PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

michalski

Lurker
Apr 16, 2013
Hey,
Just wanted to check how popular are airplanes among pipe smokers.
Any pilots here?
Personally, I'm flying 5 days a week as a flight instructor and I'm loving it!
Happy puffing and safe flying:)

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I don't fly, but Mrs. Cortez, aka Shoe Lady, aka She Who Must Be Obeyed is a Cherokee driver. She just has an SEL ticket though.

I passed my FAA Private Pilots Exam with a very high score, but I never took flight lessons. I'd rather blow the dough on pipes.

hunter185

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 4, 2012
Have got about 55 types in my log book....biggest is a 737-800NG - most time is on that bird. But C185 will always be the favorite...

checotah

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 7, 2012
Used to fly a lot, but haven't for a few years. Did a fair amount of Seach/Rescue. Always wanted to get a C-185, outfit it with Tundra tires or floats, STOL kit, and fly the bush in Alaska, but never got around to it. Probably won't, now.

hunter185

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 4, 2012
It's never too late! I did quite a bit of 185 flying in the Northwest Territories, mostly wheel-skis and some floats. A friend of mine has a 185 that I have a set of keys for, but I haven't flown it in a few years. Not quite sure I trust the maintenance that is (or isn't!) being done on it...But I practically lived in that plane 20 years ago when I was first getting into the business. That was my first tail-dragger. The next was a Cessna AgWagon.

flyguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2012
There are a couple of pilots that are members.

Flyguy is one I think.

And, there is Captainbob
Sorry to disappoint, Lawrence, but I have never been a pilot (though I played one in my F-22 simulator game). :lol:

Flyguy is a fly-fisherman only.

michalski

Lurker
Apr 16, 2013
hunter185, that's very impressive. I'm just flight instructing, hopefully will start applying to the airlines within the next 3 months or so.

Out of the airplanes I've flown, Piper J3 Cub is my favorite one:)
Life is good, safe flying and enjoy the hobby!!!

ugh457

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 28, 2013
Brantford, Ont.
While I am not a pilot, it is on my bucket list. For the time being, I fly at my desk with FSX and some Saitek controls ...
desk-600x450.jpg

hunter185

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 4, 2012
I agree, the Cub is a sweet plane. Don't rush into airline flying. The most fun I had with wings was in the small stuff: crop dusting, low level survey, bird-dogging, floats and skis, etc. Airlines are great for the benefits but unless the flying is boring the passengers get mad. I like flying upside down, but they don't seem to. Go figure LOL!

hunter185

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 4, 2012
cynyr - you should go do one of those Top Gun weekends where you play fighter pilot. Haven't done it myself but we used to take up people for 'Top Gun' flights in our acrobatic plane. Did the whole works: loops, rolls, spins, hammerheads, cleaning up puke, etc.

magoo65

Lurker
Apr 10, 2013
Not an airline pilot but unfortunately, I am. See the picture that cynyr posted and that is the reality of flying airplanes.

gwtwdbss

Lifer
Jun 13, 2012
I always wanted to be one. Then I had to get corrective lenses at the age of 11 so my fighter pilot dreams were dashed. Not to hijack, but I love this clip from my favorite cartoon pilot.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0anaCNDvGo

tanless1

Sep 14, 2010
Pop's got a 1975 maul for sale.needs to be reassembled. The mechanic took a

A powder half way through the job and needs to be reassembled.

Bet you could get it for close to 35k. By reassemble I mean replacing the bottom spar

And mend the fabric that was cut to replace said spar.

tanless1

Sep 14, 2010
That old fabric tightens with age, to the point that it cracked the

Spar that runs along the bottom.....rounds out the body.

Status
Not open for further replies.