PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

yaddy306

Lifer
Aug 7, 2013
Regina, Canada
This Sunday is the 101st Grey Cup game.
The Saskatchewan Roughriders host the Hamilton Tiger-Cats.
Former UNC Tarheels star Darian Durant faces off against former Temple Owls star Henry Burris.
Opposing coaches are Kent Austin (Ole Miss, Cornell) vs. Corey Chamblin (Frankfurt Galaxy, Jacksonville Jaguars).
Anyone else going to watch this weekend?

piperl12

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 7, 2012
I'll be watching though not a huge fan of Canadian football. East and West playoffs and the Grey Cup just because I like football and its a Canadian Tradition. If I had my druthers though I would be matching my Patriots beat any other team on a Sunday night.

blueeyedogre

Lifer
Oct 17, 2013
I've live in Saskatchewan all my life and am a die hard Riders fan. I have watched every game this season and can see Mosaic stadium from my balcony! The Rider Nation are among the most loyal fans in any sport and having the Grey Cup in Regina is going to be huge. This game is especially tense as Hamilton Coach Kent Austin has had Grey Cup wins in the past both as a Quarterback and as a Coach with the Saskatchewan RoughRiders! Hamilton's top receiver Andy Fantuz came into his fame as a receiver for the Rider before he tried his luck in the NFL and then returned to Canada as a Hamilton Player.

slownumbers39

Can't Leave
Jul 29, 2012
My wife and her family are from Saskatchewan and they are all Rider Nation people and they are THE most loyal fans in the CFL, IMHO. I am an Edmonton Eskimos fan and they have not done well lately, so my ability to rib my wife's family has gone way, way down.
Just bought 20 Grey Cup tickets, hoping one of my scores matches up to the game score so I can at least make some money on the game. For the record, I am betting on the Riders to win.......as painful as that is to do.
We are having a Grey Cup party at our house on Sunday and expect to have a fair number of people attend for the game. Should be an interesting game if you are into CFL football.

yaddy306

Lifer
Aug 7, 2013
Regina, Canada
You gotta love the Roughriders.

Community owned (one of only 4 football teams in North America).

More Grey Cup losses than any other active team.

Fewer Grey Cup wins than any other active team.
Smallest market in the CFL, but still more merchandise sales than the rest of the league combined.
Go Riders!

northernneil

Lifer
Jun 1, 2013
No question Rider's fans are Loyal, but in the past couple of years they have been getting a little out of control. Obviously painting all fans with this brush is unfair, but dealing with Rider Nation in Calgary is a bloody nightmare. It is one thing to show pride, but it is something entirely different to be an ass about it.
All that being said, it'll be one hell of a party in Regina this weekend. And even though the Rider's knocked out my Stampeders, I'll be cheering for them to bring the Grey Cup back to the west!

shutterbug

Can't Leave
Apr 12, 2013
The Grey Cup is always a tradition that singles out one Sunday as a must watch each year.

Secretly, I'm cheering the Ti-Cats, but only because it's an East thing. If the Argos can't take it, then let's keep it in the province!
Shutterbug

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
The Toronto Argonauts are out on the golf course as are the Calgary Stampeders.
Very true, but I love the chant of it when I occasionally make it out to a game. Better than wearing a watermelon on my head!

blueeyedogre

Lifer
Oct 17, 2013
they have been getting a little out of control

There are always the bad apples that are retards that have to take things to far.

Eskimos fan here. I know, I know, nothing to cheer for here.

Edmonton may be out but as far as I am concerned Mike Reilly is one hell of a quarterback. That kid has got nothing but heart and he will be a rising star in no time. Reminds me of Tom Brady when he first started.

Wellington

Dec 31, 2012
I've lived in Saskatchewan my whole life, and am obviously a riders fan. I'm nervous as heck though, its hard to watch them lose it all in the finals more than once. But, its just a game at the end of the day, obviously I want them to win, but Hamilton has been pulling stuff out of nowhere recently. Should be a good game.

mortonbriar

Lifer
Oct 25, 2013
New Zealand
I am back in New Zealand these days, but when i was living in Winnipeg i went to a game, i think it was the blue bombers vs hamilton...it was fun to experience a football game, but i think Winnipeg lost miserably... any pipe smokers here from Winnipeg? I used to shop at thomas hynds for tobacco.

Isaac

ghost

Lifer
May 17, 2012
Next Tuesday I have my appointment to select my RedBlacks season tickets. Can't wait!

canadianbacon

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 7, 2013
Never followed Toronto when I lived there but started watching teh Eskimos when I moved to Edmonton, but I can't bear to watch them lose all season.
In any case, I would put my money on the 13th man.

Wellington

Dec 31, 2012
@ghost

What do you think about the RedBlacks name? I'm going to be 100% honest, I have never heard a worse/lame/non catchy/poorly thought out team name in my life. And its not that I have anything against Ottawa, I used to like the Renegades for the East. I just can't get over that of all the millions of choices they had, they chose 'RedBlacks.' I am going to end up hating that team, sheerly for their name :s.

Status
Not open for further replies.