PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tarheel1

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 16, 2014
Back in the day(2000) I would enjoy a blackberry blend. I have been unable to find another. There is a blackberry brandy and a lot of raspberry blends, but I can't seem to find a blackberry. Any help would be much appreciated. I would love to revisit the memories of my early pipe smoking.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Newmisters Blackberry Brandy mixed eaqually with rubbed out Firedance is a darn fine aromatic smoke. Either if these alone, sucks. But, togather, excellent aroma and flavor.
Might as well add Mixture 79 at that point!

If you're used to regular bulk aromatics or smell over flavor aros, Firedance is not like what you're going to expect. Firedance is a lot like Erinmore flake, in that you have to concentrate on the tobacco flavor. Dont look dirrectly into the blackberry flavor, but by focussing on the tobacco flavor, sipping as slow as if it were a Virginia, the blackberry cream will creep around in your periferial vision. But, if you puff harder to bring the flavor into focus, it'll slip away and burn you. It's an illusive bugger, slippery.

But, by adding the Blackberry Brandy to the mix, you get the aromatic up front to look at while the flake firedances around the edges of the flavor. And, it packs a wallop of a nicotine punch. Not a twist or rope type wallop, but if sipped slowly, it'll slowly sit you down and make you think. You'll know lady nicotine is there, she'll make herself felt.

theediabeticman

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 5, 2014
Paladin cherry is the worst
I wanted to like Firedance - beautiful looking tobacco and unique not pungent smell...but then just blecth.

I smoked a solid 5 bowls before quitting - including charring it and letting it sit for a week

maduromadness

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 3, 2014
California
Erik Stokkebye 4th generation 1982 centennial blend is a blackberry vanilla aromatic...taste like creamy sweet and tangy blackberries.

I must be getting shelf-aged tins of Firedance, because I've never gotten a tin that actually had a very strong topping. It's always been very faint. But, tins never move very fast at The Briary. They tend to set there for a few years. Whereas the bulk aromatics pour out of there in a steady stream, blech. Which is fine by me, because I almost always have access to tins with a few years on them. But, it makes it so that the owner is never interested in getting in newly released stuff.

ericthered

Jul 29, 2014
Suffolk, VA
My local B&M, Emerson's Cigars, has a few bulk blends that contain a Black Raspberry flavored tobacco.

Emerson's Bulk Tobacco Menu.

I never tried the Black Raspberry Blend by itself, but I liked their house blends "Chet's Private Stock" and "Mississippi Morning". Full disclosure, however- these were some of the first tobaccos I tried when I was starting out, and I never was able to pick out the black raspberry flavor. I think I still have these in the back of my cellar, I'll have to dust them off and refresh my memory.

tarheel1

Oct 16, 2014
Thanks, but black raspberry was not what I was looking for. I have tried a few and much prefer blackberry.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Might be fun to make some homebrew blackberry topping. Then just apply it to a tasty mix of Burleys.

ericthered

Jul 29, 2014
Suffolk, VA
Thanks for fixing my link, deathmetal! Sorry about the blackberry/black raspberry mix-up, tarheel1. I have always associated the flavors of the actual berries to be similar, but I've never smoked a blackberry blend tobacco, so I was unaware that the topping flavors were different. Now I need to find a blackberry blend for a side-by-side comparison!

Status
Not open for further replies.