a reupholstered seat, new steering wheel, insulation and charcoal grey carpet.
I plan to top it all off with 18" wheels in front, and 20" in the rear, all wrapped in some nice wide rubber.
This is my first time doing anything of this sort! The plan is to do nearly all of the work myself, with the help of my buddy.

We're both industrial maintenance mechanics, with extensive backgrounds in metal working, so we're not exactly clueless when it comes to that part.

That being said, neither one of us claim to be body workers by any means!

My buddy also builds engines as a hobby, but he's a Chevy guy, and doesn't have much experience with Blue Ovals.
Any tips and/or advice would be greatly appreciated!
Ps. I'll try to post some pics when I can get around to it.

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
Sound like a great project. I love those F-100's. I watch "Gas Monkey Garage" and they do those F-100 pickups right, very clean and fast.

I have a project. Not something I want to do on the cheap. My parents bought a 1966 Mustang Fastback 289 in 1965. I now am the owner of it. Needs a full resto but is all original.

for now it sits in the barn(yep the old car in a barn still exist)

:crying:

irish

Lifer
Aug 12, 2011
Texas
Sounds good. I like the F-100 from that era. I have owned a 71 and 72 but never went to the extremes you are going too! I bet it will be a runner. I am restoring a 1951 Five window Chevy pickup. I have owned it for many years and drove it like it was for the last 5 or 6 years but just in the last few months me and my son have taken it down to the frame. So far we clipped the front end with a Camaro clip replaced the rear end with a Ford 9 inch and blasted and painted the frame. We are at a stand still due to funds but are saving and in the planning stages for a new motor and tranny. It has been a fun father, son project. Sometimes I think my son gets aggrivated at me because I won't let him just throw stuff together but in the long run he will be happy we didn't cut any corners. He is definitly more about " wanting to drive it than build it" LOL.. but we will get there. Good luck on your build.

escioe

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 31, 2013
Sounds like a perfect candidate for a Cummins 4BT turbodiesel swap to me. Double or more the mileage of the 390 and give up little in terms of torque. Plus it'd be different.

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Up until a few years ago I always had an old car to play with,mostly Studebakers and 60's Mopar's.Wish I had kept two of them, a 53 Stude coupe with a 327 Chebby and a 64 Plymouth Sport Fury with a 426 Street Wedge and 4-spd.

Your F-100 project sounds cool !

jitterbugdude

Mar 25, 2014
I restored my 73 F 100. Rebuilt the engine, the three on the tree trans, new cab corners, leaf shackle bushings... The whole works. Everything is stock. I also have a 74 Ford van as well as a 72 Vega wagon. Stay away from POR-15 it sucks!

simnettpratt

Lifer
Nov 21, 2011
Used to be a body man and we restored quite a few 50s and 60s American cars, including some frame off, acid dipped 57 Chevys.
Spent three years restoring an old Ford Ranchero for the owner of the shop. It was finally done and needed only a trip to the mechanics for a tuneup. I drove it back from the mechanics to the shop. On the way, a little old lady turned right in front of me and totalled it. Fortunately, the guy from the car behind me came running up and said he was an off duty cop, saw the whole thing and he'd be my witness.
Boss never got to drive it. Really wish I had a cherry 67 Mustang coupe to give him.
I was going to restore a Triumph TR6, but put a 302 in it (it fits). Bought the 302 but never found a TR6 that was less than 50% rust. Would have been a beast.

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
Thanks guys!

Keep the stories coming, I really enjoy reading them!
@escioe. That would be interesting, but I'm gonna keep the original engine, just hopped up a bit.
@jitterbugdude. How come you say to stay away from POR-15? I've heard quite a bit of good about it.

natenice1

Can't Leave
Jun 15, 2014
Never did body work but older motors, best one was a 1953 Buick 263 ci. Fireball straight eight!

sidious

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 30, 2014
My 6 year old son and I are working on our 1974 Beetle. She might not be much to look at to some, but she is a thing of beauty to us. I cherish the time spent working on Beetles with my dad and hope my son will do the same.

radio807

Can't Leave
Nov 26, 2011
New Jersey
I've been a motor head since I was a kid. The only toy car I have right now is a '64 Skylark. I probably had over 30 cars throughout the years, beginning with a '56 Dodge Coronet that I paid $22 for. When I was younger I could never afford to restore any of my cars body-wise (almost all were rust buckets), but I had all of them running perfectly. My only two restored cars were the Skylark and my '62 Studebaker GT Hawk. I sure wish I had kept the GT, even though it got old having to repeatedly explain to people that the 289 engine wasn't made by Ford. My favorite call of all time was my trusty, rusty '52 Packard Mayfair. A buddy of mine said the Packard had a such smooth ride not because of the suspension, but instead that the car was so heavy it flattened out the bumps as it rode over them.

Mar 30, 2014
wv
My father and I have done up more than a few. MGB, Chyrsler, Cadillac, Plymouth, Triumph.

Good luck and congrats on your Ford.

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
I restored several (and by restore I mean bone-stock original, not destroy it with a bunch of aftermarket hotrod crap that didn't even exist when the car rolled off the line), learned my lesson well. No way you ever get your money out of it. Even if you keep it 20 years and wait for the value to catch up, by then it needs another resto. From now on I buy em totally, recently restored, keep em a couple years and then flip em for a nice premium.

unholy1

Might Stick Around
May 4, 2014
Many over the years.
I currently have a '40 Chevy Sedan Delivery. Chopped 2", sectioned 3 1/4"; sedan doors, mild 327 etc. Also have a '48 Chevy truck that has been rat rodded with a 292 Chevy straight six. Then there's the race car: Steve Morris built 382 SBC with an F-1 Procharger. It's run 9.14 in the quarter on a soft tune. It'll run 8.8x on full kill at 1,100 hp.

jeepnewbie

Jul 12, 2013
Byron
www.facebook.com
Pete I enjoy a bit restoring besides pipes. I have a 88 Wrangler I bought in Hawaii that was five different colors. I bought it as a beater but wanted it to still last, so I figured I would do the work on it to extend the life of it. I ended up replacing quite a bit and having to rework some metal into it. I'll add some pics of the progress as it went, I took a ton of photos. My kids love the vehicle, still needs a bit of engine work though. If its too many pics I can remove them, however I think we all love pics. Post some of the truck before you start the work on it.

I've heard good things about por15 also, knew a guy in Hawaii that used it after a big rust removal and clean up to prevent further rust. I know if not a proper rust cleanup is done it basically could lock the rust in to fester and make it a pain later on when a proper job is attempted. I will also say try and stay away from bond-o, use fiberglass instead, it is harder to work with but it will flex and not crack from what I've seen. I used it on a few rust through spots and on my floorboard driver side of the Jeep. Its been holding up great since 07-08 when I did the work.

jeepnewbie

Jul 12, 2013
Byron
www.facebook.com
Forgot to mention if its the drip rail above the door, I don't remember any others get you some rust jelly put it on there. Let it set for a while then work it with a wire brush. If you are super skilled with a welder and its not too thin you can weld a bead up there then grind it down to rework it. I say use some fiber glass after all the rust is removed, and you have to be sure its all gone or it will be back and mess up the fiberglass epoxy. I forgot what brand it is but you can buy the fiber mat and jelly at most auto part shops.

Status
Not open for further replies.